1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following 3 components with HDMI outputs:

Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player
HTPC (ATI 1600x Pro Video Card)
DirecTV H20-100

All 3 are connected to a Monoprice HDX-501 (REV 2.1) 5x1 HDMI switcher using 3ft Monoprice 24 awg HDMI cables.

The output from the switcher is connected via a Monoprice 25ft 22 awg HDMI cable.

Everything works great when watching the HD-DVD player or the HTPC (super sharp 1920x1080p desktop).

However, when I select the H20 input, my screen just flickers blue (the default projector background color). The H20 is setup to output everything as 1080i (I disabled the other resolutions).

The only way I can get it to work is to power the H20 off for a couple of minutes, then connect it directly to the projector, bypassing the HDMI switch. When it boots up, the projector locks on and after downloading the channel guide and what not, it works.

Then, leaving evertying on, I can plug the H20 back into the HDMI switch and everything works great, until I switch to one of my other HDMI sources. Then, when I go back to the H20, I'm back to the flashing blue screen.

I saw a couple of other posts about issues with the HDMI port on the H20-100 models. Is that what I'm experiencing here? The Monoprice switcher is fully HDCP compliant, as is my projector.

Thanks!

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Yes, this looks like an H20 HDMI problem. Some of the cable boxes have problems like this also. I know DirecTV are working on these issues and so are some of the TV manufacturers. I assume this problem is in the H20 but it's remotely possible it's in your projector, despite the fact that your other two devices work OK. I read a report saying how bad the HDMI spec was and it's possible the H20 implementation is to spec but there's something in there that the projector does not like.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there sure seem to be a lot of folks with HDMI issues. I guess most of them are caused by that darn HDCP protocol.

Prior to the Sony Pearl, I was using a Barco 1208/2 projector with a DVI to VGA converter with HDCP, and I never had any issues with my H20. Then again, I wasn't using a HDMI switch either, so how knows...

I'm hoping that someone else here has the same setup and can comment on them having this issue as well or not.

· Icon
680 Posts
Most switchers pass the signal through untouched so it's not a problem but I've seen someone else have problems with that particular Monoprice switch. Just a wild guess but I believe the EQ function and/or just the design requires it to be a repeater instead of just pass the signal through untouched and the H20 isn't handshaking correctly with the repeater functionality of the switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.