DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using HBO Max for a month or so and I've had no issues at all. My ATVs work better than they do on Netflix as far as navigation goes. That surprised me. The content on Max is impressive, I've been binging on movies for a few days and I've got a lot more to watch. So far, I think it's a great service.

Rich

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've been using HBO Max for a month or so and I've had no issues at all. My ATVs work better than they do on Netflix as far as navigation goes. That surprised me. The content on Max is impressive, I've been binging on movies for a few days and I've got a lot more to watch. So far, I think it's a great service.

Rich
Yes, it has a lot of content.. I'm looking forward to "Raised by Wolves". Also planning to watch "Doom Patrol". I'm glad it's available on my Samsung TV, since Roku still isn't carrying it.

·
Legend
628 Posts
Yes, it has a lot of content.. I'm looking forward to "Raised by Wolves". Also planning to watch "Doom Patrol". I'm glad it's available on my Samsung TV, since Roku still isn't carrying it.
I wish it was available either LG or Directv DVR application.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
Much of the content is available on demand with an HBO subscription from DirecTV, which allows you to record it as well. With my DirecTV HBO subscription, I have full access to HBO Max from my ATV at no extra cost.

·
Registered
884 Posts
DirecTV is way behind competitors like Comcast, which has made streaming services available directly from their set-top boxes. What is really disappointing is that Roku is playing hardball with new streaming services. There was a time when you could count on Roku to carry just about everything, but not anymore.. I have two Rokus, but I can only access HBO Max through my Samsung TV, which had it as soon as it was available.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Rich
I've been really enjoying HBO Max (more than I thought I would.) I'm actually glad I replaced my 2 Roku Ultras with 2 Apple TV 4Ks now. I'm loving the DC collection and the fact it has Doctor Who.

DirecTV is way behind competitors like Comcast, which has made streaming services available directly from their set-top boxes. What is really disappointing is that Roku is playing hardball with new streaming services. There was a time when you could count on Roku to carry just about everything, but not anymore.. I have two Rokus, but I can only access HBO Max through my Samsung TV, which had it as soon as it was available.
Well unfortunately the AT&T acquisition I fell put the nails in the coffin in terms of hardware development. I feel the Genie 2 was a missed opportunity since it is a headless server. AT&T/DirecTV could have built some next-gen Genie clients that was powerful enough to handle streaming apps to go with it with a voice remote.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been really enjoying HBO Max (more than I thought I would.) I'm actually glad I replaced my 2 Roku Ultras with 2 Apple TV 4Ks now. I'm loving the DC collection and the fact it has Doctor Who.
I'm surprised too. We had HBO Now since it's inception, and all I expected was pretty much the same thing as Now. I did not expect so much content. So many interesting movies. The way the app works with the ATVs is awesome, better than they work with Netflix. Totally unexpected.

Do you see the difference in PQ between the Roku Ultras and the ATVs? I tried the Ultra when it came out and quickly returned it. I'll always go with the device that gives me the better PQ.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
I'm surprised too. We had HBO Now since it's inception, and all I expected was pretty much the same thing as Now. I did not expect so much content. So many interesting movies. The way the app works with the ATVs is awesome, better than they work with Netflix. Totally unexpected.

Do you see the difference in PQ between the Roku Ultras and the ATVs? I tried the Ultra when it came out and quickly returned it. I'll always go with the device that gives me the better PQ.

Rich
AT&T really did hit it out of the park with HBO Max! The app works superbly on virtually everything that it can be loaded on, including the not official sideloading on the FireTV series of streaming boxes. A bit pricey as AT&T tends to be with all their offerings, but well worth it.

The ATV's video is a bit better than all the other boxes I've tried but not enough to counter the crappy remote. As of now the FireTV is a good compromise of excellent PQ/AQ and good remote as well as supporting all the streaming/OTA quite well. The Roku Ultra I have was the best of the bunch for the way it works with the AT&T TV service but the lack of being able to have HBO Max and Peacock makes it a non-starter. Doesn't help that it really doesn't do casting well at all, nor does it support Atmos audio in any meaningful way.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
The way the app works with the ATVs is awesome, better than they work with Netflix. Totally unexpected.
With one notable exception--the Netflix "Skip Intro" feature is sorely missed. Does Netflix have a patent on this feature, because it is missing from HBO Max, Amazon Prime, and CBS All Access?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
With one notable exception--the Netflix "Skip Intro" feature is sorely missed. Does Netflix have a patent on this feature, because it is missing from HBO Max, Amazon Prime, and CBS All Access?
I've seen "Skip Intro" on Apple TV+ (even on my old-school 3rd-generation Apple TV box), and on Amazon Prime when watching on my laptop, so it's not an exclusive Netflix feature.

