DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2 or 3 days I have been having an issue with one of my local HD channels.

The HD signal of WBTV Channel 3 will go off for anywhere from 10 seconds to several minutes.

During this time, none of the other local channels including the SD signal of channel 3 is affected.

The question is, where does this problem come from? Is it Direct TV, is it my box or is it the signal provided by WBTV to DTV? How can I tell?

I have an HR 21 - 700 sw release 0x235

Transponders on 103 are

0 0 0 0 0 0 N/A N/A
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 87 47
84 0 0 57 56 0 91 0
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

Who do I need to call and what do I need to tell them or complain about?

There was a period last night that channel 3 had the direct tv page showing this signal is not available at this time and we are aware of the problem. there is no need to call.

I am also getting some pixelation and stuttering on this channel from time to time.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interesting, 61 views and zero replies.

Must be a real puzzle or everyone has already left for the holiday? :grin:

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BUMP

Hello anyone out there?

97 views and no suggestions yet?

·
Hall Of Fame
9,690 Posts
I watch this local a lot and have noticed in the past week a lot of 10-30 second (or more) interruptions, but it looks like uplink or station problems.

I don't bother to change channels or check the SD.

I've tried to find a listing of spot beams and transponders but it seems very elusive. If you posted 103s, the ones that have signal look a little low, but that's a guess. And I'm 10 miles north of Charlotte and mine are different from yours.

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more bump since the weekend is over.

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The signal dropped about two times during the 11pm news last night, and twice during Letterman as well. Only about 20-30 seconds but still very irritating.

Dropouts and pixellation is the reason I switched to DTV from our local cable provider in the first place. It was much worse on cable which I have now found out is the fault of the S/A software load that is not updated very often, and is a problem anywhere the S/A DVRs are in use, not just here locally.

Thanks for checking on that, I do not have OTA set up here, I think I am too far from the transmitter to get a reliable signal anyway.

·
Hall Of Fame
9,690 Posts
I've continued to notice occasional 10-30 second interruptions but they appear to be uplink problems. By the time I change to OTA to confirm a good signal and back to the sat feed, they're back.

While I'm sitting through a pretty severe thunderstorm as I type this, they don't seem to be related to storms.

If they continue, I suppose an email to the station will be in order.

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a very interesting and informative chat on the phone with the Operations Manager (Chief Engineer) of WBTV today.

He said they have been having some problems with the feed to Direct TV, 3 separate problems in fact.

He said they are working diligently on the problem and hope to have it resolved very soon. The last of the 3 problems is being a bit troublesome, and elusive.

He asked me to let him know either by email or phone whenever the signal drops again.

I was very impressed with the response.:D

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I lost WBTV again tonight, and it has been off as I write this for over an hour, I am not sure how much longer.

I was watching a program I had recorded, and when it ended, I noticed there was a banner page from DTV on the screen, that I could watch missing network programming on the following channels... DTV had turned on the CBSE feed on Channel 80.

It appears this in a longer problem and may be unrelated to the earlier problems.

The other HD Channels in Charlotte are working, and WBTV is working on the SD channel.

Anybody have an idea what gives here?

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WBTV HD signal is gone again. It has been off since around 1:20 pm yesterday (8/25/08) and is still off this morning. The SD signal is fine.

DTV has a banner page up that they are aware of the problem.

All the other Charlotte Stations are on with HD and SD.

Can anyone around Charlotte verify if the OTA HD signal is working today?

I plan to call their CE later this morning, but wanted to verify whether the OTA signal was working first.

·
Legend
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The word I got back from the CE was:

We had a problem with the Amber computer that feeds data through the DTV signal which caused the problem. We are back up and running now.

This was around 1:30 today, and my 12:30 recording was fine.

Anybody know what this "Amber computer" is? I googled it and got nothing useful.

·
Godfather
331 Posts
I'm guessing it has something to do with their Amber alert system but I can't imagine how that could knock their HD feed off the air for 2 days.

I've now missed two days of Letterman, Monday because of this "Amber" outage and Tuesday because of rain fade from the storm that's been parked over us for the last 6 hours or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.