Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • A&E HD
  • Food Network HD
  • The History Channel HD (launching early 2007)
  • HGTV HD
  • INHD
  • INHD2
  • MHD
  • National Geographic Channel HD
  • Outdoor Channel 2 HD
  • Comcast SportsNet HD
  • FSN HD
  • MSG Network in HDTV
  • NESN HD
  • YES-HD

What did I miss? What did I get wrong?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
YES-HD is available part time
So is NESN-HD, I think 24-7 too

The FSN-HD is that national version? If not a lot of markets have the "Games" available in HD

CSN-HD is available in some markets (Chicago is one that it is)

With the RSNs, they are specific to the base market, and are not available "national".

As for INHD and INHD2... INHD2 is almost a dead network, and probably will start to disappear from all carriers. And IIRC, INHD has some very intresting "wording" for their contracts, that would end up costing DirectV for all 15+ million subscribers, not just those that get HD or the HD package.

So don't hold your breath on that one.

History Channel has already announced a contract with DirecTV
So has the Outdoor Channel (which it switches to split time with the Golf Network now that Comcast ownes them)

------------------------

There is also the "Wealth" Channel that is missing from your list.

And of course the VOOM channels, but those are exclusive to Dish

9 Posts
I was under the impression that many of the movie channels; i.e. Cinemax, Movie Channel; additional HBO and Showtime channels are also broadcast in HD, but only one HBO and one Showtime channel are currently broadcast in HD, and 5.1 sound.

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
DirecTV has been carrying many of the regional sports networks in HD, but only on a regional basis using the MPEG4 receivers (H20 or HR20). So, technically...

Comcast Sports Net HD, YES HD, NESN HD, FSN HD and MSG Network HD are all carried.

And I don't think that INHD2 exists anymore.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
cbt said:
I was under the impression that many of the movie channels; i.e. Cinemax, Movie Channel; additional HBO and Showtime channels are also broadcast in HD, but only one HBO and one Showtime channel are currently broadcast in HD, and 5.1 sound.
your right..

There is Max-HD; Starz-HD; and I think an Encore one as well.

There is no HBO2-HD, or SHO2-HD; ect

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I had hopes that Fox would start a group of HD channels, similar to Voom. Now that Murdoch will be out of the picture, that hope is kinda faded.

So that will probably leave D* behind E* for number of HD channels even after the new sats are operational and new channels come on board, won't it?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
paulman182 said:
I had hopes that Fox would start a group of HD channels, similar to Voom. Now that Murdoch will be out of the picture, that hope is kinda faded.

So that will probably leave D* behind E* for number of HD channels even after the new sats are operational and new channels come on board, won't it?
Probably in "Raw Count" maybe....

At least too me... VOOM was never attractive when they where first out, and the lineup still isn't attractive to me.

Give me more "original" content in HD, the Movie channels will supply me enough of "classics" re-done in HD.

· Icon
552 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
YES-HD is available part time
So is NESN-HD, I think 24-7 too

The FSN-HD is that national version? If not a lot of markets have the "Games" available in HD

CSN-HD is available in some markets (Chicago is one that it is)

With the RSNs, they are specific to the base market, and are not available "national".

As for INHD and INHD2... INHD2 is almost a dead network, and probably will start to disappear from all carriers. And IIRC, INHD has some very intresting "wording" for their contracts, that would end up costing DirectV for all 15+ million subscribers, not just those that get HD or the HD package.

So don't hold your breath on that one.

History Channel has already announced a contract with DirecTV
So has the Outdoor Channel (which it switches to split time with the Golf Network now that Comcast ownes them)

------------------------

There is also the "Wealth" Channel that is missing from your list.

The problem is that all the RSN networks are only carried in HD to their local markets on spot beams.

The main reason I purchased DirecTV in the first place was that the MLB Extra Innings package allowed me to still view my favorite team's games after I moved out of their local market.

Assuming that the new satellites are launched next year, I hope that all the HD channels of the RSN's will be broadcast CONUS.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,502 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
The Voom channels are not exclusive. BEV carries TreasureHD in their HD package. I suspect that the real issue is that Voom has QOS requirements that may make them exclusive of DirecTV until late next year.

If DirecTV had the bandwidth and were willing to set aside enough of it, I'm sure they would be carrying some Voom channels.

· Hall Of Fame
2,496 Posts
harsh said:
The Voom channels are not exclusive. BEV carries TreasureHD in their HD package. I suspect that the real issue is that Voom has QOS requirements that may make them exclusive of DirecTV until late next year.

If DirecTV had the bandwidth and were willing to set aside enough of it, I'm sure they would be carrying some Voom channels.
You really think E* would lease channels to their competitor DTV seeing as it is E* who owns VOOM now?

· Icon
509 Posts
I'm personally not interested in any HD channels that will have their own additional premium charge like HBO etc. What additional HD channels mentioned above would be simply included in the HD Package I currently subscribe to and do we see an increase in that package cost wise once more channels are added. Thanks.

· Legend
135 Posts
my local installer made a surprise visit to me the other day and told me that directv right now has the capability to have as many as 55 different HD channels. he also told me that sometime next year (didnt know exactly when) that directv is gonna have 52 hd channels available. hopefully that will mean that i will finally get a fox HD channel where i live (ft wayne, in market). our fox channel here broadcasts digital about 30ft (literally!) outside its doors right now. they claim its too expensive for them to do it. FCC basically laughs at our protests around here so any ideas (other than not supporting their advertisers) would be greatly appreciated as to getting them to up their signal just a weee bit...

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I went to an electronics tradeshow a few months ago in NYC and Gameplay TV (Part of the VOOM pacakage) was there. They had a sign in their booth that said "Available on DISH, Coming soon to DirecTV and Cable"

Their website however makes no mention of this "coming soon" anywhere. So maybe that has changed.

harsh said:

· Cool Member
10 Posts
I have been watching the Red Sox on NESN-HD since the middle of last season. It is carried in MPEG-4 so I'm guessing that it only comes to those that have NESN as their local RSN.

2007 looks like a good year for the home town team.

Go Sox!!!

· AllStar
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are the region sports networks in the 600's or are they sub 100 with the rest of the HD channels?

I've got the sports pack, should I be getting the region networks in HD?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.