DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 612 DVR and ran into an interesting and maybe alarming situation today. My wife records Rachel Ray on our local NBC station during daytime, but today the DVR event was blank. It showed 1 hour of record in the DVR window but when played there was nothing recorded, it would just flash back to the DVR menu.

Then tonight during the debates, I was watching again on the local NBC affiliate. At one point I tried to rewind but it wouldn't let me. When I pushed the rewind button it would just go to pause. Then when I hit play it would skip back to live TV.

So in other words on my local NBC station, there is no recording, rewinding or time shifting of any kind available whatsoever! I haven't found any other channel doing this, just channel 4 KFOR. (my local Oklahoma City NBC affiliate) Is this channel being copy protected? If so, how is that possible and who is in control of this happening? NBC? The local station? I've heard of copy protection on some premium movie channels but is this happening to anyone else on network channels? This is huge as I now won't be able to record any NBC programming, prime time or otherwise.

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
jericho said:
I have a 612 DVR and ran into an interesting and maybe alarming situation today. My wife records Rachel Ray on our local NBC station during daytime, but today the DVR event was blank. It showed 1 hour of record in the DVR window but when played there was nothing recorded, it would just flash back to the DVR menu.

Then tonight during the debates, I was watching again on the local NBC affiliate. At one point I tried to rewind but it wouldn't let me. When I pushed the rewind button it would just go to pause. Then when I hit play it would skip back to live TV.

So in other words on my local NBC station, there is no recording, rewinding or time shifting of any kind available whatsoever! I haven't found any other channel doing this, just channel 4 KFOR. (my local Oklahoma City NBC affiliate) Is this channel being copy protected? If so, how is that possible and who is in control of this happening? NBC? The local station? I've heard of copy protection on some premium movie channels but is this happening to anyone else on network channels? This is huge as I now won't be able to record any NBC programming, prime time or otherwise.
Things like this are sometimes cleared up by a simple reboot of your dvr. Perhaps, after your nightly reboot at 3:00am, you will be fine. Try those same recordings again.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
HD DVR copy protection occurs when you try to record via the HDMI output to a computer or dvd recorder. The dvr recording nothing but black is caused by some other problem. The nightly reload or a reboot could fix it and maybe even bring back the program to be viewed.

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is still doing the same thing this morning. Only the one channel (channel 4 NBC) and the recordings are not black screen, they are just zero second files which flash back immediately to the DVR menu when you click them.

Is there anyone else from the Oklahoma City DMA who gets KFOR channel 4, who can record that channel's HD feed on a Dish receiver? Particularly on a 612?

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
With the not being able to back up/rewind issue, are you sure you were watching live TV and not playback from the buffer? My kids pause the TV all the time and then leave, and when the buffer is full it starts playing from when the pause button was pressed. As it plays it automatically clears the buffer behind the play point to make room from the live TV that is still being recorded, so you can't back up. Is it possible this is what happened?

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a Satellite Feed. I'm positive its not the buffer. I've gone to other channels and come back to channel 4 and its only doing this on channel 4. I have never seen anything like this. If its copy protection, look out, your local might be next.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,970 Posts
jericho said:
It is a Satellite Feed. I'm positive its not the buffer. I've gone to other channels and come back to channel 4 and its only doing this on channel 4. I have never seen anything like this. If its copy protection, look out, your local might be next.
Did you try going to the OKC DMA site at AVSForum and see if anyone else is reporting this? You may also try posting this issue again with a title reflecting problems with the channel and see if anyone else (I'm sure there are other people in that DMA on this board) is having the same issue - if it is your local I'd start complaining to them.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Wasn't there a case in the past where a channels broadcast engineers "accidently" set the "no record" flag? Could this be another occurrence? Perhaps contact the station and ask them?

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
DUDE! I'm in Norman and have had the same problem recording from KFOR. I recorded Knight Rider a couple days ago and The Office tonight and can't watch either. Chuck from Monday doesn't have a problem though.

What happens with mine (I have a 722 btw) is it acts like a 1 second blank recording and stops when I try to play it. Then I select "Start Over" and I get a blank screen that shows the real length of the recording but I can't fast forward, stop, play or anything. To get out of it I have to change to another channel. I just tried restarting and it both recordings still do the same thing.

I guess I'll try AVS forums and see if there is anything there. If I find out anything I'll post it back here.

like it's wasn't bad enough that they can't show weather alerts without going back to SD. I really enjoyed my 10 seconds of Heroes in HD before they finished the show out in SD. Thank God the OU/Texas game is on ABC!