That said, it seems like almost all the original series I've watched on all of these services in recent months have opening titles that are so short, "Skip Intro" wouldn't have appeared anyway.

·
Legend
1,187 Posts
I've seen "Skip Intro" on Apple TV+ (even on my old-school 3rd-generation Apple TV box), and on Amazon Prime when watching on my laptop, so it's not an exclusive Netflix feature.

That said, it seems like almost all the original series I've watched on all of these services in recent months have opening titles that are so short, "Skip Intro" wouldn't have appeared anyway.
Well, I just finished watching the Good Fight on CBS All Access, and the intro is painfully long, full of loud explosions. And now I am re-watching the Leftovers on HBO Max, and its intro is too long for me.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Rich
When I got my two Apple TV 4K devices from Walmart I left my Roku Ultra hooked up to my main TV. Even though the TV is a 1080p Full HD set I could defiantly notice a difference between ATV 4K and Roku Ultra. I should have paid more attention to my ATV HD (4th Gen) I got curious and for a week hooked the ATV HD up to the main TV with Roku Ultra and still noticed the ATV HD had a better PQ.

Even comparing an HBO program on the basic HBO app on Roku versus the same show on HBO Max with my ATV 4K I noticed the PQ was better on the ATV 4K.

A recent update that started rolling out at the end of August has added a Skip button. On some shows I've watched I've seen it appear and I have been able to skip the promo ad that starts before a show and its intro. I haven't seen the Skip Intro button on any of the Crunchyroll shows yet or on Doctor Who which has a bit before the intro relating to the story.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'd like to see that on every SVOD.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I got my two Apple TV 4K devices from Walmart I left my Roku Ultra hooked up to my main TV. Even though the TV is a 1080p Full HD set I could defiantly notice a difference between ATV 4K and Roku Ultra. I should have paid more attention to my ATV HD (4th Gen) I got curious and for a week hooked the ATV HD up to the main TV with Roku Ultra and still noticed the ATV HD had a better PQ.

Even comparing an HBO program on the basic HBO app on Roku versus the same show on HBO Max with my ATV 4K I noticed the PQ was better on the ATV 4K.
I've done side-by-side comparisons of Rokus and ATVs and both generations of Amazon Cubes and ATVs and the Cubes are a lot closer to the PQ of the ATVs than the Rokus are. Not close enough for me to use my Cubes rather than my ATVs. I've also tried a first-generation Cube against a second-generation Cube and if there's any difference in PQ I couldn't see it. All the reviews and first-time looks I've seen bear that out.

I can't think of a major streaming device that I haven't tried over the last few years and I always go back to the ATVs. Because of the PQ. Apple just does things better.

Rich

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Amazon Prime features skip promo and skip intro option on Roku and Android TV. I think it showed up a few months ago.

Reactions: Rich

·
Registered
884 Posts

Rich
So Apple TV has better picture quality than Roku and also has the newest streaming services like HBO Max and Peacock? If so, are there any other advantages and disadvantages compared to Roku? I'm getting tired of Roku not having some of the new streaming services and I'm considering replacing at least one of my Rokus.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
So Apple TV has better picture quality than Roku and also has the newest streaming services like HBO Max and Peacock? If so, are there any other advantages and disadvantages compared to Roku? I'm getting tired of Roku not having some of the new streaming services and I'm considering replacing at least one of my Rokus.
The TL;DR Yes and Yes. If you like/use Twitch there is an app for that on Apple TV HD/4K. Roku does not have a Twitch app. Also Apple TV 4K supports both Dolby Vision & HDR10 HDR formats. Roku in comparison only supports HDR10 format. So 4K HDR TV set owners will see better quality there with Apple TV 4K.

