DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
cbeckner80 said:
I noticed it also, but on a recorded program last night, so wasn't sure where the issue was.

Havn't has any problems today, but I really havne't had any locals on. I'll pay more attention tonight when the network shows start.
Ok good, I thought something was screwed up with my SWM install I got yesterday. All the recordings from last night on CBS had audio drop outs. I didn't have any from earlier in the week, so I thought I had a problem.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,316 Posts
Charles Munroe said:
At least two weeks. I have had audio drop outs
on Network programs from WGCL-TV Atlanta 46
on DirecTv.
I'm not alone then.

Watching Criminal Minds last night and CSI:NY and thought they were just awful. At times, they were losing an entire sentence.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I thought I had switched CSI to my new DVR, but apparently I didn't setup the series link, so I didn't record it. I've noticed issues on all my recordings since wednesday on 46, nothing on other channels. NBC shows were fine.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,316 Posts
46 has been awful the last few weeks. The drops of gone from a just blip to as much as full second or two. It is really frustrating to have dialogue just disappear. Don't notice it as much during CSI:Miami though. The crappy acting might also have something to do with it.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I have been following up on the situation with CH 46 CBS in Atlanta, As someone who has never experienced the pixelization and audio dropouts others have reported, it was particularly disturbing when I began experiencing it for the first time.

I contacted the station's head of engineering and received the surprisingly candid response:

Larry,

We are painfully aware of the problem.
It is not a DirecTV issue, however DirecTV makes the situation worse as they take our signal off the air, ship it back to LA (via fiber) then re-encode it to MPEG 4 for distribution.
It is not even our problem at WGCL.
The problem is in the new CBS network distribution system. That system is what CBS uses to get the signal to us.
Three weeks ago they changed all the receivers and switching equipment at our station, and upgraded the modulation stream they use.
There is a bug in the system that causes drop-outs (mostly audio) that occur randomly….about twice to three times an hour.

I was on the phone with them again this morning and as of yet they to not have a solution. They are meeting with the manufacturer again this week.

Sorry for the disruption.

Steve

Steve Flanagan

This may be the same cause of the CBS issues in other cities...

Larry

·
AllStar
63 Posts
For 2 weeks now I have been experiencing bad pixilation during the American Idol broadcasts. As for the instructions:
Channel: 5 (FoxHD)
Date: 1/13, 1/14, 1/20, 1/21
Time: 8pm to 10 pm on 1/13 and 1/14 and 8pm to 9pm on 1/20 and 1/21
Description: Pixilation mainly during scene switching which happens a lot during American Idol like back and forth between the judges and contestants. It also appears in their shirts like they distort and then clear up. It almost semes like a bandwidth issue from an end user experience.

I have not noticed it on other Fox shows but the scene jumping happens more often during American Idol and the colors are more vivid. At least my theory.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Thanks for sharing Larry...

Often the local station issues are over-looked by some as the source of issues in transmission quality, pixellation, sound problems, or other elements that impact the end viewer.

Since 46's HD is very new...I am not surprised they would still have some "tweaking" needed over the first 90 days or so...

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Additional Information from the station..

CBS affiliates acroos the country are experiencing the same issue.

Larry

·
Legend
272 Posts
Gweeto said:
For 2 weeks now I have been experiencing bad pixilation during the American Idol broadcasts. As for the instructions:
Channel: 5 (FoxHD)
Date: 1/13, 1/14, 1/20, 1/21
Time: 8pm to 10 pm on 1/13 and 1/14 and 8pm to 9pm on 1/20 and 1/21
Description: Pixilation mainly during scene switching which happens a lot during American Idol like back and forth between the judges and contestants. It also appears in their shirts like they distort and then clear up. It almost semes like a bandwidth issue from an end user experience.

I have not noticed it on other Fox shows but the scene jumping happens more often during American Idol and the colors are more vivid. At least my theory.
I see the same problems with FOX 32 in Chicago. Just as you describe, mostly during quick scene changes. Over the air it is fine so I have given up watching FOX via Directv. It also happens to lesser extents on WLS ABC 7 and WGN CW 9. Again, over the air is fine so it must be something that Directv's equipment doesn't like.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.