DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right. I just spoke to a 1-888 agent and she assured me I would need two dishes for H.D. reception. "One receives the basic channels and the other pulls in the high definition".

If it wasn't for this forum, I might have assumed that this DirecTV employee knew what she was talking about.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Granted there is one dish (the 5LNB), that gets most of the SAT signals...
depending though on where you get your SD-Locals from... you could need a 2nd dish.

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Granted there is one dish (the 5LNB), that gets most of the SAT signals...
depending though on where you get your SD-Locals from... you could need a 2nd dish.
Maybe she is confused on that issue; even though, she had already checked my zip code and said locals would be through DirecTV. Maybe, maybe......I don't know, I just thought it was wierd.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Maybe she is an ex-Dish employee? I know that my uncle had 2 Dish Network dishes before he switched to DirecTV.

·
Legend
164 Posts
bluedogok said:
Maybe she is an ex-Dish employee? I know that my uncle had 2 Dish Network dishes before he switched to DirecTV.
I have Dish and TWO dishes ONLY cuase I already had a D500 running 4 receivers so when I added 2 more that were HD I asked them to leave the SD boxes and dish alone and they put up a second dish 1000 to run the 2 HD boxes that said with a Switch I could have combined All 6 receivers (4SD- 2HD) to ONE dish..MY choice

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
rtd2 said:
I have Dish and TWO dishes ONLY cuase I already had a D500 running 4 receivers so when I added 2 more that were HD I asked them to leave the SD boxes and dish alone and they put up a second dish 1000 to run the 2 HD boxes that said with a Switch I could have combined All 6 receivers (4SD- 2HD) to ONE dish..MY choice
Um... Why?

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Is there a web page someplace where you can tell by zip code if your locals require two dishes or a single multi-dish etc?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
frank29 said:
Maybe she is confused on that issue; even though, she had already checked my zip code and said locals would be through DirecTV. Maybe, maybe......I don't know, I just thought it was wierd.
Sure, locals are available thru DirecTV. But there are a few smaller markets that are on a "side satellite" at 72 which means if that's where your locals are then you'd need a 2nd dish. So just all depends where you are at.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
bobnielsen said:
I think the DTV web page for locals used to have that information, but it isn't there now. Only those people who need two dishes for SD will need two after going to HD (the second one is only for SD locals at 72.5 deg.) You can check the list of these at http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa72.html.
Thanks Bob... I did a search for "Boston" on that sat and there is nothing, so I assume that in my case at least all I need is the new slimline multi-sat dish.

Bainbridge Island, Nice :)

·
Legend
164 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Um... Why?
1.Quicker install
2.NO Pro adaptors Needed
3. Both Dishes are out of sight
4.Dish 500 and older receivers we MINE (never leased) and nothing was wrong so why mess with it...JUst added 1000 to new hd boxes.

·
Icon
680 Posts
directvj said:
Thanks Bob... I did a search for "Boston" on that sat and there is nothing, so I assume that in my case at least all I need is the new slimline multi-sat dish.

Bainbridge Island, Nice :)
The second dish is for SD locals only for some DMAs, all HD locals are either on the 99 or 103. If you are a current SD subscriber and you are in one of these DMA's, you'd already have two dishes to begin with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.