DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,498 Posts
DIRECTV includes locals with their packages but there is no additional charge based on the market one is in.
It is also notable that if DIRECTV doesn't offer locals (and there are a few markets that they don't serve), there's no credit.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
It is also notable that if DIRECTV doesn't offer locals (and there are a few markets that they don't serve), there's no credit.
Are you sure? The last I saw DIRECTV did offer a small discount in such markets.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,498 Posts
Are you sure? The last I saw DIRECTV did offer a small discount in such markets.
I just ran my vacation home by default (that is, in fact, in the Portland, Oregon market) and you're right! I had an old zip code cookie from a previous site visit so I was surprised to get this notification:
Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Magenta

The discount amounts to $3/month. A decidedly quarter-hearted gesture by any measure but a discount nonetheless.

A subsequent search for RSN availability revealed the the locals are available in 97367 and that ROOT Sports Northwest is the lone RSN.

Side note:

The current DIRECTV new customer promo is and additional $10/month off the new customer price for 12 months. Instead of Ultimate ("All Included" without locals) being $96.99 (+charges & fees) for 12 months, it is $86.99 (+charges & fees) which is $70/month (a little over 44%) off the year two pricing. After 12 months the price soars to $156.99/month (+charges & fees). "Charges" are line items that may be pro-rated and "fees" are those that will not be pro-rated.

·
2 Posts
I have had Comcast for many years. I am stuck with them because my wife is so used to their interface that she will not switch to streaming which is largely what I watch. I have never liked Comcast. I view them as expensive and when ever a promotion ends thay keep increasing their rate. I live in New England and bought a condo in FL for the winter. Comcast was the cable provider in both NH and FL. They offered no options for combining the two accounts. As a matter of fact I could not call in NH to ask a question about my account in FL because they could not access it. Might as well be two different companies. They bundle channels so to get one that you want you get dozens you don't. When the condo in FL switched to another cable provider it was great. Better fiber based internet and TV. Higher performance. Much lower cost.
Jim

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I agree. I have Comcast Internet, it's expensive but is good, however, I actually tried their cable tv and had it removed in two days. Their box is crap, their picture quality poor compared to Directv.
I agree- I did the same when I first signed up for comcast :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ran my vacation home by default (that is, in fact, in the Portland, Oregon market) and you're right! I had an old zip code cookie from a previous site visit so I was surprised to get this notification:
View attachment 32293
The discount amounts to $3/month. A decidedly quarter-hearted gesture by any measure but a discount nonetheless.

A subsequent search for RSN availability revealed the the locals are available in 97367 and that ROOT Sports Northwest is the lone RSN.

Side note:

The current DIRECTV new customer promo is and additional $10/month off the new customer price for 12 months. Instead of Ultimate ("All Included" without locals) being $96.99 (+charges & fees) for 12 months, it is $86.99 (+charges & fees) which is $70/month (a little over 44%) off the year two pricing. After 12 months the price soars to $156.99/month (+charges & fees). "Charges" are line items that may be pro-rated and "fees" are those that will not be pro-rated.
I just call customer support and complain the price is going up, etc. They then connect me to customer retention, and lo and behold, they find some means of extending my current plan for another year.
Been doing this for 8 years now. Works every time. (Works with Verizon too, when they want to raise my cell phone rates. God Bless cell phone competition!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,304 Posts
Get Comcast Internet, then get a streaming service and VOIP phone service. I was an early DirectTV adopter (1994), but with my new home I just got the cablemodem and ignored everything else the cabletv folks offered and cancelled DirecTV. Then added internet YouTubeTV and the almost-free Ooma phone service for 911 purposes. Plus the cell, of course.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,498 Posts
Get Comcast Internet, then get a streaming service and VOIP phone service.
The problem with this recommendation is that not everyone has access to Xfinity broadband. Then again, many have access to better (faster and or cheaper) services.

·
14 Posts
Hello,

I've had DirecTV for the last 12 years. We're used to it and don't really have any issues unless there's some torrential downpour and then that signal corruption only lasts a few minutes anyway. Worst case the LCC can tune in some OTA channels with an antenna in the attic.

Comcast is building into our area and they offer X1 and voice remote. They claim by the end of the fall we will be serviceable. From everything I've seen on line, the X1 system looks great and all, and I really like that voice remote feature, but it sounds like their picture quality is in the dumpster. I've read they downres everything to 720p. I remember when Dish Network did "HD-Lite" 1440p they were made fun of, but oddly Comcast doesn't seem under the same level of fire and scrutiny that Dish was in the mid to early 2000's.

Has anyone here had both X1 from Comcast and DirecTV that can offer comparison? I'm probably not going to switch because Comcast charges a "Local broadcast fee" and DirecTV doesn't.

Again its going to be some time. They are only putting orange conduits and heavy duty P3 875 Coax cable (yes its still coax in a NEW build!). There's no active equipment or fiber optics yet.
We had Dirctv for over 25 years. They kept raising their rates. I would call every year and get a discount. The last time the discount was pretty small and the rate was getting too high. We switched to Dish and couldn't be happier. Their interface is so much better the DTV. Price is much cheaper too for slightly better channel selection. At the end of the 2 year locked in price, I called and got a nice discount so my new rate wasn't that much higher than my old rate. I have gotten mailers from DTV with deals to get me back but I would never go back. Since AT&T took over, their service has gone downhill.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I have ok internet. Our local cable operator offers speeds from 50 meg to 1500 meg. Im on 200/20 meg and that's ok for now. The top speed, 1500/150 meg costs too much and then I'd have to get multi-gig compatible home networking equipment. Im ok with the current ISP. Though Comcast is overbuilding and that gives us another choice to consider.

When I moved here in 2010 I didn't go all in with the local cable company for a few reasons:
Outdated hardware (Guide)
HD Channels are on completely different numbers. Didn't want to fight over putting on the "correct" channel number for HD.

They've since corrected that by offering Tivo - a big name in multiroom DVR. or you can get Cloud DVR with Tivo Stream and the lineup is completely IP. Their newer iGuide software which has a black look and feel does automatically choose HD channels now... not sure if the Tivo does. BUT they have ridiculous broadcast fees. I wouldn't be any better off after paying $30 on top of the advertised price for misc fees.

DirecTV just works. There doesn't seem to be any development going on anymore, but it does work.
I don't like the idea of Comcast doing HD-Lite either. We used to complain on here when Dish Network did that, or AT&T UVerse for that matter.

·
2 Posts
google IPTV ... just need good internet connection. I pay 10.55 a month for 20,000 channels. Includes all sports packages.
Hi I have newly discovered IPTV and don't know much about it. There appear to be many companies offering packages.
Are local channels available live? I tend to use Roku boxes but have one fire stick and several smart TV's. Is there a difference
in user interface based on device being used to access? For example voice input for channel selection? My wife is so used to
the cable remotes that have keyboards to input channel numbers that she can not use my ROKU remote with out numbers.
Any guidance would be nice. Is googleIPTV what you use?
Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I don't think there is a service named Google IPTV. I think the poster was saying to Google the term "IPTV" and when you do you will see services that "seem too good to be true". Probably for good reasons.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,498 Posts
Hi I have newly discovered IPTV and don't know much about it. There appear to be many companies offering packages.
Welcome to 2010! ;)
Are local channels available live?
This depends on the service. Most don't offer a full spread (a major network or most of the minor networks may be missing) and some are delayed by a day.
I tend to use Roku boxes but have one fire stick and several smart TV's. Is there a difference in user interface based on device being used to access
This depends on the service. Some are fairly uniform while others (like YouTubeTV seem to vary quite a bit).
For example voice input for channel selection?
Some services do while others may not. Of course this depends on what the streaming device is capable of.
My wife is so used to the cable remotes that have keyboards to input channel numbers that she can not use my ROKU remote with out numbers.
There is just one service that supports channel numbers: DIRECTV Stream. Otherwise, your wife is going to have to learn a skill that millions have mostly figured out.

Fortunately, almost all services offer a free preview of some sort and they all have Roku apps (assuming your Rokus are newer than about 8 years). Fire TV devices are also widely supported. Smart TVs on the other hand are a mixed bag due to some of them (especially LG and older Samsungs) having relatively limited software updates.

This probably deserves its own thread as it doesn't have much to do with DIRECTV or Comcast.

·
1,359 Posts
Are local channels available live? I tend to use Roku boxes but have one fire stick and several smart TV's. Is there a difference
in user interface based on device being used to access? For example voice input for channel selection? My wife is so used to
the cable remotes that have keyboards to input channel numbers that she can not use my ROKU remote with out numbers.
Any guidance would be nice. Is googleIPTV what you use?
Thanks
Jim
what happens when your internet goes down so does your t.v. since it's a streaming via the interwebs. what happens when people buy movies off sites like vudu and they loose the contract with the content owner. there goes your movie or movies and there goes your money :mad: . alot of times the channel line up's are not there with streaming either.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
what happens when your internet goes down so does your t.v. since it's a streaming via the interwebs. what happens when people buy movies off sites like vudu and they loose the contract with the content owner. there goes your movie or movies and there goes your money :mad: . alot of times the channel line up's are not there with streaming either.
My internet rarely ever goes down and I’d suspect a big name like Comcast should be no different.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts