DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,696 Posts
I hope that someone at DirecTV realizes that Honolulu is still not getting the local NBC affiliate in HD. I just looked at the DirecTV website hoping to find news of plans for new HD local service for Honolulu, but applying the local filter to HD channels available, I see, among others, the following listed:
  • NBC - KHNL (13)
  • MYTV - KFVE (5)
It's not true, though. They are still in SD here on DirecTV (though they are HD over the air, on cable, and on Dish).

· UNIX
2,389 Posts
Greg,

Your KHON CW channel record in the TPN Map is an MPEG4 channel - typically an HD channel, but as is obvious to you, the MPEG4 payload is apparently now standard def. This channel description is also shown with an "A3" prefix, the usual descriptor for an HD channel.

I would suspect that you will have this CW programming in HD very soon. All the necessary structure is in place. But I would also suspect that your delay in getting this HD channel is not a technical issue but more probably a financial or contractual problem that needs to be resolved.

· Hall Of Fame
1,696 Posts
Doug Brott said:

HD Locals available in this DMA
  • ABC - KITV (4)
  • CBS - KGMB (9)
  • FOX - KHON (2)
  • PBS - KHET (11)
  • NBC - KHNL (13) [please add]
  • MNT - KFVE (5) [please add]
Gary Toma said:
I would suspect that you will have this CW programming in HD very soon. All the necessary structure is in place. But I would also suspect that your delay in getting this HD channel is not a technical issue but more probably a financial or contractual problem that needs to be resolved.
I hope it's soon. By the way, the initial post in this thread could now include two other HD locals, as I've indicated above.

· UNIX
2,389 Posts
Greg,

All the "Post #1" entries in each of the DMA-Specific threads are long overdue for an update. We are working that issue right now.

In the meantime - are you familiar with our Local-into-Local master database, which we update each week? There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you understand it, all the information that we have is at your fingertips...

So are you familiar the the TPN Map data?

Gary

· UNIX
2,389 Posts
Greg, After a little reflection, I have decided not to take on the task of updating the 'Post #1' entry for each the active HD Local threads in this forum. The endeavour to update each of those 196 posts is daunting enough. But the biggest problem of all is maintaining all those posts in accuracy. I am not sure it is viable to try to maintain each of those threads on a weekly basis. Separate threads for each DMA is an excellent means of sharing information, but it does not work well as a basis for a vast amount of data.

So we are now on Plan B.

I have placed an Excel database of all the Directv Locals as a 'sticky' thread in this forum. This thread is totally accurate because it is just a modification of the complete and more complex technical data which is produced each week as a part the the TPN Map. It is a viable reference and resource.

· Hall Of Fame
1,696 Posts
I would suspect that you will have this CW programming in HD very soon.
Now it's over 3 years later with no change. Channel 2-2 in Honolulu, carrying CW programming, is still shown in the Guide as HD, but it is actually SD. As I reported years ago, the local station claims it is available in HD.

By the way, that list of pointers to the various local threads above does not have a correct pointer to this thread for Honolulu.

· Hall Of Fame
5,376 Posts
Since it's a subchannel, the carry one in HD carry all in HD rule doesn't apply, it only applies to the primary channel of full powered stations. Whenever the contract of the parent company is up for renewal hopefully HD carriage of the CW subchannel will be included.

· UNIX
2,389 Posts
By the way, that list of pointers to the various local threads above does not have a correct pointer to this thread for Honolulu.
Greg,
I have corrected the pointer for Honolulu. But the other 198 pointers to the various DMAs also need to be corrected. Several updates in the Board software have silently made changes rendering all the links in Post #1 useless. Most of the links on this board are now broken.
Sorry
:(

· UNIX
2,389 Posts
Now it's over 3 years later with no change. Channel 2-2 in Honolulu, carrying CW programming, is still shown in the Guide as HD, but it is actually SD. As I reported years ago, the local station claims it is available in HD.
Greg,

The current TPN Map properly shows your Honolulu channels 2-2, 4-2, 11-2, 20 and 56 all as "A3/SD" channels. That is: they are channels provided using MPEG4 compression, capable of carrying and providing HD, but they are all carrying SD content. The TPN Map is updated at least weekly, and provides you fully accurate information.

KyL416 (above) has pointed you in the right direction. This is a contractual/financial issue. It is not a technical issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.