DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the Directv press release below that lists 45 markets that should be receiving HD locals by the end of the year. I'm in the Davenport, IA - Rock Island, IL local and it's on the list, so I was wondering if this is still on track as it mentioned the rollout is supposed to start in August (which is almost over). If so, do they have an order or is it just totally random?

Also, in the press release it mentions the following:

DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC - where available and authorized, to customers who subscribe to any CHOICE® programming package that offers local channels. DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $9.99 access fee, allowing them to receive DIRECTV's premier HD technology and all channels broadcast in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

I am currently subscribed to the FAMILY package, but I'm also paying the $9.99/mo for HD access as well as the HD EXTRA. The paragraph above seems to imply I'd need a CHOICE package, but since I'm paying the HD Access fee, wouldn't I get the locals in HD even with my FAMILY package? Or will I have to upgrade to one of the CHOICE packages?

Thanks! Here's the link below:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4800002

·
Hall Of Fame
2,459 Posts
Family is one of the Choice programming packages. They are, in order of cost:

Family
Choice
Choice Xtra
Plus DVR
Plus HD DVR
Premier

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Good question. I am just hoping that D* offers my locals to me in SD or HD sometime in the near future. Are you really satisfied with the family package? I could not handle that there would be so many channels that I would miss.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
joshjr said:
Good question. I am just hoping that D* offers my locals to me in SD or HD sometime in the near future. Are you really satisfied with the family package? I could not handle that there would be so many channels that I would miss.
I have 3 young kids, so the Family package is actually all I need at this point in our lives. Most of the time, we're either watching A) a cartoon, B) a show on network TV, or C) a DVD/Bluray. So with the Family package, we still get several cartoon channels that the kids really like and a few channels my wife and I like (National Geo, Hallmark, Home & Garden). And I have the HD Extra pack so I get a few extra channels in HD that are fun to watch sometimes.

But come this fall, we'll be watching mostly network TV - Prison Break, Heroes, Survivor, and Lost after the new year. I've relied on an antenna for HD locals so far and it's been pretty flaky (lost of dropouts no matter where I place it probably due to multi-path since we live around a lot of trees that are in the line of sight to the HD towers). So I'm really looking forward to having HD locals over the satellite, which it appears we are scheduled for some time in October. So I just wanted to make sure that we'd still get them with the Family package.

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC - where available and authorized, to customers who subscribe to any CHOICE® programming package that offers local channels. DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $9.99 access fee, allowing them to receive DIRECTV's premier HD technology and all channels broadcast in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

From the sounds of this, these locals may be the MPEG 4 conversions too.... Sounds like they will drop the MPEG2 feeds. It says any customers that have any CHOICE® package with locals, not choice w/ hd access, and the HD access will do all the other channels in their package that have hd.... Well my interpretation anyway. Now to get D* to drop the necessity of HD access for the AM21 to work.....

·
Legend
248 Posts
Travisimo said:
I was reading the Directv press release below that lists 45 markets that should be receiving HD locals by the end of the year. I'm in the Davenport, IA - Rock Island, IL local and it's on the list, so I was wondering if this is still on track as it mentioned the rollout is supposed to start in August (which is almost over). If so, do they have an order or is it just totally random?

Also, in the press release it mentions the following:

I am currently subscribed to the FAMILY package, but I'm also paying the $9.99/mo for HD access as well as the HD EXTRA. The paragraph above seems to imply I'd need a CHOICE package, but since I'm paying the HD Access fee, wouldn't I get the locals in HD even with my FAMILY package? Or will I have to upgrade to one of the CHOICE packages?

Thanks! Here's the link below:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4800002
Which according to this: Scheduled DirecTV HD local rollout.

It looks like they are on schedule.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Travisimo said:
I have 3 young kids, so the Family package is actually all I need at this point in our lives. Most of the time, we're either watching A) a cartoon, B) a show on network TV, or C) a DVD/Bluray. So with the Family package, we still get several cartoon channels that the kids really like and a few channels my wife and I like (National Geo, Hallmark, Home & Garden). And I have the HD Extra pack so I get a few extra channels in HD that are fun to watch sometimes.

But come this fall, we'll be watching mostly network TV - Prison Break, Heroes, Survivor, and Lost after the new year. I've relied on an antenna for HD locals so far and it's been pretty flaky (lost of dropouts no matter where I place it probably due to multi-path since we live around a lot of trees that are in the line of sight to the HD towers). So I'm really looking forward to having HD locals over the satellite, which it appears we are scheduled for some time in October. So I just wanted to make sure that we'd still get them with the Family package.
You might look into a stronger antenna or a amp for the one you have. I bet just an amp would fix most of your problems. From I been reading it increases your signal by about 10-15% which in most cases would be good enough boost to cover what you need.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joshjr said:
You might look into a stronger antenna or a amp for the one you have. I bet just an amp would fix most of your problems. From I been reading it increases your signal by about 10-15% which in most cases would be good enough boost to cover what you need.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not a weak signal that I'm getting. All of my local stations via the antenna come in between 90-100 most of the time but will suddenly drop down to 0 for less than a second and then go back up. Some days it doesn't happen at all, some days it happens about once every 10 seconds and the entire program will be glitchy with dropouts. This happened with my old HR10-250 and still happens with the HR20. I've tried indoor antennas and now have a nice roof antenna and the problem still exists.

So I'm definitely looking forward to HD locals from the bird.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,974 Posts
Travisimo said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not a weak signal that I'm getting. All of my local stations via the antenna come in between 90-100 most of the time but will suddenly drop down to 0 for less than a second and then go back up. Some days it doesn't happen at all, some days it happens about once every 10 seconds and the entire program will be glitchy with dropouts. This happened with my old HR10-250 and still happens with the HR20. I've tried indoor antennas and now have a nice roof antenna and the problem still exists.

My thoughts were it could not hurt to try I bet it would cost you like $50 or $60 at wal mart. If it dont work then take it back. Also do you have any trees that could be in the way disrupting your signal?

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
joshjr said:
Travisimo said:

joshjr said:
My thoughts were it could not hurt to try I bet it would cost you like $50 or $60 at wal mart. If it dont work then take it back. Also do you have any trees that could be in the way disrupting your signal?
Amps don't really do anything with bad signals except make them worse, generally. Amps are only really helpful if you have a good signal and your splitting it up or have really long runs, to keep the good signal high...

Do you have your antenna split? How long are the runs? You say that this signal is always high or 0? Have you ever tried putting an attenuator inline and DECREASEING the signal? How far away do you live from the broadcast antennas and are you clear line of sight? Have you checked to see if any of your neighbors have the same issues? If they do, you may want to write letters to the station engineers... Oh, and does anyone have a giant HAM antenna near by? You never know.... :D Sorry I rattled off a lot right there... Its kinda late...

As for pricing.. Nothing changes... If you get LIL SD channels now, when they light up the HD versions, nothing will change on your plan. There are probably a few customers out there that specifically don't subscribe to SD LIL with their channel packages, so they would not get the HD versions... There is always the exception to the rule..

ALL LIL HD feeds in the country are MPEG-4 ONLY. The NY DNS feeds are MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 at the moment, but the MPEG-2 will go away very soon..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.