Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earl, Chris,

Have either of you heard any feedback from Directv as to how they felt the experiment last night has worked for them? Are they pleased with the resulting data, or encouraged, or (egad) disappointed?

Curious,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Let's put it this way...

They most certainly have noticed, and not in a bad way.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Awesome. All you people lurking in the Santa Comes Twice threads, set the table and belly up. There could be a second helping of holiday dinner on the way. ;)

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Let's put it this way...

Good, I'm glad they feel their experiment was a win-win. It has been for me sofar.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nocaster,

My experience has been very positive. Recorded two OTA simultaneously without problem (tested on 3 units, no lockups, no problems!), even two OTA on a unit with only one satellite tuner enabled (DTivos can't handle 2 OTA in a 1 sat. feed situation), solved my manual recurring recording problems (not OTA, but glad to see the fix in.)

Yeah, if I had the power, I'd release to everyone starting tonight...some problems solved and I've not had any lockups like I had in previous releases (and each release has been better for me.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Icon
968 Posts
thats great. if these "HR20 update windows" become a regular thing, it would be nice to have a mailing list that Earl could send an email to that would go to anyone who opted in letting us know when to 02468 and get the update.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Same here - no issues at all so far, a mix of different recordings OTA and SAT, great PQ on OTA, slightly faster guide and channel changing. I'd release it too.

tibber said:
Nocaster,

My experience has been very positive. Recorded two OTA simultaneously without problem (tested on 3 units, no lockups, no problems!), even two OTA on a unit with only one satellite tuner enabled (DTivos can't handle 2 OTA in a 1 sat. feed situation), solved my manual recurring recording problems (not OTA, but glad to see the fix in.)

Yeah, if I had the power, I'd release to everyone starting tonight...some problems solved and I've not had any lockups like I had in previous releases (and each release has been better for me.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My hope is that Directv has learned that we can be very helpful as a group and therefore they build a user test program around opt-in lists rather than a window approach. Or by a special code to manually force different code bases.

(What does 13579 do?)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Let's put it this way...

Hmmm ... does this mean I'll soon be able to remove

A way to opt-in to software updates that have not yet been released nationally

from the HR20 Wish List Survey?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
brott said:
Hmmm ... does this mean I'll soon be able to remove

A way to opt-in to software updates that have not yet been released nationally

from the HR20 Wish List Survey?
That would be really nice. I've even drafted a brief Opt-In contract for Earl to consider. Along with the positive response last night, it might help D* decide for us. Nothing special -- mainly that we promise to be good in exchange for a custom way to obtain early release software for test/verification.

·
Legend
216 Posts
tibber said:
My hope is that Directv has learned that we can be very helpful as a group and therefore they build a user test program around opt-in lists rather than a window approach. Or by a special code to manually force different code bases.

Cheers,
Tom
Exactly. What a user resource that D* is under-utilizing!

·
Icon
968 Posts
If I were D*, I would make everyone sign up to be a beta tester and give all the specifics of their set-up prior to allowing them to get new software. That places a much higher value to any feedback they get.

They could also send out surveys to improve/speed up the feedback. This message board has great information, but it can get quite "noisy".

But that's the Six Sigma engineer in me talking...

·
Legend
216 Posts
Koz said:
If I were D*, I would make everyone sign up to be a beta tester and give all the specifics of their set-up prior to allowing them to get new software. That places a much higher value to any feedback they get.

They could also send out surveys to improve/speed up the feedback. This message board has great information, but it can get quite "noisy".
No, this is exactly what D* should do. That is a beta program.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
Just J said:
Ditto.

BTW, let's not lose site of other improvements over 0xFA. For example, the real win for me is that recurring manual recordings are finally working properly!! :D :hurah:
so if there is another forced window option would you do it if OTA was NOT a priority for you?

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
ouijal said:
No, this is exactly what D* should do. That is a beta program.
I'd be surprised if they didn't already do this. I think you could refer to this group as the gamma tester program.

·
Icon
968 Posts
brott said:
I'd be surprised if they didn't already do this. I think you could refer to this group as the gamma tester program.
Actually, you're probably right. I just keep thinking I can't imagine being the D* person responsible for sorting through all these message board posts and make a coherant summary of issues. That would drive me nuts.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
I think the best solution might be to create a web page that would take the serial #s (or whatever information is needed to identify one box) of boxes people want to sign up. Then, as D* has done with Earl's boxes and those of others outside the LA area, they could send the update and our boxes would update automatically.

They could do this for each release, allowing you to sign up (or not) as you wish. It'd solve the problem of people signing up but then losing interest down the road, it'd solve the problem of adding new users, etc.

DBSTalk could even host such a form or in some way tie it into the # of posts a user has, their reputation, whether they've paid the $15, or some other ways - whatever they deem appropriate.

Also, since so many people missed the update that wanted it, a 12- or 24-hour advance window for signup would eliminate the problem of people not checking late at night and forcing a download.

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.