DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks to techguy88 and Rich for the detailed replies. PQ and availability of major streaming services are what I care about. There was a time when Roku could be counted on to carry new streaming services as soon as they became available, but that is no longer the case. Now they play hardball and new services like HBO Max and Peacock remain unavailable for months after they are launched.

Does the Netflix app on ATV shrink the credits to a tiny window like my Roku 3, or does it give you a small overlay in the corner of the screen like my Samsung TV?
You get the small screen but I think you can select that screen to see all the credits. Never had a reason to use it, I use IMBD for that kinda stuff, faster.

Rich

·
Registered
884 Posts
You get the small screen but I think you can select that screen to see all the credits. Never had a reason to use it, I use IMBD for that kinda stuff, faster.

Rich
I was afraid you were going to say that. Yes, you can arrow over and return to full screen, but if you rewind it shrinks again. I think newer versions of the app, like the one that runs on my Samsung NU8000, have a less intrusive version of that feature. A small graphic in the lower corner of the screen lets you choose between "Watch Credits" and "Next Episode".

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was afraid you were going to say that. Yes, you can arrow over and return to full screen, but if you rewind it shrinks again. I think newer versions of the app, like the one that runs on my Samsung NU8000, have a less intrusive version of that feature. A small graphic in the lower corner of the screen lets you choose between "Watch Credits" and "Next Episode".
All the TVs I have are Samsungs and I never use their apps. I have an NU8000, I'll take a look at the app next time I fire it up. I'd still rather use IMBD for info on content. Just me, just an opinion.

Rich

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
The only disadvantages I could think of is price (#1) and the Siri remote lol.
Just as there is some content that isn't available on Roku that is available through Apple, there's hundreds of Roku channels that aren't available through other services that offer considerable entertainment and educational value.

I reason that they can't turn a blind eye forever to such a large market of devices.

·
Registered
884 Posts
All the TVs I have are Samsungs and I never use their apps. I have an NU8000, I'll take a look at the app next time I fire it up. I'd still rather use IMBD for info on content. Just me, just an opinion.

Rich
I sometimes check IMDB for information during a show or movie, but not as a substitute for seeing the credits at the end. I mostly use the apps on my Samsung NU8000 for streaming instead of going to the Roku. Aside from the issue with the screen shrinking during the credits on the Roku's Netflix app, I find it easier to navigate because I don't have to use a third remote. To use the apps on the TV, all I have to do is press the home button on the TV and navigate to one of the apps. To use the apps on the Roku, I have to use the TV remote to get to the Roku and then switch to the Roku remote.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I sometimes check IMDB for information during a show or movie, but not as a substitute for seeing the credits at the end. I mostly use the apps on my Samsung NU8000 for streaming instead of going to the Roku. Aside from the issue with the screen shrinking during the credits on the Roku's Netflix app, I find it easier to navigate because I don't have to use a third remote. To use the apps on the TV, all I have to do is press the home button on the TV and navigate to one of the apps. To use the apps on the Roku, I have to use the TV remote to get to the Roku and then switch to the Roku remote.
You are not gonna see many updates on those built-in apps. I don't see many updates on any of my Sammys.

Rich

·
Registered
884 Posts
You are not gonna see many updates on those built-in apps. I don't see many updates on any of my Sammys.

Rich
I think it's a mixed bag whether you use the built-in apps or a standalone device. HBO Max and AppleTV+ both showed up on my Samsung NU8000 almost immediately after they became available, while Peacock is still unavailable.

