DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgraded from HR22 to HR34 and my Hauppauge HD DVR stopped working (no video or sound). Anyone out there have this combination working? Using component video and a spdif to toslink converter (since the hr22 had optical out and the hr34 is coax).

·
Icon
1,300 Posts
I'll 'assume' you are using the HDMI outputs from the HR34 to your display, have you thought about checking the component outputs (which is what the Hauppague uses) as well?

I've seen lots (okay, more than a half dozen) 'newer' DirecTV dvr's as of late (mostly HR24's) that the component outs don't work; apparently, it isn't in the final (or earlier) checklist in manufacturing 'tests', if any.

Lots of folks never think to 'check' those as they simply plug up the HDMI and go. Big mistake. Same with never checking the SPDIF/optical audio outs.

Do it. I think you'll find that they don't work. Either that or your cables and/or the HD-PVR stopped working for some reason.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello gimp,

I have the Hauppauge HD PVR and I am using it with both the HR34-700 and the HR24-500. Before I had the HR34-700 I used it with an HR22-100. Once I gotten the hardware and software straightened out the Hauppauge HD PVR has worked like a "Swiss watch". :joy:

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
I have that combo working just fine here.

You just have to remember when you go to capture content that was recorded on channels like HBO, Cinemax, etc, that you have to either disconnect your HDMI cable or turn on your tv for HDCP.

·
AllStar
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I discovered that by changing (in TotalMedia Extreme) the audio input to front or rear rca I am able to see a picture but it goes blank as soon as I switch back to S/PDIF. I guess the Monoprice converter is either malfunctioning or incompatible. Very weird that setting affects picture. I wish I could use an application other than the TotalMedia Extreme that came with the Hauppauge (even when things worked it was slow to respond which might be due to me using win7-64 Ultimate). I am suspicious about that app, although everything worked ok before I switched from the HR22 to the HR34. Any freeware replacement recommendations?

·
AllStar
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
caseyf5 said:
Hello gimp,

I have the Hauppauge HD PVR and I am using it with both the HR34-700 and the HR24-500. Before I had the HR34-700 I used it with an HR22-100. Once I gotten the hardware and software straightened out the Hauppauge HD PVR has worked like a "Swiss watch". :joy:
Can you elaborate on how you got it working with the HR34?

·
Registered
273 Posts
gimp said:
Can you elaborate on how you got it working with the HR34?
Hello gimp,

I already had the PVR working with the HR24 DVR and the 6x2 video switcher. I had to add the HR34 cables to the 6x2 switcher. I took the component cables plus the audio cables and fed them to my Impact Acoustic 6x2 component video switcher. This output of the DVR goes to the input of the Hauppauge PVR. I can switch from my HR34 to my HR24 DVR's by pushing a button or using a remote control that came with the unit. If you don't have a switcher you can put the cables into the PVR input side. If you have problems then my suggestion it to contact Hauppauge for assistance. The support from Hauppauge has been outstanding whenever I needed to contact them. :up:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.