DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation - My grandparents have directv and are upgrading one of their tvs to HD. Yes I know. Anyway- they asked me to help them out with the purchase of the tv and upgrading the box, etc. I plan on sourcing a h25 owned box from ebay (called the access card team with RID# to verify). About 18-24 months ago, they had a new dish put on the house (don't know why) that is supposedly HD capable.

Personally, I've never had satellite because cable + internet has always been cheaper, but where they live (400 mi away) satellite is their only option. My knowledge on directv equipment is limited to what I've read about in the last week or so. I will be traveling to stay with them in about 2 weeks for a visit.

My question is - with the h25 being only SWM compatible - can I count on the new-ish dish having the SWM capability? Is there a cut-off date that after a certain point all the dishes that directv installed are SWM? If not - then what other receiver would be best for them? Looking for something that's fast and relatively issue free since any fixing would probably require a service call. Looking for just the HD receivers - they aren't interested in a DVR.

·
Mentor
50 Posts
An H-24 is the previous model that will work on swm and non swm installations. I dont know of a specific date where swm started. If they have more than one receiver and you tell them to look at the dish and there is only one line hooked up to the dish then they are on swm.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Have them (your grandparents) take a good close up (or zoomed in) picture of their dish and email it to you. Then post it here. Also have them count the number of coax wires that come down from the dish. If there is more than one coax, it is not SWM. If there is only one coax, it might be or might not be (depending on what they have for other receivers now).

If they currently have any HD receivers, have them push the dash button on the remote (bottom left) and see what pops up on their screen. It will tell you if there is swm.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be willing to bet that the dish is on the roof somewhere and I'm not about to ask her to be climbing up there, lol.

If I get her to push the dash button, what will tell me/her that they have a SWM dish? Does it just flat out say SWM?

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Wasn't trying to suggest they climb on the roof, but the coax may very well come down the side of the house to a ground block someplace before it goes inside. If so, they could at least tell you how many coax there are from the dish. Also, maybe they can find a convenient place to stand where they can see the dish, and take a picture with the camera zoomed in as far as it will go.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
craiggers14 said:
Thanks guys - Over the phone it was too complicated. I'm going to just go for the h24 instead.
Make sure you have, or it comes, with a "B-Band Converter" (or "BBC") module in case your grandparents have a non-SWiM type HD dish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.