DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the 0cdc update and got my first full freeze up on replay.

Up to this point, it's only been major corruption (pixilation, audio problems), but the program would play all the way through - I just couldn't watch it.....

Also, seems to be exclusively on NBC local HD affiliate (as mentioned in another thread they're perceived in the community as the worst...more on that later).

So I called the level 2 CSR and was informed that as of 10/2 this is a documented issue that the engineers are working on. ETR not determined.

And that this issue is being described as a cache issue, i.e. the digital format (MPEG-4?) is overloading the cache, and causing problems on playback.

And that, logically, once the engineers figure out the correct cache capacity, they'll upgrade and all will be well with the world.

Finally, the CSR was adamant that ABC was the worst, followed by NBC and CBS being the best.

I've not had any issues on CBS and particularly ABC.

So I find this a bit spurious. If it's the cache, why only on one network and not all three? And why now and not before the most recent update?

My solution will be do watch SD for the near term and try sporadically, after subsequent updates, to add in HD local programming on NBC.

Any speculation?

·
Godfather
284 Posts
Are you talking about a full lockup, or the temporary freeze during playback?

It doesn't seem like many are experiencing the problem I'm having (hard-lockup of the HR20 requiring the red reset button). If this is the issue you're mentioning, I hope a fix is coming soon. My wife has had it with the unit locking up, especially since it loses the guide data when you have to reset.

·
Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jkc120 said:
Are you talking about a full lockup, or the temporary freeze during playback?

It doesn't seem like many are experiencing the problem I'm having (hard-lockup of the HR20 requiring the red reset button). If this is the issue you're mentioning, I hope a fix is coming soon. My wife has had it with the unit locking up, especially since it loses the guide data when you have to reset.
In this particular instance the unit wasn't locked, but the program was frozen on a BSOD and wouldn't move forward, FF or normal. I gave up and watched something else.

If you mean hard-lockup incapacitates the unit overall, no.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
politzer said:
In this particular instance the unit wasn't locked, but the program was frozen on a BSOD and wouldn't move forward, FF or normal. I gave up and watched something else.

If you mean hard-lockup incapacitates the unit overall, no.
Hmm ok, thanks. I think I need a poll to see if anyone else is having the hard lockups requiring a reset. Maybe it's just me and I have a bad unit.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
'Hmm ok, thanks. I think I need a poll to see if anyone else is having the hard lockups requiring a reset. Maybe it's just me and I have a bad unit."

Mine has done that about once a week in the month I have had it, but not yet with the new download. Does it when first turned on in the morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.