DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have DirecTV now with 3 DVR's (2 Tivo Units and DTV DVR). All of them are dual tuner. I am having directv turned off and installing Dish (received a $40/mo credit for 1 yr from Embarq) Right now I have the dish setback about 50' from the house, on a pole. I have 3 coax lines underground, and a switch on the side of the house.

My question is, will anymore coax need to be run from the dish to the house, or will 3 be enough? I ordered the TurboHD Gold. Only 2 of my TV's are HD. The third is SD. How will this work? Will I need to order the top 200 as well?

I believe I will be put on the Eastern Arc as I am 45 miles east of Raleigh, NC.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have 4 lines from the dish to the switch, or it wouldn't operate correctly.

With the right Dish equipment, a single coax can feed both tuners on a Dish dual-tuner receiver, and the TV2 output can be back-fed onto that same cable using diplexers. The TV2 output is SD only.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the installer is here now, installing the dish. He forgot one of the recievers, so not sure what he is going to do about that. Hopefully it will be up and running shortly.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the installer is having issues - not sure if he knows what the issues are - having to do with 61.5 being on 3, not 2. I dunno - this is gonna be fun - he says this is his first 1000.4 install.

·
Legend
103 Posts
llenod said:
So the installer is having issues - not sure if he knows what the issues are - having to do with 61.5 being on 3, not 2. I dunno - this is gonna be fun - he says this is his first 1000.4 install.
Oh Joy..... Good luck to you.:rolleyes:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,484 Posts
I'm guessing wildly as I don't know the arrangement of the ports, but I'd guess that 61.5W would be on either 1 or 3, not two.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well they are complete - I am not certain, but I don't think it is quite right. I am going to have to do some testing. I know the signal strength at 55/125 for 61.5 - seems rather low, even though there is overcast.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
No, that's fairly normal signal strength given that Dish modified the software that controls the meters to read about 40 points lower than it used to. Right above the meter's bar, there should be a blinking message that says "Signal Strength Meter Has Been Modified", which means it reads low.

How I hate Dish for doing that; it makes no sense at all.

·
AllStar
66 Posts
llenod said:
So I have DirecTV now with 3 DVR's (2 Tivo Units and DTV DVR). All of them are dual tuner. I am having directv turned off and installing Dish (received a $40/mo credit for 1 yr from Embarq) Right now I have the dish setback about 50' from the house, on a pole. I have 3 coax lines underground, and a switch on the side of the house.

My question is, will anymore coax need to be run from the dish to the house, or will 3 be enough? I ordered the TurboHD Gold. Only 2 of my TV's are HD. The third is SD. How will this work? Will I need to order the top 200 as well?

I believe I will be put on the Eastern Arc as I am 45 miles east of Raleigh, NC.
I switched from DirecTV at the beginning of August and have been pretty happy. I hope you will be as well.

As for your questions.

There are only three SAT locations, so you shouldn't need a fourth coax. However, I don't think you'll need more than two. If it is required, the installer will provide that and the "necessary" switches needed to support the new equipment you receive as a new customer. Note, in my configuration no switches were required. I'd two coax connections running to my media distribution center, so they provided those. However, then only a single cable was required to my ViP 722 receiver with Dish Seperator to connect both tuners.

If you have two HDTV's and on SDTV, you can still subscribe to an "all HD only" package such as the TurboHD. The reason, is the SDTV can be connected as TV2 on the ViP 722 HD DVR. This connection will receive a downconverted 480i signal from the HD channels, very crisp and clear due to the source material. So no AT packages required.

Likely, if you'd like a DVR function for each TV, you'd be served with both a ViP 722 and a ViP 612 (one is designed for two TV's and the second is for a single TV). The ViP 722 can operate in either Single mode (with a easy and fast change from a push button on the front) or Dual mode. Single mode dedicates both HD SAT tunners to a single TV and enables the PIP (picture-in-picture) featuers. In single mode TV2 mirrors everything but downconverted to 480i (SDTV). In Dual Mode, each TV can watch it's own LIVE TV or DVR event, an RF remote for the second TV is provided so depending on the home size no IR repeaters are required. The ViP 612 provides two HD SAT tunners for a single TV but does not provide PIP functionality. Both "currently" also have an OTA (off the air) connection for a third ASTC HDTV tuner. When you subscribe to your locals off the DISH network, you'll also receive the guide for the local OTA if you connect those as well.

I'm too far away to get a workable signal, so I can't effectively take advantage of my OTA connection without a monstrosity of an antenna on my roof. SO the SAT locals keep me happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.