DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These Hard drives will last maybe a year if DTV does not allow them to spin down while the HR20 HD DVR is off. I agree it should be up to speed when you have it turned on, but it should shut down when off. If a record is needed during off periods the software should see the need to spin-up and record and then turn back off. I have two of the HR20's spinning 24 hours a day!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
COPTERDOCTOR said:
These Hard drives will last maybe a year if DTV does not allow them to spin down while the HR20 HD DVR is off. I agree it should be up to speed when you have it turned on, but it should shut down when off. If a record is needed during off periods the software should see the need to spin-up and record and then turn back off. I have two of the HR20's spinning 24 hours a day!
I have had 6 computers networked with drives running 24/7 for SIX YEARS. Turning drives off and on may actually lessen their lifetime. Many of us who work around computers all the time have noticed far fewer hard drive probems when they are left running all the time instead of cycling on and off. At work, (about 100 machines), we found that leaving the computers on reduced our maint. requirements on the hard drives significantly. It wastes power to be sure, but we found reliability was better.

YMMV, but that's my experience.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
If the drives keep spinning it actually lessens the wear and tear.

Think of it like this... What's the worst wear and tear on your car's motor?

Starting and Stopping...

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RunnerFL said:
If the drives keep spinning it actually lessens the wear and tear.

Think of it like this... What's the worst wear and tear on your car's motor?

Starting and Stopping...
I stand corrected! I hope these things last long enough to get all the bug fixes!!!!:D OTA is a must!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
COPTERDOCTOR said:
I stand corrected! I hope these things last long enough to get all the bug fixes!!!!:D OTA is a must!
I'm with ya there, bro! (OTA). I dread the appearance of MPEG-4/HD-Locals which are scheduled for "before year's end" here in the Des Moines area. I sure hope we get OTA (and all major associated bug fixes) before MPEG-4 shows up!

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hasan said:
I'm with ya there, bro! (OTA). I dread the appearance of MPEG-4/HD-Locals which are scheduled for "before year's end" here in the Des Moines area. I sure hope we get OTA (and all major associated bug fixes) before MPEG-4 shows up!
You bet! I have been exchanging email with an Atlanta channel engineer (46) about the freeze ups during the last Falcons game. He said that Directv was taking their OTA signal and sending it via fiber optic to L.A. and then up to satellite. He wants me to keep him updated on the comparsion of the OTA I receive and my new picture I get with the HR20 HD DVR! So far OTA has better color saturation!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
COPTERDOCTOR said:
You bet! I have been exchanging email with an Atlanta channel engineer (46) about the freeze ups during the last Falcons game. He said that Directv was taking their OTA signal and sending it via fiber optic to L.A. and then up to satellite. He wants me to keep him updated on the comparsion of the OTA I receive and my new picture I get with the HR20 HD DVR! So far OTA has better color saturation!
Given bandwidth restrictions from the sat, OTA is likely to be superior for a long time to come. How much, YMMV, but if one knows where to look and what to look for, the bandwidth (bit-rate) restrictions from D* are apparent. That is why you will see all of D*'s HD programming referred to by many (including me) as HD-Lite. To be fair, it can be very, very good and certainly vastly superior to SD via sat. I watch it a lot. However, if there is a choice of watching the same programming directly on my Sammy TV OTA, that's where I watch.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll refrain from any othe rcomments unrelated to the Hard Disk issue.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hasan said:
Given bandwidth restrictions from the sat, OTA is likely to be superior for a long time to come. How much, YMMV, but if one knows where to look and what to look for, the bandwidth (bit-rate) restrictions from D* are apparent. That is why you will see all of D*'s HD programming referred to by many (including me) as HD-Lite. To be fair, it can be very, very good and certainly vastly superior to SD via sat. I watch it a lot. However, if there is a choice of watching the same programming directly on my Sammy TV OTA, that's where I watch.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll refrain from any othe rcomments unrelated to the Hard Disk issue.
You are correct! I saw that during the World Series. The OTA was just about like having bought a ticket and being there! But, I am hoping DTV does not squeeze to many HD locals on the new bird!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.