ATV and other devices get updated, but they don't seem to get newer versions existing apps, which is why that 2017 ATV model still has the shrinking credits on the Netflix app. They got a ton of complaints about that feature and modified it for the app that runs on newer devices, but existing devices are stuck with it. I'm stuck with the shrinking credits on my Roku 3, while an older Roku 2 model I use on occasion lets the credits run unimpeded. My newer Android devices and my Samsung TV display a graphic in the corner of the screen, where you can choose to watch the credits or play the next episode (the credits will run full-screen with the graphic in the corner if you don't make a choice). Whenever Apple comes out with a newer model, it is likely you will no longer see the shrinking credits. I realize it's not a big deal to some people, but there are lots of people who don't like it and it's a dealbreaker for me.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
I have the Sony XBR-75X900E (2017 model) and while it gets update I guess I don't think it is weekly though.
Using your Sony remote bring up the App menu. Select Google Play Store and open. When page loads scroll to my apps and select. This will bring up "On this device" (apps you are currently using) and "Not on this device" (apps you are not using that are available). If any of the apps you are using have updates available you will see "Updates Available". You can do this daily or weekly to check for apps that have updates available. Since Monday I have had updates for five apps that I'm using on my TV.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
AT&T really did hit it out of the park with HBO Max! The app works superbly on virtually everything that it can be loaded on, including the not official sideloading on the FireTV series of streaming boxes. A bit pricey as AT&T tends to be with all their offerings, but well worth it.
HBO MAX came with my internet sub. How do you "side load" it on a FireTv? That is what I use since its the only one that seems to work with dolby digital on my amp.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've been using HBO Max for a month or so and I've had no issues at all. My ATVs work better than they do on Netflix as far as navigation goes. That surprised me. The content on Max is impressive, I've been binging on movies for a few days and I've got a lot more to watch. So far, I think it's a great service.

Rich
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but with the news today that Warner Brothers will be releasing their 2021 movies in theatres and on HBO Max on the same dates, my interest in HBO Max has been piqued, I've tried to find this answer but you find mixed results on Google, is HBO Max included if you have Directv Premiere or if you have a cheaper Directv package but you pay for HBO on Directv?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but with the news today that Warner Brothers will be releasing their 2021 movies in theatres and on HBO Max on the same dates, my interest in HBO Max has been piqued, I've tried to find this answer but you find mixed results on Google, is HBO Max included if you have Directv Premiere or if you have a cheaper Directv package but you pay for HBO on Directv?

Thanks.
I subscribe to Premier and HBO Max is included.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,429 Posts
I just jumped aboard the HBO Max bandwagon, at least for the next 6 mos. Took advantage of their $69.99 for 6 mos deal. We had HBO for many years but when they had their dispute with Dish I discovered I didn't really care that much until the final season of GoT. Then I tried streaming them to watch that final season and it wasn't a very good experience so once I was done with that I let them go again. Considered trying the HBO Max when it first came out but at that time they wouldn't let you subscribe via Firestick and once again I just said, oh well, let me know when you're going to make it easy for me to subscribe without jumping through hoops and I'll consider it. Amazon had been letting me know for a while now that you could subscribe via their platform and then I saw the ad for the 6 mos deal, so I figured it was time to give them a try again. I haven't watched much yet (just got it yesterday) but I am impressed with all the available content.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
If you subscribe to HBO through Amazon Appstore, Apple, Google Play, Roku Channel Store, Samsung TV, WarnerMedia, Consolidated Communications, Liberty, North State, Optimum, Service Electric Cablevision, Verizon Fios, or Ziply Fiber, then you have access to HBO Max Ad-Free right now, at no extra cost!
You seem to be confusing subscriptions to HBO Max with the availability of HBO Max apps for streaming devices. These are not the same thing.

Having access to HBO Max on a Fire device is not the same thing as being able to subscribe to HBO Max through Amazon Prime (you cannot). Oddly, you can subscribe to Cinemax.

While there is a Roku app for HBO Max, you can't subscribe to HBO Max there either (but you can subscribe to Cinemax here too). The same goes for Samsung TV apps.

Freeviews happen but they go away as quickly as they appear. It is a major misrepresentation to say that all of these services are offering HBO Max for free. It appears that HBO Max is working with partners to temporarily provide selected HBO and Cinemax content/channels.

I just tried authenticating using my TV provider and I was denied access to HBO Max (even though they're currently having a freeview) so this further calls your claims into question.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts