DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup;Fiber to house, 200Mb everything else works ok.
Cat 6 cable from modem to H3. Cable verified. About 6ft long. Tried different cable. No joy.
Tried top and bottom H3 jacks (Other jack has wireless Joey. It's not connecting MOCA but at maximum range so always a little flaky.
When I try internet setup, it says it has configured network, but graphic shows red no connection from H3 to modem.
H3 about 5 years old, configured with 4 joeys, (one is wireless)

I have done a power cord reset and several red button resets.
Any suggestions?
One other question. Have there been any upgrades to the Hopper 3 hardware in the last 3-4 years? Are any planned?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How ? I would connect your notebook by the cable instead of H3 for start ...
Cable verified by cable tester and also works when used with my Samsung 4k DVD player in the rack below the H3.
When I try to download anything it will say "downloading at 700K to 900K and keeps pausing to catch up. After a while it
(Amazon Prime) just gives up and stops and says error or try again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
6-12-2022 at 10:21 PM - PDT

Who is your ISP? If it is AT&T U-Verse there ARE issues with DISH equipment, (especially the H3), and the U-Verse Gateways. I had to have a certified DISH Technician, (NOT a contractor), come out and install a "Hopper Internet Connector" or HIC device. This HIC replaces the use of the built in NIC of the H3 and stabilizes the Network Connectivity between the U-Verse Gateway and the H3.

Also, we are on 4 Wireless Joeys. I found I had to eliminate the WAPs, (we had two), and connect the 4 Wireless Joeys by Ethernet Cable to the Network. We finalized our connections by installing a MESH Network System, (Linksys), and have one MESH Node at each and every TV location. Each Wireless Joey connects to each MESH Node which then communicate to the primary Router Node. That Node connects to the Gateway, and the HIC connects to a Gigabit Switch, (Netgear), which connects to one port on the Router Node.

This was the ONLY way we could stabilize the H3 and keep it connected to our Network. Once everything was in place, the H3 FINALLY was able to Update every night at the appropriate time and receive new Guide info from DISH, AND keep connectivity to all 4 Wireless Joeys. By eliminating the WAPs, we were able to eliminate screen pixelations on all TVs by 99.999 percent.

(See the HIC Thread for details of my setup and a schematic diagram.)

TimeLord04

·
Hall Of Fame
7,491 Posts
6-12-2022 at 10:21 PM - PDT

Who is your ISP? If it is AT&T U-Verse there ARE issues with DISH equipment, (especially the H3), and the U-Verse Gateways. I had to have a certified DISH Technician, (NOT a contractor), come out and install a "Hopper Internet Connector" or HIC device. This HIC replaces the use of the built in NIC of the H3 and stabilizes the Network Connectivity between the U-Verse Gateway and the H3.

Also, we are on 4 Wireless Joeys. I found I had to eliminate the WAPs, (we had two), and connect the 4 Wireless Joeys by Ethernet Cable to the Network. We finalized our connections by installing a MESH Network System, (Linksys), and have one MESH Node at each and every TV location. Each Wireless Joey connects to each MESH Node which then communicate to the primary Router Node. That Node connects to the Gateway, and the HIC connects to a Gigabit Switch, (Netgear), which connects to one port on the Router Node.

This was the ONLY way we could stabilize the H3 and keep it connected to our Network. Once everything was in place, the H3 FINALLY was able to Update every night at the appropriate time and receive new Guide info from DISH, AND keep connectivity to all 4 Wireless Joeys. By eliminating the WAPs, we were able to eliminate screen pixelations on all TVs by 99.999 percent.

(See the HIC Thread for details of my setup and a schematic diagram.)

TimeLord04
You probably could have resolved this much easier / cheaper by using your own router that everything in the house connected to, and turn OFF WIFI in the Gateway (if possible - at least don't connect to it).

·
Registered
50 Posts
You probably could have resolved this much easier / cheaper by using your own router that everything in the house connected to, and turn OFF WIFI in the Gateway (if possible - at least don't connect to it).
7-31-2022 at 9:31 AM - PDT

Actually, NO I could NOT run 'just another router', I had to have Ethernet at ALL Wireless Joey Locations; this REQUIRED the use of the MESH Network. YES, I COULD have turned 'Off' Broadcast SSID on the U-Verse Gateway, BUT this would NOT have turned 'OFF' the WiFI of the U-Verse Gateway. The WiFi on the NVG-599 U-Verse Gateway CANNOT be fully deactivated.

NOW, with the MESH Network, the MAIN Router Node IS our new Router.

YES, I could have also had 'Ethernet over Powerline' installed, but then, under POOR PG&E power grid issues, we'd be subject to routine brown-outs and power spikes that 'could' affect/damage connected equipment. So, for us, the MESH Network was the BEST choice. [EDIT 2:] I believe, for Ethernet over Powerline that you CANNOT put the connection through a Surge Protector. It was my understanding that a Surge Protector can/will filter, or cause interference with Ethernet over Powerline, thus Ethernet over Powerline MUST be connected directly to a wall outlet. We CANNOT have such connections, reliably, in this house due to PG&E limitations with routine brown-outs and spikes. We DO have each MESH Node, TV, Blu-Ray Player, and our one ROKU Ultra 4K Device in the Family Room, and each Joey all connected to APC SurgeArrest 11 surge protection strips.

Nothing, currently is connected to the Gateway's WIFi. ALL Wireless Connectivity is handled via the MESH Network.

As previously stated in the HIC Thread, the HIC Device IS REQUIRED for connectivity between ALL DISH Hopper units AND U-Verse Gateways, specifically the NVG-599, (which we have), and up to and including the 5268AC. EVEN though we've installed the MESH Network, the Hopper3 with Sling STILL has connectivity issues 'seeing' the NVG-599 Gateway. [EDIT:] Thus, the need and requirement of the HIC Device, per Internet Search Findings.

[EDIT 3:] Also, before someone else comes in to mention the use of COAX/RG-6 and Wired Joeys.... As mentioned in the HIC Thread, our COAX Lines are decrepit, old, and have AT LEAST one 90 Degree Bend 'SOMEWHERE' in the walls creating HAVOC over the lines and over TV Equipment. We suffered HUGE issues over U-Verse U300 TV Services BEFORE switching to DISH, because of our COAX Lines. So, for us, this REQUIRED Wireless Joeys, as out of 7 of 8 DISH Installers, (one being a contractor), ONLY the 8th Technician, a contractor, stated that we 'could' make use of Wired Joeys and go 'Ethernet' - STILL requiring the MESH Network, now installed. The other 7 Technicians, ALL DISH Employee Installer/Techs, ALL stated that they would REFUSE to install Wired Joeys in a NON-COAX connected/Ethernet ONLY connection environment "...Wired Joeys REQUIRE COAX".... So, for our home, per my investigations over three months prior to switching to DISH, and 6 Mos. AFTER switching to DISH, our current setup is the PREMIERE Installation, per THREE of the DISH Employee Installer/Techs. I know this to be BOGUS, and that Wired Joeys IN FACT CAN communicate just fine over the Network via Ethernet, per the Contractor Installer/Tech, and per further research in these Forums and outside these Forums. HOWEVER; as stated, 7 out of 8 DISH Installers REFUSE to install Wired Joeys by Ethernet only. (The Contractor DID NOT have Wired Joeys on hand, AND stated that a separate new order MUST be placed with DISH to obtain Wired Joeys. This is where the other 7 Techs came in, and stating that they'd REFUSE to install Wired Joeys per our requirements of Ethernet connectivity, we have what we have now.)

[EDIT 4:] Also, the Contractor DID NOT have an HIC available, it took, (YET), another call to DISH to get a DISH Employee Installer/Tech out of Vacaville Vallejo, CA to obtain the required HIC for our ailing Hopper3 DVR.

<-- IT Technician, I build, maintain, and upgrade PC Desktop Computers, and maintain and upgrade MAC Desktop computers. I'm well versed in MOST things IT Tech with IP protocols.

TimeLord04

1 - 8 of 8 Posts