DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What problems can be expected to be corrected by a software update.

Not everyone is having the same problems, but they have the same software version, so what is the difference between those that are having problems and those not having problems, the hardware or software.

The only problem I have had is the Black Screen Bug. It happened to me 3 times in four day, but not in the last 2 weeks. No recording trouble. I do not have an OTA connected so I can not comment on OTA troubles.

Is it the OTA that is causing most of the problems?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Just about 99+% of the issues that have been reported... are software related.

OTA has added their own "twists", but isn't the root of the problems.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that is the case why isnt everyone having the same problems.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
lwilli201 said:
If that is the case why isnt everyone having the same problems.
$1,000,000 question.

Complexity in the software... different events firing in different orders, and so on.

Same "question" on why some systems worked great with earlier versions.. no so good with the latest.... or the reverse.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Yep this isn't just a couple of hundred lines of code.. I would hate to have to debug this..
by the way mines been pretty good.. more reliable than my laptop... but then again I haven't dropped anything on it :( had to replace keyboard so I could post here again :)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know if the HR20 has a BIOS? Could it be corrupt.

Could external electrical interference cause problems? Some other A/V gear, cell phones, cordless phones, or any other thing that could emit RF static.

Well if it is a software problem I can understand why D* is having trouble. How can they change code that is working on one receiver but not working on another without causing more problems?

Equal hardware + equal software = equal problems

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
lwilli201 said:
You are missing the "X" in that equation.
It just isn't that simple.

Just like 1 person on a computer, same hardware... same software.. can have different issues.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
lwilli201 said:
Do you know if the HR20 has a BIOS? Could it be corrupt.

Could external electrical interference cause problems? Some other A/V gear, cell phones, cordless phones, or any other thing that could emit RF static.

Well if it is a software problem I can understand why D* is having trouble. How can they change code that is working on one receiver but not working on another without causing more problems?

except my hardware doesn't match yours.. different tv, switcher, powersource, audio system, cables, ......

·
Godfather/Supporter
854 Posts
you can build two pc's exactly the same, with the same exact specs and software and neither one will act exactly the same as the other. It's all 1 and 0's dude! and sometimes the 1's don't' equal the 0's :)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
houskamp said:
except my hardware doesn't match yours.. different tv, switcher, powersource, audio system, cables, ......
Our HR20's being equal, not other equipment that we may have. That is what I mean.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorahl said:
you can build two pc's exactly the same, with the same exact specs and software and neither one will act exactly the same as the other. It's all 1 and 0's dude! and sometimes the 1's don't' equal the 0's :)
But if the problems with a computer is significant enough to cause many malfuctions, Microsoft does not tweak there software to overcome individual problems in each computer. The computers need to be stable enough to work with identical software. For some reason some HR20's are more stable than others. The question is WHY. I quess I have to admit that better software MAY make unstable receivers more stable. Only time will tell.

Great discussion.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
lwilli201 said:
But if the problems with a computer is significant enough to cause many malfuctions, Microsoft does not tweak there software to overcome individual problems in each computer. The computers need to be stable enough to work with identical software. For some reason some HR20's are more stable than others. The question is WHY. I quess I have to admit that better software MAY make unstable receivers more stable. Only time will tell.

Great discussion.
But they do "adjust" the software to account for different combinations of events that come up with different outcomes... on the same hardware.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
But they do "adjust" the software to account for different combinations of events that come up with different outcomes... on the same hardware.
This isn't even 2 cents, it's only worth a half penny:
Same software, same hardware, but with the timing of the "1"s & "0"s some chip "flop" and some from the same production run "flip". There is way too many square wave pulses running around in these boxes. Oh for the days when you could probe for a voltage...
0.5 cents

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
veryoldschool said:
This isn't even 2 cents, it's only worth a half penny:
Same software, same hardware, but with the timing of the "1"s & "0"s some chip "flop" and some from the same production run "flip". There is way too many square wave pulses running around in these boxes. Oh for the days when you could probe for a voltage...
0.5 cents
yep this is all digital hardware.. analog was so much more forgiving...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.