DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The State of Hawaii continues to push for better satellite TV service to the state, recently asking the Federal Communications Commission to help foster small dish competition throughout the island chain and keep pressure on one DBS company in particular.

In comments filed at the Portals on multiplatform competition, state officials complained that DIRECTV isn't making its service readily accessible to Hawaii consumers through big chain stores or independent retailers. Hawaii officials also said the 1.2-meter dish size required for receiving DIRECTV in Hawaii is at times too big for typical consumers in the state, at least half of whom live in multi-family apartments, condos and townhomes.

"Residents in Hawaii will be unable to enjoy true competition in the market for multichannel video programming services until both major DBS licensees in the United States, particularly the largest DBS licensee, makes a concerted effort to provide comparable services to consumers in Hawaii, both in terms of the customer premises equipment used to receive the service and the availability of the service through major retail distribution channels," state officials said in their FCC filing.

DIRECTV did not want to comment on the Hawaii issues. However, in the past, the company told FCC officials it has DBS equipment for sale at big chain stores and among independent retailers in Hawaii. The company also told the agency it regularly promotes programming offerings to state residents.

www.SkyReport.com - used with permission

·
Mentor
30 Posts
I don't know that much about this issue, but isn't it a technical limitation that would only be solved by launching a $5 million satellite for less than 50,000 customers?

The only thing I can think of is DirecTV installing satellite receiving stations on each major Hawaii island and then providing the channels to customers on the island via microwave.

·
6 Posts
This is a problem I was hoping would be addressed with the new sat launches. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable on that stuff can comment...

I really wish we had other options becuase it's almost an inconvenience the have a huge 1.2M dish in your back yard (most lots aren't bigger than a .1 acre) or on your roof (these require like 4" bolts in your roof). If the wind gets stronger the like 25mph it moves the dish alignment enough to where you need to reposition it...and anyone who's lived in Hawaii knows that isn't exactly rare. Plus these things are just ugly! Oh and guess what, if you want HD channels, you need two of these monsters. Does anyone know if there will be a change with this equipment requirement soon or ever for that matter?

·
Icon
795 Posts
feldon30 said:
I don't know that much about this issue, but isn't it a technical limitation that would only be solved by launching a $5 million satellite for less than 50,000 customers?

The only thing I can think of is DirecTV installing satellite receiving stations on each major Hawaii island and then providing the channels to customers on the island via microwave.
I was thinking the same thing. It's prolly not worth all the trouble for DirecTV to really bother with Hawaii. It's just one of the downsides to living in such a beautiful place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.