DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cool Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been with Directv for years. I have had the maintenance plan that covers only the directv equipment for years also. I have only used the maint. plan once for an issue with the dish and the pole it was mounted on. I think I am not getting my moneys worth for this plan for sure. So I thought I might get an upgrade which I understand is part of the plan.

I have now gotten two 4k tv's. My current Directv equipment per their website is one HR44-700 and two HR23-700's. So 3 dvr's total. We no longer max out the tuners on these dvr's since my kids are older. But we used to need that many at some times.

A couple random facts about my house that may or may not matter. My house is wired for network. Two drops at each TV location. Unfortunately I did it years and years ago and I used Cat5. Not cat5e or higher but Cat5. It still gets over 500mbps and everything is attached to a switch and then AT&T Fiber gig internet. Wifi coverage is pretty good except at the furthest reaches.

I do not know what the features of the newest boxes are. So I dont know what I am missing. I have read on here and elsewhere that there is very little 4k content. But I wouldnt mind having something 4k to watch on these newer tv's.

I do not watch a single minute of sports. So the only content I watch are movies and tv series. I have 4k netflix service already.

To be honest, the equipment I have now basically does the job. But I know I am eligible for an upgrade with the maintenance plan so I might as well take advantage of what I am paying for.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
You could upgrade to an HR54 (5 tuners) If you can get one and 2 clients for a total of 3 TV's or an HS17 which is a headless server (doesn't connect to a TV) which has 7 tuners and you would need a client on each TV. To get 4K you would need the wired C61K client for the TV's where you want to watch 4K. You can have 4K available on all TV's but can only watch one 4K show at a time with the HR54 or two at a time with the HS17.

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
I have read on here and elsewhere that there is very little 4k content. But I wouldnt mind having something 4k to watch on these newer tv's.
DIRECTV has five 4K channels. Channel 104 broadcast human interest, concerts and movies in 4K. Channels 105 and 106 broadcast live events in 4K. Channels 107 and 108 broadcast PPVs in 4K.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,049 Posts
The network cabling or your home Wi-fi is used only for an Internet connection. DIRECTV uses MoCA to implement Whole Home and they will install the new equipment with coaxial cable (usually the existing cable).

Feature-wise, not much has changed compared to what you have. The newer equipment may be a bit snappier. Design of new satellite receivers seems to have effectively ended about five years ago around the release of the HS17.

·
1 Posts
You've got Gbit Internet. Drop the satellite boxes and use a Roku, AppleTV, etc. to get programming via Sling, YouTubeTV or one of the umpteen other services that deliver it right over the Internet. Use www.suppose.tv to determine which is best for you.

·
AllStar
224 Posts
You've got Gbit Internet. Drop the satellite boxes and use a Roku, AppleTV, etc. to get programming via Sling, YouTubeTV or one of the umpteen other services that deliver it right over the Internet. Use www.suppose.tv to determine which is best for you.
suppose tv never comes up with a viable alternative as I like a few of the sports channels and alternate regional channels not available elsewhere. I don't think one can get MLB or NFL game time either, but I haven't checked recently. My spouse would get along with just Netflix, so your mileage will vary.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,127 Posts
suppose tv never comes up with a viable alternative as I like a few of the sports channels and alternate regional channels not available elsewhere. I don't think one can get MLB or NFL game time either, but I haven't checked recently. My spouse would get along with just Netflix, so your mileage will vary.
Sat TV is on the way out Better to find options now

·
AllStar
224 Posts
Sat TV is on the way out Better to find options now
I've been hearing this from the uneducated for 10-15 years now. Eventually it may become reality. In the mean time what do you suggest? I don't see another content provider that offers some of the channels I want. PSVue came close but they are now defunct.

For basic cable channels, DTV hasn't made sense for awhile except for those that don't have cable or a viable internet connection or are mobil. What do you suggest for those, just dump them?

Is this one of those city girl things trying to naively apply the same rationale to country girls? When I'm out at the camp with dial up its a completely different situation than home with its high speed fibre and AppleTV that now has several provider apps integrated into a common guide. No DVR, however. But then I don't watch much TV at the camp besides sports.

·
Registered
36,664 Posts
I have been with Directv for years. I have had the maintenance plan that covers only the directv equipment for years also. I have only used the maint. plan once for an issue with the dish and the pole it was mounted on. I think I am not getting my moneys worth for this plan for sure. So I thought I might get an upgrade which I understand is part of the plan.

I have now gotten two 4k tv's. My current Directv equipment per their website is one HR44-700 and two HR23-700's. So 3 dvr's total. We no longer max out the tuners on these dvr's since my kids are older. But we used to need that many at some times.

A couple random facts about my house that may or may not matter. My house is wired for network. Two drops at each TV location. Unfortunately I did it years and years ago and I used Cat5. Not cat5e or higher but Cat5. It still gets over 500mbps and everything is attached to a switch and then AT&T Fiber gig internet. Wifi coverage is pretty good except at the furthest reaches.

I do not know what the features of the newest boxes are. So I dont know what I am missing. I have read on here and elsewhere that there is very little 4k content. But I wouldnt mind having something 4k to watch on these newer tv's.

I do not watch a single minute of sports. So the only content I watch are movies and tv series. I have 4k netflix service already.

To be honest, the equipment I have now basically does the job. But I know I am eligible for an upgrade with the maintenance plan so I might as well take advantage of what I am paying for.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Try the Directv Stream service. It's so much better than the satellite service. All the problems you're having will go away.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,049 Posts
FuboTV covers a lot of ground as does Amazon Prime and Peacock. FuboTV is getting expensive though.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,049 Posts
Lots of ground but how much of that ground is junk channels vs quality programing?
That depends a lot on how tied you are to a particular sport or team. The Summer rerun season is brutal on ESPN. They even rerun the prediction programs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Try the Directv Stream service. It's so much better than the satellite service. All the problems you're having will go away.
I recall you had something like 9 DVRs at one time. Other than rain fade, what problems went away when you switched to DirecTV Stream, and what do you like better about it?

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
I recall you had something like 9 DVRs at one time. Other than rain fade, what problems went away when you switched to DirecTV Stream, and what do you like better about it?
Probably his biggest problem that went away was paying the monthly fees on 9 DVRs :LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts