DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this in another thread, but I'm guessing no one reading that topic is particularly interested in the Portland problem..

In Portland, Oregon we have two HD locals out of the possible four. D* states they are "in negotiations" to get the other two. What the hell? Media companies and broadcasters and the FCC all add up to a very anticonsumer time we live in.

But I digress. Anyone have any insight into when we'll get the other two locals here? I'd hoped the enabling of OTA would solve this for me; it did not. Just really spotty and not nearly as willing to receive the OTA broadcasts as my TV is by itself. So, it'd be great if we actually got the locals from D* as they proudly announced we could when they added Portland.

Other than this issue and a couple remaining bugs with the HR20 system, I am reasonably happy with D* and the unit itself.

-S

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
litzdog911 said:
Supposedly KOMO, owned by Fisher Broadcasting, finally reached agreement to carry KOMO (ABC), so hopefully that applies to your Portland Fisher station also (KATU).
Thanks for the word. I hope that's how it plays out.

Funny that you can't just get nationals when the locals won't play nice with the sat provider. Crazy FCC rules. It stymies me that someone has a right to insist that I only see THEIR commercials (which is supposedly what it's all about). I did apply for the exception, but it's 100% up to the local stations to approve the request or not. No legal channels, no appeals process, nothing.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
The line about "in negotiations" may or may not be fully accurate.

As you can see by my sig, I can't say too much, but I can tell you that our company has no problem with DirecTV carrying PDX49 and is in no "negotiations" that I'm aware of. I am not personally aware of why Direct hasn't yet put it on, but it isn't becasue we're prohibiting them from doing it as far as I know. Of course, we have a similar issue with a local cable TV company as well.

So when they tell you that they're "in negoatiations" take it with a small grain of salt - Direct has various business issues, like any other carrier, that they may not be willing to reveal to subscribers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.