DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just purchased a used Samsung H10, no service or sat currently, but I am trying to use it for the OTA ATSC tuner. It has an access card but basically I've gone through guided set-up and since no Sat it won't go past the gathering guide info. Also, if I skip the guided set-up w/menu + down on unit and try to manually go to "Antenna Setup" it is greyed out.

I tried using a friends old Sat hook-up hoping if it downloaded the guide info the OTA would work, but it [Sat] was installed around 1999 so probably not angled correctly. I called D* and spoke with only one tech, she was under the impression that the tuner should work even w/out Sat, but misinformation seems to be their goal sometimes.

Anyway, next plan is to try a Sat install I know is working, if no luck will probably eBay it. I guess it's possible the box may be defective, if not it's kind of annoying that a company purposely makes a device useless when someone actually paid for it...Any useful info or ideas would be appreciated.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for replying, just thought I'd give an update.

Basically I connected the box to a working dish, it got signal and guide info, and said I'd have to call to get service etc. The OTA started working also. I also disconnected the dish and the OTA continued to work, even after turning it off and on.

The dilemma is once power is disconnected from the box it looses the guide info. So my next plan is to buy a UPS and hook it up at the dish location, then bring the UPS and H10 back home. That should get me going, not sure if there is a timeout before the box locks up without a dish connected though.

I would just install a dish, but my apartment doesn't allow it. The reason I am trying to use the H10 just for the OTA is an ATSC set-top costs at least $180 retail and prices will probably drop to below $50 in the text two years, so if I can buy a device for $50 now meant for D* that does OTA it's worth it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.