DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Godfather
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have only 1 cable connected to the HR20, this will change on Sat because they are coming to install the 6x8 switch. I have my HR20 in bedroom, when we are sleeping, you can hear the drive writing and reading all night. My quick fix is if you tune to a station with nothing on it. For example 94 (in south florida 95 and 96 are used). The unit is quiet all night and not a peep.

What i'm wondering is why can't the unit automatically do this when you power it off with the remote? Now when i get the 2nd cable connected not sure if it this plan will work but it's lead to much less noise each night.

Earl, can someone like this be done? When you power off, it cuts off continuous reading/writing sounds???

Any other "tricks" i can try to lower noise?

Thanks

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Well.. yes and no.

The HR20 is still working when you "turn it off"

It is process guide updates, cleaning up the hard drive, and if you hae anything scheduled.... it is recording programs.

You did find the "quick fix", (and that same fix works for TiVo units). Changing to a channel that you don't receive, shuts down the buffer.

·
Legend
152 Posts
I have the same noise. It is a constant drive coming from the hard drive just like it's trying to access. It has been non-stop since installation last week. It's in my living room and the noise can be heard from a good 12 feet away in a quiet room. I understand the guide updates etc... but that seems like the HD is getting stressed to the max.

·
Legend
183 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
You did find the "quick fix", (and that same fix works for TiVo units). Changing to a channel that you don't receive, shuts down the buffer.
Neat fix. I've been a TiVo user since the intro of the SAT-T60 D-TiVo way back when and I've never tried this trick to shut the drive up. Then again, the drive on the T60 and on my DSR708 seemed to do just fine even churning away. The T60 lasted for 5 years.

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Rob55 said:
Neat fix. I've been a TiVo user since the intro of the SAT-T60 D-TiVo way back when and I've never tried this trick to shut the drive up. Then again, the drive on the T60 and on my DSR708 seemed to do just fine even churning away. The T60 lasted for 5 years.
I put mine in unfinished part of my basement, got an HDMI wallplate ($13 at monoprice.com) a 35 foot optical cable ($12 @ monoprice.com) and switched the remote to RF. Problem solved. ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
I had a more severe sounding chirp with my first unit. The second is considerably quieter.

I never thought of your fix.

Now, if you have dual tuners, since we don't have have dual buffers, why don't you try to record a channel you don't have while you tune to the other (either set up a manual recording or go through the guide)? When the blank recording stops, it'll stay on that (quiet channel).

·
Godfather
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish there was a better way. For my Tivo it was never a problem because it was enclosed in a glass audio cabinet, but this one is in bedroom. I understand if your recording it will be noisy, but if it's doing nothing... The guide update is 24 hours a day all year long? It's always going. I can hear it a good 10-14 ft from the bed. I thought about putting it in a walk in closet to lower the noise but then I need to run cables through the wall just to solve a problem that needs to be addressed.

Heck, if it was just the hard drive type and it was easy to replace, i would go buy a 500g SATA drive and pop it in but if Earl says it took him time, then its going to be quite a chore. But as soon as someone does it and takes pictures.....

·
DBSTalk Club Member
237 Posts
Put my dvd payer on top of the hr-20 to soften the chirping - it helps a bit, my initial worry was about covering the top vents and heat issues, but the internal temp reads the same as always - 122-127 varying.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
RunnerFL said:
I thought the HR20, like the TiVo units, stopped buffering if you put it in standby, not true?
IIRC the HR20 does still buffer when in Standby (at least it used to, haven't checked it ina while)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.