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep Norm, that's exactly the same problem I'm having. But you have a different HD receiver than me so that tells me its not just a 612 problem. And it started Tuesday for me too. My recordings on KFOR for monday worked. I'm amazed there aren't more upset OKC people on here yet.

Yes, please let me know if you find anything out. I may try to call the station tomorrow and see if its accidental "no record flag" issue. (scary if they can actually do that!) I had to turn away from the Dodgers game tonight to watch The Office live so this is really becoming a pain. What's the point of having a DVR if you can't record your favorite shows?

Oh, and I tried the 6000 channel for KFOR and it does the same thing.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
TP715 said:
Wasn't there a case in the past where a channels broadcast engineers "accidently" set the "no record" flag? Could this be another occurrence? Perhaps contact the station and ask them?
Anyone call the station and Dish, as this post is correct; it did happen one time.

·
6 Posts
It's not just NBC now it, Fox and ION.

I have two 622's and it does it on both. However if you go to SD everything works fine.

I also have OTA HD on these channels (on one of the TV), and if I switch to OTA the rewind, pause, etc works perfectly.

I called DISH and reported the problem and they said it was the Network. However if so why can I record on OTA HD?

Something is wrong with DISH HD locals when they are sending them back to the OKC / Norman area. I tried the other channels and they are OK for NOW.

So in short it's not your unit, it a flaw in either the software upgrade, or how DISH is sending the signal to us because remember: MY OTA-HD works fine, my SD on these channels works fine, just the HD on Fox, NBC and ION are doing this.

I hope they get a fix for this soon.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
h2ouup2 said:
It's not just NBC now it, Fox and ION.

I have two 622's and it does it on both. However if you go to SD everything works fine.

I also have OTA HD on these channels (on one of the TV), and if I switch to OTA the rewind, pause, etc works perfectly.

I called DISH and reported the problem and they said it was the Network. However if so why can I record on OTA HD?

Something is wrong with DISH HD locals when they are sending them back to the OKC / Norman area. I tried the other channels and they are OK for NOW.

So in short it's not your unit, it a flaw in either the software upgrade, or how DISH is sending the signal to us because remember: MY OTA-HD works fine, my SD on these channels works fine, just the HD on Fox, NBC and ION are doing this.

I hope they get a fix for this soon.
My son was in the other room watching knight rider and complained that when he unpaused it it would skip to live tv. So I tested the same thing you did and OTA can be paused, rewound, and whatever while the satellite version would not. IF kfor had turned on that broadcast flag wouldn't it not work for both?

I'm calling dish right now.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Ok guys, please call dish, explain the problem and tell them that they need to fill out a "technical problem report" for you. The lady I was on the phone with said the only thing she was showing in her system in the OKC area was a problem with Fox and Ion recording with static or something, which I guess is what was mentioned above. That is why they need to fill out the technical problem report.

I think the key thing you need to tell them is that the OTA version is fine while the satellite version is the problem. To me, that proves it's a Dish problem and not a kfor problem. Maybe if there are enough complaints then they will do something.

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I already called Dish and had them fill out a technical problem report last Thursday. So they should have had that showing in the system. Is there a technical hotline or email that we can go straight to the top on this? I want someone who can look at the feeds and see what I'm talking about. Not some random tech support person who just goes through the troubleshooting book.

·
2 Posts
I'm so seriously peeved about this! Starting Tuesday night with Bones and now I've lost My Name is Earl and Life. They say Start Over and shut off in under a second. So that's local channel's 4 and 25 here in OKC.

Like everyone else, I've rebooted, tried forwarding and backing up, but my recordings are just toast.

I just called Dish Network and after telling them about OKC's problems and walking through a number of diagnostic steps, they sent a message to the Engineering department. They're sending a technical problem report to the engineers and they're supposed to call me back within 24 hours. We'll see...

Thanks for starting this thread or I would've just thought it was my receiver.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
veggieliving said:
I'm so seriously peeved about this! Starting Tuesday night with Bones and now I've lost My Name is Earl and Life. They say Start Over and shut off in under a second. So that's local channel's 4 and 25 here in OKC.

Like everyone else, I've rebooted, tried forwarding and backing up, but my recordings are just toast.

I just called Dish Network and after telling them about OKC's problems and walking through a number of diagnostic steps, they sent a message to the Engineering department. They're sending a technical problem report to the engineers and they're supposed to call me back within 24 hours. We'll see...

Thanks for starting this thread or I would've just thought it was my receiver.
Watch Life here: http://www.nbc.com/Life/

Watch MNIE here: http://www.nbc.com/My_Name_Is_Earl/

Watch Bones here: http://www.fox.com/bones/

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.