DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to completely hide HD channels on the H21-100? When I type in a channel number from the remote, it automatically goes to the HD version of the channel, but I want it to go to the SD version.

I have been to the setup screen which shows the option of hiding SD duplicates, but I need the opposite: hiding HD duplicates.

Background info:
DirecTV told us that we must have an HD receiver to get our local stations, so we did, but we do not have HD programming or an HDTV. We also have a Series 2 TiVo with IR blaster. Both the IR blaster and the DTV remote "type in" a channel number to change the channel, and both go directly to the HD channel.

We have removed the HD channels from the on-screen guide in the receiver's setup, which fixed the guide and channel up/down, but does not apply to typing in a channel number.

· Godfather
440 Posts
Not saying this is correct, but they probably told you you HAVE to have an HD receiver to get the locals because of the digital transition coming up in Feb. '09. The older SD receivers may not be capable of OTA digital reception??
And, I don't think there is a provision to disable the HD access on these receivers???

· Registered
7,910 Posts
liz1975 said:
Is there a way to completely hide HD channels on the H21-100? When I type in a channel number from the remote, it automatically goes to the HD version of the channel, but I want it to go to the SD version.

I have been to the setup screen which shows the option of hiding SD duplicates, but I need the opposite: hiding HD duplicates.

Background info:
DirecTV told us that we must have an HD receiver to get our local stations, so we did, but we do not have HD programming or an HDTV. We also have a Series 2 TiVo with IR blaster. Both the IR blaster and the DTV remote "type in" a channel number to change the channel, and both go directly to the HD channel.

We have removed the HD channels from the on-screen guide in the receiver's setup, which fixed the guide and channel up/down, but does not apply to typing in a channel number.
As you've discovered, the receiver defaults to the HD version of the simulcast when keying in the channel numbers. If you go to the guide and select the channel it will take you to the SD version.

I have an HR21 being used on an SDTV and have the same complaint. The good news is that when I'm ready to upgrade that TV to HD I'll be good to go with the receiver.

bobojay: This has nothing to do with the digital transition. It sounds like the OP got some bad information when he signed up.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
First, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Second, I'm not clear from your post if you can see the HD channels or if you get an error when you try to tune to them.

If you get an error, unfortunately I can't help you. However, for those who use HD receivers on SD TVs... I've done this in the past and the best option seems to be to go into setup and tell it you've got an 4:3 TV, and set the format to Crop. This cuts the left and right edges of the screen off which is what's being done on most SD mirrors now anyway.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bobojay said:
Not saying this is correct, but they probably told you you HAVE to have an HD receiver to get the locals because of the digital transition coming up in Feb. '09. The older SD receivers may not be capable of OTA digital reception??
No, it was that my locals were only being broadcast from sat 99 (or at least that's what they told me). I went through many phone calls and many different versions of the story and finally ended up with a 5LNB dish and an HD receiver just to get locals that aren't even available in HD in the first place. I really just wanted to stick with my SD TV & receiver until I upgrade TVs. I wasn't anticipating the added complication of the HD channels being the same number.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Second, I'm not clear from your post if you can see the HD channels or if you get an error when you try to tune to them.

If you get an error, unfortunately I can't help you.
Thanks for answering. That does happen to be my issue. Since I haven't purchased HD programming, I see "Channel not purchased".

I wonder if it's possible for D* send me a channel lineup that excludes HD programming?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.