DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I hope someone can give me some clues to what is going on with my setup. I have an h20 and an h23 and an hr21. I only have the problem with the H20 and H23. They will give me a black screen and 0-0 for a channel number. This happens after about 2 days of working properly. My HR21 never does this. Directv has replaced one receiver and the LNB checked all connections. They do not know what the problem could be. I hope someone can give me some additional information on what else I can check for.

Thank you

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

My first question would be, if you move the H21 where the H23 is, does the H21 still have problems? If so you have a problem inside the receiver. If not it is more likely a cable issue.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

My first question would be, if you move the H21 where the H23 is, does the H21 still have problems? If so you have a problem inside the receiver. If not it is more likely a cable issue.
They still have problems even if I change the location of the receiver. Directv gave me the H23 to replace the original H20 to see if it was a problem with the receiver. That did not work so they replaced the LNB on the dish and the problem continues. The H23 cable is brand new from an install done about 2 weeks ago. The H20 cable is from my original install about 1 year ago. After I reset the receivers they have no problems with picture (no pixilation) and all works as it should. I have changed the BBC on the H20 and the problem still exists. I am stumped :confused:

· Icon
568 Posts
try doing a forced dl. had a customer do it, then turn off rec/power back on after a minute. seems to have worked, but i don't have any long-term data on it. try it, and then check the next day if it's still resolved, if nogo, please post back.

forced dl: reset by red button or in menu. once "hello..." screen come up, press 02468 should say "downloading, please wait do not power off receiver" or some junk like that.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:) So far so good. The problem has not come back yet. It's been 2 days since the reset Thank you for your help. I hope my problem is now solved. I will post again to this thread if my problem returns.:)

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xIsamuTM said:
no prob. "Have I addressed your DirecTV concerns for today?"
hehehe...
Ha Ha Ha :lol: Thanks again. Your suggestion has worked. So far everything is working the way it should. The suggestion to unplug the receiver for more the a minute was the key. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future. :D

· Godfather
440 Posts
The unplugging of the receiver thing is the "standard" fix it for alot of these receiver problems.
Always try this if nothing else works. It's always worked for me in the years I've been with D*.

· Godfather
425 Posts
prezios said:
Hello everyone I hope someone can give me some clues to what is going on with my setup. I have an h21 and an h23 and an hr21. I only have the problem with the H21 and H23. They will give me a black screen and 0-0 for a channel number. This happens after about 2 days of working properly. My HR23 never does this. Directv has replaced one receiver and the LNB checked all connections. They do not know what the problem could be. I hope someone can give me some additional information on what else I can check for.

Thank you
What about additional information?

- Is this a SWM install? If so which one?
- Do you have a KaKu dish?
- Are there switches?
- Do the wires come straight from antenna to H21/H23 box?

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
texasbrit said:
Do you have good signals on the 119 signal strength screen??
The 119 is all at 0 now I have a tree blocking it until the leaves fall. Is this were the lack of information is comming from?
My HR21 has no problems and all 0 from the 119. That is what is confusing me. Why does the HR21 work but not the H20 or H23?

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vitor said:
What about additional information?

- Is this a SWM install? If so which one?
- Do you have a KaKu dish?
- Are there switches?
- Do the wires come straight from antenna to H21/H23 box?
There is no SWM
5 LNB Dish
No switches
Wires direct to all recievers.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
What channel are you leaving the box on at night?

Try setting an autotune event on a channel that comes from 101, say ch 100 or 201 for 30 to 60 minutes each night.

What you are most likely experiencing is a loss of guide data by not having the 119 available if your constantly (or at least a vast majority of the time) on the 103 sat.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RobertE said:
What channel are you leaving the box on at night?

Try setting an autotune event on a channel that comes from 101, say ch 100 or 201 for 30 to 60 minutes each night.

What you are most likely experiencing is a loss of guide data by not having the 119 available if your constantly (or at least a vast majority of the time) on the 103 sat.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that tonight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.