DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
2tonedug said:
is anyone using this remote with their hr20... any problems?
Lots are...seen a ton of reports on this forum, all very satisfied.

I'm using a Harmony 628 remote and love it (I'm cheap)

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Harmony 880 FTW!

The only downside is any of the functions on the original remote that require holding down a button for 3+ seconds (skip to tick and skipping to the start and end of a recording). You can get around this with the 880 by holding down that same button for at least 3 seconds, letting go of the button, and then pressing it once more.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
I've been using the Harmony 880 since it was introduced, first with the HR-10 and now the HR-20. It requires minimal customization, and does some very lovely things that the included remote can't. For example, if you search this forum, you'll find a really neat trick to eliminate the annoying two-steps-to-the-guide "feature" of the HR-20. Similar techniques also give you much more control of the trick-play features of the HR-20.

I have only one remote on my end table, and it's the Harmony 880. All the others are in a drawer, with the batteries removed. I also have lower-end Harmony remotes controlling the AV systems in three other rooms, all of which have H-20 receivers and HD TV's, along with DVD players, VCR's and stereo receivers.

Unfortunately, it appears that Logitech is taking the Harmony series in the wrong direction. Their newest, fanciest, most expensive gadget uses mainly "soft" buttons on a touchscreen. The hard buttons of the earlier Harmony products are what caused me and many of my friends to dump our Pronto's, which were very nicely customizable but really lacking in mechanical feedback and precision. I hope Logitech figures it out and continues to produce hard-button based remotes.

·
Legend
125 Posts
I am using the Harmony 720 which is basically the exact same as the 880 except it looks different, no problems so far except for some reason the back button I programmed in wasnt working right I have to look at that again.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
367 Posts
I have 3 688's. Harmony's rule!!

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
john18 said:
I just upgraded to the 880 on Saturday and it indeed rocks.
Ya, i got mine about 3 weeks ago definatley cool. and its all dialed in. It did take the family a few days to adjust from the touch screen Sony we had.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
I got a Harmony 520, and within a few days determined while it would work, I would prefer one with a better screen and the rechargable battery-- so I took that back and got the 880 from Amazon.

I love the remote. The rest are tucked in the drawer now. I use it to control everything, AV, old DirecTiVo, the HR20, the TV, 2 DVD players, a VCR, and a DVD-Recorder.

After a week I am still customizing some buttons and moving things around-- mostly trying to get the needed functions into each activity mode.

How I like mine customized: Set everything to not turn off after the activity ends. Sure, I could end up with every component turned on after a few hours, but after futzing with my TV, HR20 and my receiver accidentally getting turned off while tuning the customization, I decided that if I use something I pretty much want it to stay on. This is a particularly big deal with the HR20, cause I want to go back to the live buffer if I am watching a DVD or something, and also with the DLP TV, which takes 30 seconds to shutdown and then 20 seconds to turn back on if it gets accidentally turned off (plus it is hard on the bulb).

I also made the "Menu" button do the job of "List" and put "DVR menu" as one of the function buttons for the watch HR20 activity and for the HR20 device.

Also as the default, the "-" button is not set up for the HR20, but it knows how to generate it. The button which is logically where the "-" would be is unused in the 880, but that is a simple fix.

The one con I have -- It is a really pretty remote, but some of the buttons, particularly the Vol +/- and the function buttons on my remote, require more presence of mind to activate than I prefer. I almost wish it was a little less pretty with larger buttons which have travel in them as you press them.

But for ease of use, and to eliminate the clutter- it fills the bill perfectly.

BTW- don't pay over $200 for this remote. Do some due diligence and find it for about $100 less than retail pretty easily. At $150, I think it is clearly worth the extra $50 from the other models-- but I think that $250 is a lot for a remote.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Had the 880 for over a year now and very satisfied. Four things to note:

1) I mapped the Large Arrow buttons ( ^ and v ) to rewind and ffwd. They are a lot easier to find than the regular ffwd and rewind buttons. The replay and skip buttons have little raised dots on them so they are easier to find. I've mentioned this before and other people have agreed, it's a good solution.

2) The Harmony database for the skip button was wrong the last time I checked. I don't know if they fixed that.

3) The latest software, 7.0.2, has a bug where the tilt sensor won't work unless you remove and reinsert the battery after updating.

4) If you are a firefox user, there is an extension called "HarmonyMod" which adds a lot of functionality to the web-based setup. I prefer it over the standalone program (which seems to be nothing but a browser skin anyway)

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
I also have used the Harmony 880 since getting my HR20 and have had no issues whatsoever. All controls work great and my wife loves only having to press one button to watch TV, watch DVD's, etc.

·
AllStar
78 Posts
lamontcranston said:
3) The latest software, 7.0.2, has a bug where the tilt sensor won't work unless you remove and reinsert the battery after updating.
Excellent! I didn't know about that workaround. I was stuck hitting the glow button.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
brewer4 said:
I have 3 688's. Harmony's rule!!
Three 676's here plus an 880 in the HT.

One thing I recently noticed is that the the "B" button on the 676 was programmed by Harmony to be the equivalent of 2 "Guide" presses. ie I press B and the Guide comes up bypassing the the first options screen.

I haven't had time to see if I can move this to the regular Guide Button, but I will this weekend.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Thank you for letting me know I wasn't crazy. One day I noticed the tilt feature wasn't working and just thought it was broken. This would have been after I added an HD-DVD player to it. Then one day the locked up so I removed the battery. I soon noticed the tilt was working again. Didn't put the two together.:blush:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
My 30 second skip is working on the Harmony but the Replay (6 sec rewind) is not. it seems I have to learn that command. Did anyone else have to learn it as well or was it already functioning when you setup the device?

lamontcranston said:
Had the 880 for over a year now and very satisfied. Four things to note:

1) I mapped the Large Arrow buttons ( ^ and v ) to rewind and ffwd. They are a lot easier to find than the regular ffwd and rewind buttons. The replay and skip buttons have little raised dots on them so they are easier to find. I've mentioned this before and other people have agreed, it's a good solution.

2) The Harmony database for the skip button was wrong the last time I checked. I don't know if they fixed that.

4) If you are a firefox user, there is an extension called "HarmonyMod" which adds a lot of functionality to the web-based setup. I prefer it over the standalone program (which seems to be nothing but a browser skin anyway)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mixer said:
My 30 second skip is working on the Harmony but the Replay (6 sec rewind) is not. it seems I have to learn that command. Did anyone else have to learn it as well or was it already functioning when you setup the device?
I think I had to learn it as well.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
There have been several posts saying the 30second skip in their database is wrong. Also, it's worth noting that there's a user forum over at remotecentral.com which has a lot of support info on the 880, as well as channel logos and other graphics:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-harmony/list.cgi

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
lamon....I aksed some of these question over there but I have not received a response and close to 50 views on my posts.

Oh well DBSTALK members are just more helpful I guess. ;)

Anyway i have two other very specific to HR20 questions.

1) What does everyone have the speed for button presses set to for changing channels? I have setup about 12 favorites but none of the 2 or 3 number stations work because the pause between number presses when choosing one of the favorites. It ends up on channel 6 when I meant to go to 26 for example

2) I want to ensure that my HR20 always stays on. I have gone into the section that will allow me to always keep it on but this is followed by questions on how many power buttons the remote has. Can that be avoided. If I am trying to leave it on all the time shouldn't on be able to skip this part of the add process.

Also and very off topic perhaps for this forum but....does it take everyone like 30-60 minutes to make changes to this thing?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.