DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Thursday morning at approximately 6:00am EST there will be some changes in HD in format they are delivered.

The following channels will go from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4.

206 ESPN HD
209 ESPN2 HD
245 TNT HD
281 HD Theatre
501 HBO HD
537 Showtime HD
259 Universal HD

Some folks believe these channel locations were already broadcast in MPEG4, but they were not. They required the MPEG4 receiver but were still broadcast in the MPEG2 codec. (I'm not an engineer so forgive me if I'm stating that incorrectly).

This should not effect any customer that is already seeing the above channels in those channel ranges as they already have a KaKu dish and MPEG4 equipment. The only difference is that those channels will be in MPEG4 now instead of MPEG2.

Customers that do not have the correct equipment will still be able to see those channels in MPEG2 in the 70-99 range for the time being.

In addition, the following channels will get their MPEG 4 channel location on July 31st. These will be in Ka (again, need the KaKu dish)

306 HDNet
552 HD Net Movies
390 NY CBS
392 NY NBC
396 NY ABC
398 NY FOX

Call it a mini-Festivus :icon_band

· Registered
2,158 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
This Thursday morning at approximately 6:00am EST there will be some changes in HD in format they are delivered.

206 ESPN HD
209 ESPN2 HD
245 TNT HD
281 HD Theatre
501 HBO HD
543 Showtime HD
259 Universal HD

Some folks believe these channel locations were already broadcast in MPEG4, but they were not. They required the MPEG4 receiver but were still broadcast in the MPEG2 codec. (I'm not an engineer so forgive me if I'm stating that incorrectly).

This should not effect any customer that is already seeing the above channels in those channel ranges as they already have a KaKu dish and MPEG4 equipment. The only difference is that those channels will be in MPEG4 now instead of MPEG2.

Customers that do not have the correct equipment will still be able to see those channels in MPEG2 in the 70-99 range for the time being.

In addition, the following channels will get their MPEG 4 channel location on July 31st. These will be in Ka (again, need the KaKu dish)

306 HDNet
552 HD Net Movies
390 NY CBS
392 NY NBC
396 NY ABC
398 NY FOX

Call it a mini-Festivus :icon_band
I like mini and maxi Festivus!........:dance07:

· Chancellor
8,483 Posts
Satelliteracer said:

259 Universal HD
306 HDNet
552 HD Net Movies
390 NY CBS
396 NY ABC

206 ESPN HD
209 ESPN2 HD
245 TNT HD
281 HD Theatre
The top 5 are enough of a mini-Festivus for me (still ticked I don't get to see "The Middleman" in HD next Monday, but I'll live). The other four are decent as well! :)

However, why does HDNet Movies get moved to channel #552 when MGM-HD gets channel #255 and they're both in the same package? Is DirecTV still ticked at Cuban (I'm joking, I don't really expect you to answer this one!)?

~Alan

· Registered
2,158 Posts
mauijiminar said:
I should know this but I do not. Will the picture be better?"
In theory, yes; however probably not many naked eyes will see a difference.

If I'm not mistaken; MPEG4 does take up less recording space than MPEG2.

· Icon
657 Posts
Does that mean the HDNet channels and NY DNS are still not MPEG 4 just moving to where the MPEG 4 will eventually be?

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Satelliteracer.. In case we don't say it often enough or loud enough...

Thanks!!:)

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.