Also another big feature is Apple TV devices have internal storage. Apple TV 4K comes in 32 GB and 64 GB options. I have almost all TV Everywhere apps that DirecTV supports plus a lot of the SVOD and free streamers and six games and still have memory available on my 32GB models.

With Roku they have very limited memory to store the apps or "channels" so when a channel takes longer to load the Roku is re-downloading that channel and deleting one of the least used channels from the device to make room. Only Roku devices with a microSD card port can get around this (like the Roku Ultra.)

The only disadvantages I could think of is price (#1) and the Siri remote lol.

Anyone who subscribes to standalone WatchTV or has a certain grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Plan (like &More, &More Premium or Unlimited Elite from 11/26/19 - 5/26/20)) can download the AT&T WatchTV app and watch the live channels & on-demand content (and premium channels they subscribe to through Watch TV like HBO) from that app on Apple TV HD and 4K devices. Roku does not support the WatchTV app (and given AT&T discontinued accepting new standalone customers for WatchTV I don't see this changing.)

This is a great feature for those on Unlimited &More Premium or Unlimited Elite from 11/26/19 - 5/26/20) who have the included HBO Max benefit. They can watch the linear HBO channels through WatchTV. [Unlimited Elite customers on/after 5/27/20 no longer get the WatchTV benefit but those who had Elite prior to the change can keep WatchTV as long as they keep Elite and not downgrade to say Unlimited Extra then decide to upgrade back to Unlimited Elite at a later date.]

Personally I feel like there are more advantages to having an Apple TV than a Roku. I get why people gravitate towards Roku over Apple TV but honestly the premium price tag of an Apple TV becomes more justified the longer you use it and the various features.

Some of the pros of Apple TV 4K vs Roku
  • Consistency: If you upgrade from an older Apple TV device to a current Apple TV device you will find consistency with performance in a good way since the Apple TV devices use the same custom Apple silicon found in their iPhones, iPads (and soon to be Mac computers.)
    • My Apple TV HD I got in early 2017 has always been quick and responsive since I got it. In comparison to the 2 Apple TV 4K devices I got to replace my Roku Ultra devices performance between the two are quick, responsive and snappy. The Apple TV 4K device is actually quicker than any Roku devices I have owned.
    • This is in contrast to how some Android TV devices, Fire TV and Roku devices behave when upgrading from one model to another because of all the various tech specs involved. Most of the time (especially with the lower end devices) performance degrades over time becoming slower.
      • My Roku Streaming Stick from 2016 is extremely slow now even if I do a factory reset and download only a few apps it moves at a snails pace. However the 2 Roku Ultra devices I used to use were extremely fast.
      • The Fire TV Stick (2nd generation) I bought in 2016 when it was first released was dreadfully slow out of the box and still is no matter what I do. From what I've heard the Fire TV Stick 4K and Fire TV Cube (2nd generation) that are available now perform way better and are quick and responsive.
  • Home Screen Sharing: (My favorite feature) If you like for your streaming devices to have the same home screen setup (i.e. apps are in the same place on both) you can do that with the Apple TV HD & Apple TV 4K. If you add & delete apps on 1 Apple TV the change will happen on the other Apple TVs. On Roku devices you have to customize each device separately.
  • Customization: You can put similar apps into a folder (like Games, Weather, Music, TV Everywhere, etc.) to clean up the home screen.
  • Profiles: Each member of your family can have their own profile on Apple TV with their own home screen.
  • Games: You can purchase digital games meant for Apple TV. It actually has some popular titles like Grand Theft Auto: San Andres, Sonic the Hedgehog (1, 2 & CD). If you have an iPhone and/or iPad you can play those games on those devices if the game supports them and vice versa. The Apple TV HD & 4K can use popular controllers like DualShock 4 (PS4) the Xbox One Wireless Controller.
  • TV Everywhere Single Sign-On: If you have a traditional provider like DirecTV, Dish, cable or a virtual provider like AT&T TV Now/AT&T TV, Hulu + Live TV, fuboTV, Philo, Sling TV or YouTube TV you can enter your login information then each TV Everywhere app that supports this feature and your provider will automatically login for you. (IIRC only the Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, Sundance TV and Vice TV apps require you to authenticate via their own method.)
Another plus Apple TV (HD & 4K models) have that I like is there is no ad panel on the right side. You can use the whole screen for your apps. You can also group similar apps together in a folder.

