DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had DirecTV for the last 12 years. We're used to it and don't really have any issues unless there's some torrential downpour and then that signal corruption only lasts a few minutes anyway. Worst case the LCC can tune in some OTA channels with an antenna in the attic.

Comcast is building into our area and they offer X1 and voice remote. They claim by the end of the fall we will be serviceable. From everything I've seen on line, the X1 system looks great and all, and I really like that voice remote feature, but it sounds like their picture quality is in the dumpster. I've read they downres everything to 720p. I remember when Dish Network did "HD-Lite" 1440p they were made fun of, but oddly Comcast doesn't seem under the same level of fire and scrutiny that Dish was in the mid to early 2000's.

Has anyone here had both X1 from Comcast and DirecTV that can offer comparison? I'm probably not going to switch because Comcast charges a "Local broadcast fee" and DirecTV doesn't.

Again its going to be some time. They are only putting orange conduits and heavy duty P3 875 Coax cable (yes its still coax in a NEW build!). There's no active equipment or fiber optics yet.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Hello,

I've had DirecTV for the last 12 years. We're used to it and don't really have any issues unless there's some torrential downpour and then that signal corruption only lasts a few minutes anyway. Worst case the LCC can tune in some OTA channels with an antenna in the attic.

Comcast is building into our area and they offer X1 and voice remote. They claim by the end of the fall we will be serviceable. From everything I've seen on line, the X1 system looks great and all, and I really like that voice remote feature, but it sounds like their picture quality is in the dumpster. I've read they downres everything to 720p. I remember when Dish Network did "HD-Lite" 1440p they were made fun of, but oddly Comcast doesn't seem under the same level of fire and scrutiny that Dish was in the mid to early 2000's.

Has anyone here had both X1 from Comcast and DirecTV that can offer comparison? I'm probably not going to switch because Comcast charges a "Local broadcast fee" and DirecTV doesn't.

Again its going to be some time. They are only putting orange conduits and heavy duty P3 875 Coax cable (yes its still coax in a NEW build!). There's no active equipment or fiber optics yet.
Keep D*TV And use comcast for internet only ---I've had that setup since 2009 -Comcast tv is Thumb's down

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,

I actually did this a couple years ago myself. Had Directv since 2001 but when Xfinity offered X1 cable plus internet for 2 years price lock for less than what I was paying only for Directv, I gave it a shot. The voice remote was good and the system pretty responsive. The newer set top box from Xfinity simply acts like a modem and its "streaming" their service over coax cable but is not using the old cable box type signals. It was a good setup and worked well but as you mentioned it is only 720p which I am one of those people that can see the different in clarity. I stuck it out for the two years and while they offered another two years, I passed and got a really good deal on internet only for 2 years and signed up for Directv Stream which so far has the best picture quality over satellite as well. That was my experience with Xfinity.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for your candor.

I was thinking of sticking with DirecTV. Were familor with it, we know the quality - its great IMO. I'm surprised theres not a bigger stink online about Comcast's 720p downgrade. When Dish Network did it, a new term was coined... "HD-Lite". Granted that was 15 years ago or so... it was a big deal online.

Its a shame because their X1 seems like a good platform as a frontend for the service.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
I'm surprised theres not a bigger stink online about Comcast's 720p downgrade.
That may not be true across the board.
When Dish Network did it, a new term was coined... "HD-Lite".
As I recall it, HD-Lite was used first by DIRECTV in the early days of HD and it was 1440x1080i (documented by the Dallas Bandwidth Monitor?). DISH also used 1440x1080i but they didn't invent it nor did either company convert 1080i to 720p.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
Ok thanks for your candor.

I was thinking of sticking with DirecTV. Were familor with it, we know the quality - its great IMO. I'm surprised theres not a bigger stink online about Comcast's 720p downgrade. When Dish Network did it, a new term was coined... "HD-Lite". Granted that was 15 years ago or so... it was a big deal online.

Its a shame because their X1 seems like a good platform as a frontend for the service.
I would give it a shot. Comcast doesn’t use 720P in all markets either

·
Administrator
505 Posts
I have comcast but only use it for internet. I also have AT&T fiber available but haven't tried it yet. Still using DTV since the 90's.

Reactions: dstout

·
Super Moderator
53,894 Posts
I would give it a shot. Comcast doesn’t use 720P in all markets either
I would be concerned about the direction they are heading, whether or not my market was currently 720p. I don't know if they are or not ... The last time I looked their services were overpriced. Their $60 plan becomes $90 due to broadcast channel and RSN fees (and one cannot opt out of locals on cable). The $20 plan doubles to $37 due to the broadcast channel fee. Maybe those prices are good ... but it just caught be off guard.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be concerned about the direction they are heading, whether or not my market was currently 720p. I don't know if they are or not ... The last time I looked their services were overpriced. Their $60 plan becomes $90 due to broadcast channel and RSN fees (and one cannot opt out of locals on cable). The $20 plan doubles to $37 due to the broadcast channel fee. Maybe those prices are good ... but it just caught be off guard.
Thats why I never signed up with our current local cable provider (Service Electric Cablevision). The broadcast fees are like $27 a month no matter if you have a traditional coax set top box, their coax based multiroom tivo dvr, or even their ethernet/wifi IP based Tivo Stream with our without cloud dvr.

When you add below the line fees, it comes out to more than what you can get with DirecTV retention. So I'm an Internet and Phone customer only. The only thing that Comcast coming to the neighborhood adds is X1.

·
Legend
260 Posts
Doesn't comcast/xfinity have data caps?

If you are looking to save some money check out DTV stream. No signal loss due to weather unless the power is out and you don't have a UPS. Was a Directv (satellite) since the 90's and switched to Directv Stream almost 2 months ago. My only dislike is that recordings are kept 3 months and self delete. I usually record a full season of something new to see if it gets renewed before I invest the hours to watch the 1st season episodes. Won't work with streaming.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
Doesn't comcast/xfinity have data caps?

If you are looking to save some money check out DTV stream. No signal loss due to weather unless the power is out and you don't have a UPS. Was a Directv (satellite) since the 90's and switched to Directv Stream almost 2 months ago. My only dislike is that recordings are kept 3 months and self delete. I usually record a full season of something new to see if it gets renewed before I invest the hours to watch the 1st season episodes. Won't work with streaming.
Recordings are 9 months

·
Super Moderator
53,894 Posts
So I'm an Internet and Phone customer only. The only thing that Comcast coming to the neighborhood adds is X1.
I was an Internet Only customer until a local fiber company came to my neighborhood and offered me 5x the speed for the same price as Xfinity. For phone service I found an inexpensive VOIP service, kept my former landline number and I pay roughly $8 per month including taxes and fees.

·
Icon
1,514 Posts
Hello,

I'm probably not going to switch because Comcast charges a "Local broadcast fee" and DirecTV doesn't.
Hello, as well, cypherx!

I sent you a PM.

In the meantime: I want to respond, here, to a part of your comment which I have bolded. (I am hoping I do not make a mistake. If I do…someone can correct me.)

The Locals are itemized on the billing from a cable company. The Locals are not itemized on the billing from a satellite company. So, I take it this is because of a particular part of a law.

I would suggest taking the DirecTV billing and rolling in the cost of your area Locals.

So, whatever you pay monthly for DirecTV…subtract what an area cable company charges for your Locals.

I am in the Designated Marketing Area (DMA) of Detroit, Michigan. The Locals, here, are about $15 per month.

—APB101

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,450 Posts
The Locals are not itemized on the billing from a satellite company.
Brand E itemizes their local broadcast channels (and you can opt out if you want). Not breaking out locals is closing in on being a "DIRECTV exclusive" in the conventional MVPD marketplace.

·
Super Moderator
53,894 Posts
DIRECTV includes locals with their packages but there is no additional charge based on the market one is in. See my post above for what Xfinity is doing in my market. Other markets may have a higher or lower fee for locals added to their bills. At least DIRECTV stays with the advertised package price (plus RSN fee for Choice and above). No RSN fee for DIRECTV Stream.

Cable companies MUST include local channels in every package. Satellite companies have the option of allowing customers to opt out of all of their locals. DISH offers the option (saving $12 per month). It appeared that DIRECTV was following suit (several posts about "no locals" packages being introduced in some areas) but it is not a ubiquitous option.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Went to Directv 22 years ago because Comcast was lousy at the time. But, they’re really the only decent game in town for internet here. So, I had Directv with xfinity internet and phone. Recently I switched back to bundle all 3 together. (The package also adds free Netflix.). Xfinity has made significant improvements in their service since I left them (though I’m still adjusting to learning where the channels are in their lineup). Bottom line is my total cost is down $135/month for the next two years (it will be about $85/month after that).

Directv offered me a $100 gift card to change back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts