DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still Waiting................11/5/08


and still Waiting.......................05/18/2009 Please, DTV i would like ALL my HBO channels in HD soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know this question gets repetative, but when? the new season of shows are to begin, and i would like to have my HBO's in HD. why is this on the back burner for DTV?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
144 Posts
krock918316 said:
HBO's are in HD.

HBOHD (501)
HBOWHD (504)
I think he meant other than the main HBO E and W :lol:

There was an interview with Bob Ziiter of HBO on Multichannel News on 06/23/08 which states that HBO announced aggressive plans last summer to offer all its 26 multiplexed premium networks in high definition. The interview also states the channels are in MPEG-4 (which is not a problem for DirecTV, obviously).

MCN: Can you update us on how HBO's high-def offerings have developed.

BOB ZITTER: ... The last piece is that we began in 2007 to take all of our multiplex feeds of HBO and Cinemax and make them available in high-def. We are finishing that up now and by the end of this month we will have 26 HD networks, which is all we offer.


And of course, there is the DirecTV press release from June 2007:

DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD
HBO, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Latino and Cinemax Channels Among HD feeds to Launch Beginning in September of this Year

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--June 13, 2007--Continuing to pack its lineup with premium-quality HD channels for launch this fall, DIRECTV will begin to roll out the HD feeds of 11 HBO and Cinemax channels nationally in September.

In addition to the HBO (East) HD channel it currently offers, DIRECTV will launch the following HBO/Cinemax channels in full-time HD: HBO West, HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, Cinemax East, Cinemax West and MoreMax. The channels will begin rolling out in September and continue to launch through the rest of the year. DIRECTV currently carries each of these channels in standard-definition.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
144 Posts
dduitsman said:
I think the OP was referring to this announcement, made 15 months ago, where D* promised carriage of lots more HBO feeds in HD.

Good question - I too grow impatient with D*.

dd
See my previous post. It's evidently HBO that has been a lot of the delay. They were supposed to be HD quite a while ago and may have gone HD the end of June (if they actually did).
 

· Legend
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
krock918316 said:
HBO's are in HD.

HBOHD (501)
HBOWHD (504)
yes, i understand. but i was talking about all the HBO's.IE, HBO2, HBO family, and maybe a new addition like HBO comedy
 

· Legend
Joined
·
188 Posts
davidjplatt said:
See my previous post. It's evidently HBO that has been a lot of the delay. They were supposed to be HD quite a while ago and may have gone HD the end of June (if they actually did).
We posted at the same time - you type faster.:)

dd
 

· Legend
Joined
·
188 Posts
davidjplatt said:
There was an interview with Bob Ziiter of HBO on Multichannel News on 06/23/08 which states that HBO announced aggressive plans last summer to offer all its 26 multiplexed premium networks in high definition. The interview also states the channels are in MPEG-4 (which is not a problem for DirecTV, obviously).

MCN: Can you update us on how HBO's high-def offerings have developed.

BOB ZITTER: ... The last piece is that we began in 2007 to take all of our multiplex feeds of HBO and Cinemax and make them available in high-def. We are finishing that up now and by the end of this month we will have 26 HD networks, which is all we offer.
...
davidjplatt,

I hadn't seen that interview - thanks for the info.

I'm not sure how to parse Bob Zitter's comments. Do you think D* is backing off of the channels listed in the June 13, 2007 announcement?

dd
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,579 Posts
At this point in time, if you want more HBO and/or Cinemax, you're going to have to look somewhere (almost anywhere) other than DIRECTV. Several CATV providers also offer some of the content on demand.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
596 Posts
DirecTV is too busy catering to anything and everything sports related. They gave up on balance between sports fans and movie fans a long time ago. Probably because sports fans buy all those season package things, and if they get more sports fans on their system to watch RSNs and obscure sports channels, they are more likely to buy those season ticket things. Movie viewers on the other hand, will just watch the stuff in their package.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
806 Posts
Juppers said:
DirecTV is too busy catering to anything and everything sports related. They gave up on balance between sports fans and movie fans a long time ago. Probably because sports fans buy all those season package things, and if they get more sports fans on their system to watch RSNs and obscure sports channels, they are more likely to buy those season ticket things. Movie viewers on the other hand, will just watch the stuff in their package.
Still waiting for them to pick up that obscure sports channel WGN in HD.....
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,579 Posts
txtommy said:
Still waiting for them to pick up that obscure sports channel WGN in HD.....
WGN is a general purpose superstation. They just happen to carry the games of obscure athletic teams.

