DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Super Moderator
54,021 Posts
Here's the thread ...
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=54667

The delay is odd. Earlier this year E* was rolling out markets quickly - now, not so much and D*'s announcement that they will serve 74% of the US population with HD locals isn't good for E*.

· Beware the Attack Basset
25,986 Posts
boatdrink said:
From reading the headlines today it looks like Direct TV is edging out dish in picking up the local HD markets. Why is Dish so far behind?
Probably a business decision as much as anything. The DNS issue has likely forced Dish to concentrate on finishing out their SD lineups in the 41 markets that they aren't SD LIL yet. DirecTV may be getting similar heat soon.

If you ask the people over at D* what they want, it is national HD. The grass is always greener...

Having seen much of what the Fall network television season has to offer, I submit that E* made the correct decision; especially since the move of Monday Night Football to ESPN and the popularity of serials on HBO and Showtime.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
While I look forward to Raleigh HD locals on Dish so that when I get my ViP622 I can record more than one show at a time off the major locals... I am happily watching OTA HD right now just fine.

So, given the choice of more national channels, or regional sports networks in HD, vs locals in HD... I would rather have the nationals/regionals.

Many folks who had trouble getting SD locals OTA in the past are able to get HD locals OTA (like me for instance) just fine and nice and sharp, much sharper than they will be on satellite... so there is not as big a push for the locals in HD yet.

I agree that Dish has made the better choice to focus on nationals first, locals in HD second.

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
harsh said:
Having seen much of what the Fall network television season has to offer, I submit that E* made the correct decision; especially since the move of Monday Night Football to ESPN and the popularity of serials on HBO and Showtime.
The funny thing is, D* has all three of the channels you cite in HD, so what's the difference?

25,986 Posts
Newshawk said:
The funny thing is, D* has all three of the channels you cite in HD, so what's the difference?
That local channels, save possibly ABC, aren't providing content that is as compelling as the national channels. With the exception of the odd sporting event, there's been more lusting after Voom's Monster channel than there has been of anything on NBC.

25,986 Posts
Wicker 54 said:
When do you think the Evansville Ind area will get HD ?
Evansville is Nielsen market 111, so you should invest in a suitable OTA antenna.

· Legend
123 Posts
My problem is that OTA is not a viable option for me and my Indy market HD has been uplinked since May. It wouldn't seem that difficult to at least get those three markets going. I can more understand a delay in getting more uplinked but this is just getting frustrating.

· Godfather
421 Posts
boatdrink said:
From reading the headlines today it looks like Direct TV is edging out dish in picking up the local HD markets. Why is Dish so far behind?
They're behind? Direct TV doesn't even offer HD Locals in Portland, OR. Yet Dish has for months now. And from what i'm seeing so far it seems Direct TV is way behind in HD locals.

· Super Moderator
54,021 Posts
It's a regional thing. E* had a long list of markets they were going to have up by the end of the year yet it has been several months since they added the last two markets and there are two uplinked markets still waiting to be activated.

D* just published a huge list for their next round. Of course you have to get their nasty dish to get the HD locals, but apparently those monsters work.

E* will catch up ... not sure why they are not moving now, but they will come.

25,986 Posts
archer75 said:
They're behind? Direct TV doesn't even offer HD Locals in Portland, OR. Yet Dish has for months now. And from what i'm seeing so far it seems Direct TV is way behind in HD locals.
DirectTV has rolled out some locals in almost twice as many markets. They seem to have a little more trouble that Dish Network with getting all of the stations going at once.

D* put up two Portland stations about three weeks ago. The are also lagging strangely behind in Seattle where they also have two stations (compared to Dish Network's four in both markets for quite a while now).

Dish is currently getting after SD locals in some of the smaller markets to avoid problems with customers who would otherwise need distants. DirecTV, on the other hand, is building out HD while neglecting almost entirely the many SD markets that remain unserved.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
harsh said:
DirectTV has rolled out some locals in almost twice as many markets. They seem to have a little more trouble that Dish Network with getting all of the stations going at once.

D* put up two Portland stations about three weeks ago. The are also lagging strangely behind in Seattle where they also have two stations (compared to Dish Network's four in both markets for quite a while now).

Dish is currently getting after SD locals in some of the smaller markets to avoid problems with customers who would otherwise need distants. DirecTV, on the other hand, is building out HD while neglecting almost entirely the many SD markets that remain unserved.
Twice as many? Not by my count, but D* is well ahead at the moment. I agree that E* is probably working more to settle the DNS issue by adding SD Locals.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
The Tampa-St. Petersburg HD locals NEED to be done before these other smaller markets like Tulsa, Norfolk, Greenville, or Burlington. I really don't feel like moving my service address to Miami but I may have to just to see the Super Bowl in HD this February. My service address is only 10 miles or so from WTSP's transmitter in Holiday so I doubt they will give me a waiver for WCBS-DT and my real address is like 50 miles away from WKMG's transmitter in East Orlando so there is no shot of getting any CBS in HD unless I switch my address to Broward or Dade County.

· Cool Member
18 Posts
BFG said:
Why don't you just put up an antenna since you're so close
Sorry, I didn't post more details. I live on Patrick Air Force Base, we are not allowed to put up outdoor antennas so my only option is indoor which I only get Orlando NBC affiliate WESH-DT, but just barely. I don't like any of the Orlando stations except ABC affiliate WFTV for news, so my service address is my parents house near Tampa. Tampa is not on the list for HD locals current or future so my only option is "moving" my service address again but to Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, I don't have relatives there anymore to use for an address so now I'm thinking since Philly HD locals are not on spotbeam yet, I may go that route since my in-laws live across the river in New Jersey.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
jerseyfla said:
Sorry, I didn't post more details. I live on Patrick Air Force Base, we are not allowed to put up outdoor antennas so my only option is indoor which I only get Orlando NBC affiliate WESH-DT, but just barely. I don't like any of the Orlando stations except ABC affiliate WFTV for news, so my service address is my parents house near Tampa. Tampa is not on the list for HD locals current or future so my only option is "moving" my service address again but to Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, I don't have relatives there anymore to use for an address so now I'm thinking since Philly HD locals are not on spotbeam yet, I may go that route since my in-laws live across the river in New Jersey.
At the risk of stirring a hornet's nest here in regards to people who are sensitive to "moving"... if you're living on an air force base, then that tends to mean either you or a family member is in the air force, doesn't it? In which case... is it really a good thing for a military officer to have an account with Dish that contains intentionally fraudulent information?

Staying away from the moral and legal implications we normally discuss... if caught, it seems like this sort of thing would be frowned upon by the military. They could hardly be shown to support officers or families on-base lying I would think.

Might not be the best idea to be posting about on a public form is all I'm saying... though I've gone on record in the past as being opposed to the "movers" as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.