DBSTalk Forum banner

Has your HR20 missed any recordings?

• Yes at least one missed/deleted/bad recording.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO none at all.

Votes: 60 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Icon
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has your HR20 missed any recordings?

Someone post that if you missed a recording it "could be" a bad box. So I just wanted to post a poll to see how many people did and did not miss a record show.

Has your HR20 missed ANY record shows?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Missed -
Deleted -
Bad -

Three very different things from just "missed"

Even though I trust my system 100% to do what it is supposed to.
I have to vote to the positive on this, as I have had a "Keep or Delete" recording.

I have to to vote the same way if the question was about my DTivos
In the 6 years I have had them, I have missed recordings... for what ever the reason is.

And the "missed" recordings, has nothing to do with it being a "bad box".
It is all software issues at this point, nothing has pointed to hardware issues.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
105 Posts
I had to vote no even though I have missed a couple of recordings with an HR20. The first box I had missed 1 recording that I know of, and possibly 2. But, that box started acting really weird and D* sent me a new box. I have not had any problems at all this this one. I am not sure if it was the problems with the first box that cause the missed recrodings, or the old software version. But this new one had been great.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Missed -
Deleted -
Bad -

Three very different things from just "missed"

Even though I trust my system 100% to do what it is supposed to.
I have to vote to the positive on this, as I have had a "Keep or Delete" recording.

I have to to vote the same way if the question was about my DTivos
In the 6 years I have had them, I have missed recordings... for what ever the reason is.

And the "missed" recordings, has nothing to do with it being a "bad box".
It is all software issues at this point, nothing has pointed to hardware issues.
Earl,

Did you try manual recurring recordings at any point prior to x108?

Regarding the wording "has the DVR ever missed a recording", yeah, I might have to say that my Tivos have missed maybe 1 recording a year. And most times it was not the fault of the Tivo so much as bad guide data, bad snow on the dish, or things outside the control of D* or the Tivo.

But my first HR20 missed more recordings in the first week than I think I've missed in 22 years of VCR/DVR use combined. Now, I admit I'm comparing limes to oranges. (almost said lemons to oranges, but I did not like the implications therein.) :) Now in the world of two tuner DVRs and the joy of delayed watching, I rely on my HR20 and HR10 more than I ever did for my VCRs (tho I did use a lot of tapes in the day!) And I was on vacation for that first week, so after the HR20 locked up on the first day of vacation, I missed a lot more recordings than I could ever have missed in VCR days (8 hour tapes didn't get me very much, did they...)

Ok, so for me the point really is that I've locked up more times in a month than I ever did in 25 years of combined VCR/DVR use. And now that I rely more upon the DVRs, any lockup becomes unacceptable.

Now for some balanced perspective (or the multiple personality point of view :) ) I understand the difficult situation Directv was under. They ran out of HR10s, they had to have an HD DVR for the Christmas of HDTV or they were dead, they weren't ready, etc. I do think the software releases have been getting better. And I see lots of promise in the future of the HR20.

Lastly, I thank Directv for working very hard to fix the problems and letting us help. The windows of release candidate testing are very creative ways to let users knowingly test the releases rather than put the onus a small group of unsuspecting of LA area users. Yeah, I expect a bit more formality of the testing in the future, but I very much appreciate creative approach to getting something out there before the more formalized mechanism can be put into place.

How would I feel if I had paid more or if I did not have my Tivo backups? Or if I had never had a DVR to compare? I'm not sure. Likely both more frustrated and with lower expectations to start with.

Ah well, as Earl said we are where we are. It becomes more important how we go from here to where we want to be.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tibber said:
Earl,

Did you try manual recurring recordings at any point prior to x108?
Yes, I purposely setup some true manual records (channel A from x to z).
And yes, I did see some (not all) of the issues you have had with manual records.

But on the flip side... in 6 years of DVRing, I have only had 1 case, where I NEEDED to use manual records.

That particular feature does not fit, into how we use our DVRs.
Doesn't make it a "functioning" feature, just because I don't use it...

Just adds to the factors of why things may work for one, and not for another.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Now why would you ask a question like this??? :mad: ;)

If I were to answer no, you know that the next two weeks I'll probably miss over half!! :mad: ;)

How dare you try to jinx me with a question like that!! :mad: ;)

Man, it's rough to grow up as a hockey goalie and be so freaking superstitious. :D

Seriously, I'm trying to find a way to replace all of my HR10s because the HR20 has been rock solid for me recording-wise since I got it. I've had lockups in the past but dare I say it again, rock solid since the two OTA codes came down. I can't break this to save my life.

(Side note: As I type this, my HR10 in the living room rebooted itself! Gimme another HR20!!)

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Yes, I purposely setup some true manual records (channel A from x to z).
And yes, I did see some (not all) of the issues you have had with manual records.

But on the flip side... in 6 years of DVRing, I have only had 1 case, where I NEEDED to use manual records.

That particular feature does not fit, into how we use our DVRs.
Doesn't make it a "functioning" feature, just because I don't use it...

Just adds to the factors of why things may work for one, and not for another.
hmm...but did you miss recordings with the manuals? At first I didn't (but the todo list got very, very confused), then I did, now with with 108 I don't. :)

Manuals are not my preferred mode. If the DVRs would soft pad two back to back shows on the same channel and if the cable networks would send unique episode IDs for all shows, I'd probably never have to set manuals. :)

And to be clear (and have a bit of fun), I know that the episode info is not directv's fault, nor the HR20's fault, nor the HR10's fault either. :)

And I see that Directv has been working on the problem and it now seems all better. Woohoo :)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
209 Posts
Had to vote yes, but have only had ONE missed recording in the 3+ months I've had the HR20. No unwatchables. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Unless this is based on one specific firmware version, this info is of little value.

In my case, the number is 0 for any version to date (including 10B).

·
1 Posts
Since September, I've had well over 30 recordings missed. I've resorted to daily reboots to help reliability. Had Tivos since late 1999 and can't think of even one "unexplained" failed recording in those seven years.

Haven't missed any HR20 recordings, though, since I forced the 10B download on Friday. Fingers crossed.

If it wasn't for NFL Sunday Ticket I would've thrown this piece of junk away by now.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
No missed recordings even the one time I got the "keep/delete" message.

After an RBR, everything played that I had not already mistakenly deleted, thinking they were corrupted.

·
Icon
609 Posts
just recordings deleted on there own, took the software upgrade last wednesday night, and friday night, and they both deleted shows on its own that i had set to record

·
Legend
183 Posts
Have 10B. Recorded Walk the Line on HBOH this morning; recorded U2-Italy in HD this morning also. Tonight, after RBR, both are missing and show up as "recorded" in the History. Argh.

·
Mentor
35 Posts
Yes, last night. Checked the "to do" list before we went out for the evening and both the Survivor Finale and Survivor Reunion show were scheduled to record. My wife demanded I check it again. They were both showing "R" in the guide and both were on the to do list. But when we came home, only the Finale had recorded and the Reunion show hadn't, where they announce the winner.

Fortunately, I have an older Tivo in the guest bedroom and it had recorded it. My wife is ready to throw this thing out the window. It did the same thing to an episode of Friday Night Lights last week. Showed on the to do list, but didn't record.

Anybody know a fix for this? Since we travel a lot, it has become completely untrustworthy.

·
Legend
191 Posts
No - hasn't missed a show yet.

I did learn I needed to pad the end of football games as I had one end short of the game end, but from the machine's perspective, it ended recording right on time. So far everything has been playable and deletable as expected.

·
Icon
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it's almost 50/50. If I change over I know I would be on the wrong side of that. I sure hope it gets worked out in the new year!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.