Much of their content isn't in HD anyway if it makes you feel any better.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
806 Posts
harsh said:
WGN is a general purpose superstation. They just happen to carry the games of obscure athletic teams.

Much of their content isn't in HD anyway if it makes you feel any better.
Why would that make me feel any better? All I want is to be able to watch Cubs games in HD rather than the poor picture they have in SD. I couldn't care less about their other content.
 

· DINFOS Trained Killer
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
davidjplatt said:
I think he meant other than the main HBO E and W :lol:

There was an interview with Bob Ziiter of HBO on Multichannel News on 06/23/08 which states that HBO announced aggressive plans last summer to offer all its 26 multiplexed premium networks in high definition. The interview also states the channels are in MPEG-4 (which is not a problem for DirecTV, obviously).

MCN: Can you update us on how HBO's high-def offerings have developed.

BOB ZITTER: ... The last piece is that we began in 2007 to take all of our multiplex feeds of HBO and Cinemax and make them available in high-def. We are finishing that up now and by the end of this month we will have 26 HD networks, which is all we offer.


And of course, there is the DirecTV press release from June 2007:

DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD
HBO, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Latino and Cinemax Channels Among HD feeds to Launch Beginning in September of this Year

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--June 13, 2007--Continuing to pack its lineup with premium-quality HD channels for launch this fall, DIRECTV will begin to roll out the HD feeds of 11 HBO and Cinemax channels nationally in September.

In addition to the HBO (East) HD channel it currently offers, DIRECTV will launch the following HBO/Cinemax channels in full-time HD: HBO West, HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, Cinemax East, Cinemax West and MoreMax. The channels will begin rolling out in September and continue to launch through the rest of the year. DIRECTV currently carries each of these channels in standard-definition.
hmm, it isn't september yet, is it?
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,579 Posts
iceturkee said:
hmm, it isn't september yet, is it?
If you read closely, the announcement was for September 2007, so yes, it is September almost a year later.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
188 Posts
Juppers said:
DirecTV is too busy catering to anything and everything sports related. They gave up on balance between sports fans and movie fans a long time ago. Probably because sports fans buy all those season package things, and if they get more sports fans on their system to watch RSNs and obscure sports channels, they are more likely to buy those season ticket things. Movie viewers on the other hand, will just watch the stuff in their package.
Juppers,

Your assessment about D*'s attitude rings true. With an HBO subscription being a $168/yr investment, though, one would think there would be an incentive for D* to offer the full package. Perhaps more of us need to send a message by cancelling.

I am embarassed to admit that I have continued my HBO subscription - even though I realized a few month's back that it is a poor value (based on it's programming, price, and lack of HD). I kept waiting for D* to deliver on it's 15 month old promise. I have resolved that if this continues after the "Big Rollout" in September - I'm dropping my sub.

Perhaps my not dropping my subscription sooner proves your point - sports fans have to decide to renew. Premium channel subscriptions OTOH continue - and not enough of us cancel when it no longer gives an adequate "Bang for the Buck".

I surely hope that us movie fans don't have to wait for next year's D12 lanuch.

dd
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
160 Posts
I am stuck for a few more months but when my commitment runs out, I will have to seriously reconsider my selection of DirecTV. I have had nothing but great service and the quality is great but there are just too many HD channels left sitting on the table that DirecTV should have added before some of the stuff they did. The premium we pay for HBO and the other movie channels should make them the top priority after the major national networks. While the fishing channel may appeal to lots of people, I can't imagine it has more interest than the full slate of premium movie channels.

Running PPV on the bandwidth instead of adding the already available channels is just wrong.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
dduitsman said:
I think the OP was referring to this announcement, made 15 months ago, where D* promised carriage of lots more HBO feeds in HD.

Good question - I too grow impatient with D*.

dd
It takes two sides to get a deal done. That's all I can say, but both sides are still trying to do just that.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
txtommy said:
Still waiting for them to pick up that obscure sports channel WGN in HD.....
Same as before, takes both parties to make a deal get done, not one.

Folks often ask me why their bill goes up most years and many of the same folks ask "why can't you add X, Y, Z and also 1, 2 and 3 and while you're at it please make N, O and F in HD". :D

#1, It takes two parties (or more) to get a deal done
#2, Sometimes one of those parties demands additional channels be carried that the distributor doesn't have the capacity to carry (i.e. the network knows D* wants channel A but in order to put Channel A on the satellite the network demands D* carries channels m,n,o which have no value)
#3, When deals are done there is a cause and effect. More channels, including HD, means higher costs which are then passed down to consumers.
 
1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top