Even though Roku has an Apple TV app it is limited versus the fully featured app on Apple TV devices.
  • Apple TV+: Available on Roku, Amazon Fire TV & Samsung TVs. (To watch Apple TV+ content in 4K HDR you need an Apple TV 4K.)
  • Apple TV Channels: Roku & Samsung smart TVs can subscribe and view Apple TV Channels. Fire TV devices can view Apple TV Channels but you can't subscribe to them through a Fire TV device.
    • [The reverse is true for Prime Video Channels on Apple TV devices. To subscribe to an Prime Video Channel you need to do it from Amazon's website then it is viewable on an Apple TV device through the Prime Video app.]
  • Rent/Buy TV shows & Movies: Yes on Roku & Samsung Smart TVs; No on Fire TV devices.
  • iTunes Extra: (My other favorite feature) Only Apple TV HD & 4K devices can access iTunes Extra on movies you purchased, redeemed with a digital copy code or have in your collection via Movies Anywhere. iTunes Extra puts the movie and all special features in one place replicating a DVD/Blu-Ray like experience.
    • With some films, if they have an alternate version (like Extended Cut, Director's Cut, etc.) you can also access that version at no extra charge via iTunes Extra. With other digital movie retailers (like Vudu) you may have to purchase both versions if you want both editions of a film. This spreadsheet from 4K Charts gives you a list of all the movies on Apple TV/iTunes that come with an alternate version via iTunes Extra.
    • If you are a Harry Potter fan after you purchase the first two films you can watch their extended editions via iTunes Extra. This is the only place I have seen the extended versions available. Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition will let you watch the theatrical version via iTunes Extra instead of having to purchase both the theatrical & Ultimate editions (like on other digital retailers.)
  • AirPlay: Roku & Fire TV devices do not support this feature. Samsung Smart TVs do support AirPlay.
  • Dolby Vision HDR: Exclusive to Apple TV 4K.
  • Dolby Atmos: Apple TV HD & Apple TV 4K.
  • Integrate non-Apple TV Channels content with the Apple TV app: Apple TV HD / 4K devices only.
    • The Apple TV app on Apple TV HD and 4K devices essentially acts as an aggregator for most streaming apps (like Disney+ and HBO Max.) Over time it will provide you with personal recommendations based on what you have viewed from all supported apps and any Apple TV Channels you subscribe to. This is shared between all the Apple TV devices you are signed into. (For Peacock this is a lifesaver since their own "Continue Watching" section will sometimes drop shows & movies in progress.)
      • For a list of supported apps see here. Support is not required so Netflix opts out of it. HBO GO & HBO Now were replaced by HBO Max but the help article has not been updated to reflect this.
      • For example if you want to binge the TBS original series Miracle Workers the Apple TV app will tell you that Season 1 is available from HBO Max and Season 2 is available from the TBS TV Everywhere app. It will also give you the option to purchase the show from iTunes.
      • Supports live sports (more details here.)
      • Kids have a dedicated section so they can see all of the kids shows & movies in one place as well.
  • Integrate vMVPDs content with the Apple TV app: This feature works similar to the one above but will show you results for the On-Demand programs from AT&T TV, AT&T TV Now and Spectrum TV. When you select news or live sports and your TV provider has the channel (like AT&T TV) it will boot you to their app. If you have both the TV provider and the TV Everywhere app on your device it will ask you which app you want to view your live news or sport in.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Here is a comparison chart I made for a friend about Apple TV vs Roku

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Line Parallel

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, it has everything you asked about. I have tried the more expensive Rokus and compared them to my ATVs and I returned every Roku immediately. The PQ was the main reason. Prior to the 4K sets coming out, I had Rokus and had no complaints. I see no disadvantages to swapping Rokus for ATVs, nothing to lose at all.

Rich

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks to techguy88 and Rich for the detailed replies. PQ and availability of major streaming services are what I care about. There was a time when Roku could be counted on to carry new streaming services as soon as they became available, but that is no longer the case. Now they play hardball and new services like HBO Max and Peacock remain unavailable for months after they are launched.

Does the Netflix app on ATV shrink the credits to a tiny window like my Roku 3, or does it give you a small overlay in the corner of the screen like my Samsung TV?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts