DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very curious, given all the discussions about OTA lately...

Would you really use an AM21 with an H21? I mean really? I'm very curious to see the answer.

Please only answer if you have an H21, and tell me if it's a 100 or 200, I'm curious.

· Registered
15,592 Posts
It's one of those "It Depends" answers. If DirecTV gets going with adding all the local ATSC channels, including the subchannels, then no I don't need one. But if they drag their feet (like where's at least the PBS main channels) then I can see wanting one, especially as the NTSC cutoff approachs and things aren't progressing with additions.

· Icon
528 Posts
I am waiting for this functionality, for no other reason than to stop using the tuner in my TV for a couple of reasons... no guide data, requires switcing inputs, and my TV is remote from all my equipment so I can't do Dolby Digital without running optical from the TV, etc.

I would want it to do subchannels with guide data as well--at least for those that actually have it like RTN, WCSN and the 3 PBSs we get here. Without that it's probably not worth it as much.

I also waiting for them to activate the NIC so I can do PPV from the H21 as well.

I have an H21-200

· Legend
329 Posts
I'm running the H21-100 and I would only add the AM-21 if if were FREE which is not offered for this box.

Output to an HD TV that has it's own antenna input for HD locals whch is a little cumbersom to my wife who is technically challenged.

J C

· Godfather
288 Posts
When DirecTV first started offering locals in HD, I was hesitant to disconnect my OTA antenna (I was using an H20 at the time), although I did eventually.

I've got two H21-200s now and wouldn't consider purchasing AM21 for them as I find I'm perfectly content with their present configuration and the local channels I get over the Satty.

· AllStar
103 Posts
I recently received a H21-200 as a replacement for a fried H20-600 and consequently have lost the OTA capability. I used OTA for PBS and local weather in addition to MY20. I would absolutely use an AM21 with my set up.
Please add this functonality soon!!

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gee, I guess everyone else with an H21-200 is pretty happy with sat-delivered locals.

· Mentor
40 Posts
I just got two H21-100s to replace my old H10 receivers. I used OTA in those situations where I had signal loss during the frequent Miami, FL thunder storms. I too miss the subchannels. No rain, No gain.

· Icon
528 Posts
That's a good point someone raised, I'd use it today for WCWN, WMHT and after February, WNYA in HD since those are not available with DirecTV here in Albany and I use the ATSC tuner in my TV to do it now and Media Center (for ALL my OTA HD) to record it.

· Hall Of Fame
1,561 Posts
h21-100, no local hd available from Directv, and yes I would probably buy an AM-21 if it worked with the h21-100 and it was reasonably priced.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
The reason I have a HR21 & AM21, instead of a H21 or H23, in the kitchen is because I want/use OTA.

If the AM21 works with either, I would get one, and move the HR21& AM21 to a new location.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I wouldn't have a need for OTA on my H21. As it stands right now, I use OTA for Weather Plus and PBS but it's something I can go without on my H21.

My DMA also has everything but PBS in HD.

2 Posts
I just had to turn away the DirecTV installer with H23 receiver in hand because I also need OTA capability. This was a part of a free HD Swap DTV was supposed to do with my old LG-3200A receiver. I told the CSR at DTV that I needed OTA, and he said the installer would be able to install the needed equipment...oops guess not.

So yes, I'd like to see AM21 support in both the H21 and H23 receivers.
--
Mike

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
My H21-200 is currently not active (all my active units are DVRs). I have 2 SD DVRs and 2 HD DVRs. Both HD units have OTA (one HR20, one HR21 w/AM21). If I was using the H21 instead of the HR21, I would want the OTA. But because I am not, it is really not relevant.

Carl

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.