DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I saw the primier of "The Wire" on HBO. It got some good reviews so I thought I'd give it a chance.

Okay so it's a gritty cop show a la "Crime Story" on NBC from the 80's. But Jeez-Louise! HBO...I already know you are allowed to use the F word. I'm no prude and have no problem with "real speak". But the number of times that word was used in it's many forms and gestures in an hour was stupefying! After a little while it just became funny. About 30 minutes into the show, it had been used so often that I decided to count how many more times it was used. I lost count at 45 with more than 10 minutes to go.

So what did I think of the show itself...It's a gritty cop show a la Crime Story. It's a crime soap opera complete with a lesbian cop, a hated wistle-blower cop, a bastard captain, and all the regular cliches. The whole story revolves around an "untouchable" drug king-pin and his organization in the Baltimore Projects. All very predictable so far.

I'll give the show another few episodes or 100 F*s whichever comes first to see if it pans out.

See ya
Tony

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
y'know, operating in the "real" world and such, i just don't know that many people whose primary vocabulary consist of multiple multiple uses of the "f" word and the one fellow i do know who uses it every other word, it's impossible to carry on an intellegent conversation with him at all!!!

I watch the films and shows pre sixties when they had to rely on a real and honest writing ability to make 120 minutes of film time work just because they couldn't fall back on profanity and free expression of sex to do the job...it's become a lazy world...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.