DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just had DirecTV installed and have a HD DVR receiver (HR21) hooked up on the only one cable. This means I have to stop watching while recording, based on the information the installer told me. If I need to watch a channel and record a show on another channel, I will need two cables hooked to the receiver.

However it has only one cable in the house for my family room and I am wondering if there is any workaround that would help use one cable to watch and record at the same time...two cables in a room is not really a normal set up in most homes as far as I heard...

Thanks a lot,

J-
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
291 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
150 Posts
Your installer should have ran two cables to your HR21. Call DirecTV and tell them your install was not completed. This should have been done to start with.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,035 Posts
Definitely sounds like an unfinished installation to me. No reason why the installer shouldn't have run 2 lines from the dish to the receiver, unless he ran out of RG-6. He should definitely return and run the other line. Did you know he ran only 1 line when he had you sign off on the install?

Call D* and complain.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I will call DirecTV...

I am thinking about Single Wire Multiswitch to resolve this...thanks for the information above....is there anything that I can get and install for this SWM?
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
291 Posts
Yes. The SWM can be bought as a kit. Check Weaknees and Solid Signal.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
291 Posts
I bought mine on eB*y.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,626 Posts
Does the OP have more than just the HR2x receiver?

You can watch a recorded program while a new one records.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
291 Posts
harsh said:
Does the OP have more than just the HR2x receiver?

You can watch a recorded program while a new one records.
You know what? You're right. Ask a simple question - get a complicated answer. From ME at least! :grin:
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
291 Posts
On what exactly, Jake? The SWM? SOMEwhere on this forum is a link to download the installation manual. If you can't find it - PM me and I'll send it to you. In the meantime, Weaknees has some pics and documents that will be helpful.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cmnore said:
On what exactly, Jake? The SWM? SOMEwhere on this forum is a link to download the installation manual. If you can't find it - PM me and I'll send it to you. In the meantime, Weaknees has some pics and documents that will be helpful.
Yes...installing SWM...could you pm the link?

I read somewhere that the SWM hardware matters too in terms of quality and signal strength.

FYI, I searched "DirecTV SWM" on eBay and there are a lot to choose...any suggestion? Thanks...
 

· ΔS > 0
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
With SWM, you will have to pay about $140 for the equipment and then install it yourself. Maybe you can find a SWM LNB cheaper, but you still do the work. With only one receiver, you won't get much benefit except that you won't need the second cable.

But the installer should have put the second cable in, so you're talking about fixing his mistake at your time and expense. Let the installer fix it, like he should have done, while you're in the 90-day warranty period.

If you still think SWM is for you, go ahead. I've enjoyed mine.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
30 Posts
I had D* installed 2 days ago, and I have only 1 cable run to my HD DVR in my living room and I can record on 2 channels at once. (additionally, I had 4 other boxes 1 of which is HD - for a total of 5 boxes (6 feeds))

The installer indicated that this was a function of the "New Technology" dish - which only has a single line run to the basement. Then it feeds into a power injecter, then into a small splitter about half the size of a pack of cards.

Are'nt all new installs using the same technology and equipment!???
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
291 Posts
Not necessarily. Sounds like you got the 'NEW' SWM dish.
 

· I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
11,448 Posts

· New Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
erickufrin said:
I had D* installed 2 days ago, and I have only 1 cable run to my HD DVR in my living room and I can record on 2 channels at once. (additionally, I had 4 other boxes 1 of which is HD - for a total of 5 boxes (6 feeds))

The installer indicated that this was a function of the "New Technology" dish - which only has a single line run to the basement. Then it feeds into a power injecter, then into a small splitter about half the size of a pack of cards.

Are'nt all new installs using the same technology and equipment!???
I guess you are lucky and I will check my dish as well...

I called DirecTV customer support, according to them, this "new tech" dish is only available in certain markets...you probably reside in one of these markets...

BTW, what is the P/N of your dish? Mine is SL5PIG-Z...
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,787 Posts
harsh said:
New HD installs are, but only a few of the SD installs.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

However, most new installs use a Slimline dish(3LNB or 5LNB) which has an internal multi-switch with four ports to feed four tuners(DVR counts as two).

Some installs can have an external Single Wire Multi-Switch(SWM) which will supply eight tuners. The Slimline with SWM built into the LNB can supply eight tuners.

There are requirements to get SWM with a new install. I believe one is a minimum of 5 tuners with DVRs counting as two.

Mike
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top