DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the $10 HD access fee that was waived for 2 years started yet? Is there any way to get out of paying it? I will have to downgrade my service to make up for this if it starts again. Is the $54.99 entertainment package available?

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
Asking blanket questions probably won't help you get the answers you need.

There are some promotions out there for HD Access however most of them revolve around new customer offers now.

You would have to get SD equipment to replace your HD equipment. This will probably be more expensive then keeping HD service for the term of your agreement.

Entertainment has been available since February.

With all of that said it doesn't mean that any of these are an option to you depending on your account. Unless you might be willing to forgo discounts or promotions you might currently have.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
Richierich said:
Why ask us when you could call Directv and get an answer from them??? :)
And possibly receive more discounts. I called the other day to downgrade packages due to financial reasons and received $50 off for 6 months.

· AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will switch to comcast or dish because they don't rip you off for this fee to pad your bill..Even directv does not charge new customers for life for this..It is a way of ripping off their most loyal and long time customers.

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
jason williams said:
Has the $10 HD access fee that was waived for 2 years started yet? Is there any way to get out of paying it? I will have to downgrade my service to make up for this if it starts again. Is the $54.99 entertainment package available?
It depends on when you started. Mine will run out soon. I have seen reports of some being able to renew it.

The entertainment package has been available for a few months now (I have it).

To be fair, many companies charge extra for HD. DirecTV always has. They only waived it to compete with Dish's HD Free For Life a few years ago. My cable company (Charter) also charges for HD.

If it makes you feel any better, you can get the HD Extra pack for free in perpetuity if you add and drop it every 3 months.

If you keep DirecTV, please let us know if you are successful in getting the HD fee waived again.

Good luck

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
"jason williams" said:
I think I will switch to comcast or dish because they don't rip you off for this fee to pad your bill..Even directv does not charge new customers for life for this..It is a way of ripping off their most loyal and long time customers.
At one point there was an HD Technology fee. I saw references to this in 2011.You might not actually see it on the bill, but unless something changed, they charge $17 per HD DVR.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
jason williams said:
You may not see it as a separate line item on a comcast or dish bill, but you're still paying it.....

· Banned
5,343 Posts
I pay a $20 fee I think that covers HD, DVR service and Whole Home Dvr service but I get a $10 AUTOPAY credit, so I think everyone can get the autopay credit.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
jimbop99 said:
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to let everyone know that I just received an email automaticly renewing my 2 years of free HD. Wow!
Me too. It looks like those who got it when it was first offered (2 years ago), as long as they maintain the same conditions, should receive an email confirmation soon with a 2 year "renewal" of the hd access fee being free.

Nice to see!

We got our email this morning at 9:16 a.m.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Scott Kocourek said:
Ditto, that was a pleasant surprise.
I just got that too, but not sure it is a renewal of the free HD. I believe a few months ago, someone else posted about this and received word that it was just a marketing e-mail stating that we have the 2 year free HD promo. It turned out that the marketing department was a little behind the times in getting the e-mails out.

- Merg

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,502 Posts
CCarncross said:
You may not see it as a separate line item on a comcast or dish bill, but you're still paying it.....
With respect to DISH, you pay the same monthly fees whether you have HD or SD.

· Registered
16,423 Posts
harsh said:
With respect to DISH, you pay the same monthly fees whether you have HD or SD.
That's because the "HD Fee" is spread out so that all DISH customers pay for it with higher monthly prices, higher DVR/Receiver fees, etc. It's in there, you just don't see it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.