DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our HR10 250 that we used in conjunction with the new HR20 failed and has been replaced with another HR20. We would like to have both hooked up to our HD Sony (sort a his an hers thing), and would like to use our Harmony 880 to control both without conflicting with one another. We did this with the HR 10-250 and HR20 prior to losing the HR 10 250. I have viewed the posting on how to set up the HR20 remote using the AV1 and AV2 option in the tips and tricks section but have not been able to figure out how to transfer this to the Harmony 880 remote. Any help would be appreciated.

A small side note.....
I appreciate all the effort that the moderators put forth to keep this forum going. The discussion has been a little lively lately, and I hope that this does not discourage your efforts.

Tall Fred

·
Godfather
474 Posts
tallfred said:
Our HR10 250 that we used in conjunction with the new HR20 failed and has been replaced with another HR20. We would like to have both hooked up to our HD Sony (sort a his an hers thing), and would like to use our Harmony 880 to control both without conflicting with one another. We did this with the HR 10-250 and HR20 prior to losing the HR 10 250. I have viewed the posting on how to set up the HR20 remote using the AV1 and AV2 option in the tips and tricks section but have not been able to figure out how to transfer this to the Harmony 880 remote. Any help would be appreciated.

A small side note.....
I appreciate all the effort that the moderators put forth to keep this forum going. The discussion has been a little lively lately, and I hope that this does not discourage your efforts.

Tall Fred
Looking for same information but can't find it related to the Harmony 880. I have the R15 and HR20 so just keep the R15 on all the time and then it turns off when I turn on the HR20 - would like a better solution

·
Legend
203 Posts
I am fairly new to the Harmony, but I cannot see how that would work with the exception of one turning off while the other turns on. Since the signal is being set out and both units are getting it...seems that both would react to it. This is why there are timing delays to counter each time a signal is sent wether it be to the HR-20, TV, receiver etc the HR-20 may look at the code that was sent and decide to react or not. I would imagine that it worked with the other units because of different remote codes. Of course this is all speculation.

·
Mentor
47 Posts
I ran into this problem and if I understand what you are asking then you should be able to create seperate activites for "his" and "hers" HR20s and for the HR20 that is using the other (av1) codes you will have to teach ever single command to your 880 through the harmony interface. its a little time consuming, but that should allow two HR20 devices with seperate remote codes.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
cpbergie said:
I ran into this problem and if I understand what you are asking then you should be able to create seperate activites for "his" and "hers" HR20s and for the HR20 that is using the other (av1) codes you will have to teach ever single command to your 880 through the harmony interface. its a little time consuming, but that should allow two HR20 devices with seperate remote codes.
Does anyone know if Harmony has codes up for secondary HR20's yet?

My backup HR10-250 in the bedroom just died (constant reboots and high temp shut downs) and DTV is sending a replacement that will most likely be another HR20. So, I am concerned with teaching the Harmony 880 all the new IR codes.

Any help would be great.

TIA

Later

·
Icon
914 Posts
I have a SD and HD DirecTV TIVO upstairs. The way I did it was to relearn all of the IR codes for both recievers from the original remotes (remotes were programmed to control their own reciever).

This is the only way I know how to do it and i now it works.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found the only way to run the two HR20's is to set up the second one to use AV1. This process is described very well in the HR20 Tips and Tricks found as a PDF file in this forum. Once you have the original remote set to control the two HR20's seperately you then must add a second HR20 device in the remote programming process. Then manualy learn the the functions using the original remote. Original remote needs to be set on AV1 for this process. Yes this is a long process but well worth it. After the device funtions are programmed you then add another activitiy (such as watch DVR Two)and set up appropriate devices and inputs that need to be used. Hope this helps....

Tall Fred

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Thanks for all your help.

It was easy as pie to set up the 880 after using the AV1 remote settings and not all that time consuming at all.

Now if DirecTV would have just sent me a new access card (prior one was too old to use with the HR20) with the box instead of having to send me another fed ex for the access card, that would have been nice.

It would have also been nice if they would have sent me the two B Band Converters that are supposed to come with the re-conditioned HR20 they sent me as well. They knew I was replacing a HR10-250 with a HR20. No quality control what-so-ever.

Oh well.

Thanks again,

Later

·
I am Iron Man!
1,672 Posts
tallfred said:
Since you have identical HR20s, I am not sure how the 880 will know the difference between the two.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
gcisko said:
Since you have identical HR20s, I am not sure how the 880 will know the difference between the two.
In the set up menu, under the remote tab, you can set up your remote to use a different IR signal to a second HR20 so that they do not interfere with each other. You just set the remote to use either AV1 or AV2 instead of DirecTV after making this change on the receiver.

It it also very easy to program these new IR codes into a Harmony remote as well.

My 880 in the master bedroom now has seperate activities for DirecTV DVR One and DirecTV DVR Two and they do not conflict with each other.

Later

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.