DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in a post back in November that Harrisburg would get HD channels by mid-December. It's now the end of the year, also when D* said they would have all these markets in HD. Obviously, this scenario is changing.

That having been said, I still haven't heard anything about the Harrisburg market (which is the 41st DMA, by the way). Does anyone know if/when/someday/never the Harrisburg market will get HD locals?

For the moment, the HD rabbit ears we have only pick up some of the locals, most importantly (being Steelers fans) we don't get CBS in HD. It just doesn't come in for us.

·
AllStar
89 Posts
The only response I can give you is the following. DirecTV NEVER meets their stated deadlines. I say we will be lucky to see them by EOQ 2K7, but I hope I am wrong.

·
Icon
692 Posts
Same here in Oklahoma. I was told via email from DTV it would be first part of December. No locals in HD yet. What is even worse I just got my hr20 2 days ago so I'm really eager for them to turn em on! I also am seeing some of the known bugs appear in my DVR but I can live with them. I know one day they will be squahsed. I have emailed DTV again about locals here. I will post their response if given one with any good info.

·
Icon
752 Posts
calwan said:
Still waiting here and the D* website says Harrisburg is to have HD by Fall. Isn;t it now winter?
I got off the phone with retention with an unrelated issue and asked about wilkes-barre/scranton hd locals and she said it would be the end of Feb. for Harrisburg!

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, the end of February. Sounds like End of the 3rd quarter 2007 at this rate then . . .

Anyway, does D* inform you when you're getting your locals so you can upgrade your system, or is this done through the link with the satalites?

·
AllStar
89 Posts
myselfalso said:
So, the end of February. Sounds like End of the 3rd quarter 2007 at this rate then . . .

Anyway, does D* inform you when you're getting your locals so you can upgrade your system, or is this done through the link with the satalites?
Don't expect any notification. You will likely find out that they are now available right here on dbstalk.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Just got this response from D* Customer Service:

Dear Mr. Alwan,

Thanks for writing about your HD locals. I'm sorry for the confusion this have caused. We are rolling out local HD programming. We're already serving several cities and we'll be adding more cities, gradually expanding our coverage over the next two years, as we deploy new satellites that use state-of-the-art MPEG-4 technology. The local channels we offer will carry a mix of digital standard-definition and HD programming. In Harrisburg, PA, HD locals will start to broadcast by late February 2007.

Customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and want to receive local HD programming from DIRECTV will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement after we launch local HD programming in your city.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to our web site at DIRECTV.com/HD for the latest news about HD programming from DIRECTV.

Sincerely,

Portia
Employee ID 100134999
DIRECTV Customer Service

·
6 Posts
Calwan: Any more news on the Harrisburg locals? Seems like D*TV has backed off on the Feb data at least for some cities. Have you had the new dish installed? Did Ironwood do the install? I'm getting an install date in early MARCH!!:(

·
Mentor
40 Posts
I haven't gotten any new info since the e-mail from Directv that indicated end of Feb. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. SuperBowl in high def would have been nice!

I do have the new dish installed and have the H20, but I don't recall who did the install. It was late summer last year.

·
AllStar
89 Posts
I hate to be the pessimist here, but as I stated before, don't hold your breath that it will happen in February. Believe me, I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ironwood does the installs in the Harrisburg area's. Just be careful. Most of the techs seem to no nothing about the new sats. Before they leave make sure that you are getting a 85% or higher on at least 1 of the transponders on 99 and 103 sats. The guy didn't do mine right after telling me that I would not get anything on them sats as this area does not have HD LiL yet. We are within the D.C. and Philly spot beams so you should be getting something. I fixed it myself after he leave as I didn't fell like arguing with him anymore.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
I live in the Hanover area and Ironwood did my install two weeks ago. It took 6 hours for the installer to install/calibrate the dish and run the 4 cables into my garage where they interconnected with the pre-existing cable. The installer was unable to calibrate the dish by himself, so he gave me the Birdog Satellite Signal meter to monitor while he made the physical adjustments. Together, I think that we did a pretty good job. Here are the readings from my HR20 receiver for tonight:

101 (A) (32 TOTAL)
Transponder 01-08 96 95 96 79 94 99 95 98
Transponder 09-16 94 95 96 79 99 99 93 100
Transponder 17-24 86 100 92 73 95 100 94 99
Transponder 25-32 91 91 95 79 96 99 95 100

119 (11 TOTAL)
Transponder 01-08 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Transponder 09-16 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Transponder 17-24 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 97 78 98
Transponder 25-32 0 97 98 97 0 98 40 99

110 (3 TOTAL)
Transponder 01-08 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 96
Transponder 09-16 N/A 95 N/A 96 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Transponder 17-24 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Transponder 25-32 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

103 (6 TOTAL) SPOT BEAM
Transponder 01-08 35 0 42 98 56 98 N/A N/A
Transponder 09-16 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

99 (6 TOTAL) SPOT BEAM
Transponder 01-08 74 15 98 24 88 15 N/A N/A
Transponder 09- 16 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

BTW, when I e-mailed D* re: the Harrisburg locals, this is the e-mail that I received from them on 12 January:

Thanks for taking the time to write us and let us know your concerns about the availability of HD local channels in your area. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused you. Please be informed that Harrisburg-Lancaster, Pennsylvania market area(local market based on zip code as determined by Nielsen Media Research.) is in the list of areas that we will be offering high definition local channels this Late February 2007.

We're committed to providing the best in HDTV programming and we're in constant discussions with program providers to continue adding new channels and programming. So, watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit DIRECTV.com/HD. Stay tuned to DIRECTV.com/HDTV or visit DIRECTV.com/LOCALS for the latest news and announcements as they become available.

I hope that this information has been helpful. If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us by calling our toll free number at 1-800-531-5000.

Sincerely,

Richelle C
Employee ID 100184031
DIRECTV Customer Service

Anyway, at least it appears that D* is still optimistic about the late February date for the Harrisburg HD locals.

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone said why February instead of EOY 2006?

·
Godfather
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We're getting pretty close to late February here . . . any word?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.