DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Mentor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in a couple of threads related to HD Locals for the Raleigh, NC area being avaliable last July/August timeframe. Does anyone know why this hasn't happend (sorry if I missed this answer in another posting I might have missed). I'm fixing to upgrade to a HD 622 and the DISH 1000 (but would love to do the HD Local upgrade at the same time - DISH 1000+). Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Nobody really knows why Raleigh HD is not up yet. They have been intesting mode since late summer... but another market (Indy) was also in testing but eventually removed.

There could be contract negotiation problems, and if so then Dish is too involved with other legal things right now to pursue Raleigh HD locals as a priority... Could also be technical issues too.

Unfortunately we will find out whenever we find out. I was thinking the same thing, hoping to get one upgrade all at once... but finally jumped to the new stuff and quit waiting. In theory, Dish would provide (as they have in the past) free upgrades to your roof stuff as needed to get the Raleigh HD locals whenever they do launch them.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I saw that in the uplink thread... and wondered (posted already in that thread) what happened to the rest of Raleigh... and also when/if anyone in Raleigh will be able to get a 500+ or 1000+ dish to actually get those.

Local installers (including mine) were told by Dish that Raleigh locals would be on 129, so they have not been trying to install any + dishes here... so for any of us to actually see these locals, Dish will have to pay/send folks around to upgrade out roof stuff yet again.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
HDMe said:
I saw that in the uplink thread... and wondered (posted already in that thread) what happened to the rest of Raleigh... and also when/if anyone in Raleigh will be able to get a 500+ or 1000+ dish to actually get those.

Local installers (including mine) were told by Dish that Raleigh locals would be on 129, so they have not been trying to install any + dishes here... so for any of us to actually see these locals, Dish will have to pay/send folks around to upgrade out roof stuff yet again.
WRAL is probably still in negotiations as with Direct :(

·
Mentor
30 Posts
bhawley said:
WRAL is probably still in negotiations as with Direct :(
My installer was told that I needed the 1000 + to get the Raleigh HD locals. So that's what I got. This is as of 2 weeks ago.

As for WRAL... I get their OTA OK, so I'm more excited about the 2 we got.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
ClaytonD said:
My installer was told that I needed the 1000 + to get the Raleigh HD locals. So that's what I got. This is as of 2 weeks ago.

I would think in Clayton you would get everything except PBS ota :)
I know I do but of course the antenna farm lights are fairly bright :)

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
ClaytonD said:
Being in Clayton... I am surprised you wouldn't get 5, 11, 17, 22, 28, and 50 all solid since they are all on the towers in that same area.

As another poster already mentioned, channel 4 is broadcast from Chapel Hill and lower powered than the others so that one is tricky for some folks to get.

·
Mentor
30 Posts
HDMe said:
Being in Clayton... I am surprised you wouldn't get 5, 11, 17, 22, 28, and 50 all solid since they are all on the towers in that same area.

As another poster already mentioned, channel 4 is broadcast from Chapel Hill and lower powered than the others so that one is tricky for some folks to get.
I do get them all OTA with just a silver satin indoor antenna. Obviously the signal strength goes and comes. I don't care to raise a big antenna and an extra attic antenna would require some tricky cabling to get it back to my TVs (only have on feed to each right now). So I like the idea of getting the locals via HD on the sat.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I understand... and I want the Raleigh HD locals on satellite for the same reason, to take advantage of the multiple tuners in the ViP622.

I was just wondering why you would get 5 well, but not 11 and 17 since you seemed most happy with those two channels being added.

I would think that you'd either get all of them equally well OR perhaps you would be too close to the tower and actually be under the signal unless you put up a tower of your own.

Just surprised that you would get 5 well and the others not as well since you are right there. I am about 30 miles or so away and get them all rock-solid from my location with an indoor antenna sitting atop my TV in a 1-story house.

·
Legend
149 Posts
You guys do know that WRAL offers free antenna's right. You can email them and they will calculate what you need and send it to you. They send out channel masters too. I got a real nice attic antenna from them. Cabling was a pain but I get everything at %100 except PBS and I am out near brier creek in durham.

·
Legend
149 Posts
Ohh and FYI. They told me that when you set up to have them install the new dish to get sat 118.7 that they have to cut your locals until then.. NP for me because I have an antenna but some may be pissed by that.

·
Mentor
30 Posts
HDMe said:
I understand... and I want the Raleigh HD locals on satellite for the same reason, to take advantage of the multiple tuners in the ViP622.

I was just wondering why you would get 5 well, but not 11 and 17 since you seemed most happy with those two channels being added.

I would think that you'd either get all of them equally well OR perhaps you would be too close to the tower and actually be under the signal unless you put up a tower of your own.

Just surprised that you would get 5 well and the others not as well since you are right there. I am about 30 miles or so away and get them all rock-solid from my location with an indoor antenna sitting atop my TV in a 1-story house.
Per antenna web I'm about 18 miles from the tower that has all of them. For some reason though, 17 (NBC) seems to have a weaker signal at times. 5, 11, and 50 stay about the same. Obviously there are a lot of factors involved. I'm sure I'm getting some interference from time to time just using this simple indoor antenna. I might try to get the free antenna from WRAL for grins... although I'm not sure I could use it easily. Does anyone know if it's possible to "split" the signal from an antenna and the Dish sat over one cable? Meaning I send the signals down one cable and split it back out at the recvr.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
HDMe said:

Multipath. I have an outside uhf and can see the towers, but a storm moved the aim slightly and now both WNCN and FOX drop out but Ral and TVD are solid. Really strange considering ant. locations on the same tower :)

·
AllStar
52 Posts
ClaytonD said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to "split" the signal from an antenna and the Dish sat over one cable? Meaning I send the signals down one cable and split it back out at the recvr.
Sure. Just go to Lowes and get the RCA sat. diplexers, about $10 each. Don't get the splitter/combiners, they look almost indentical and are sometimes packaged wrong. You need 2 and some short cables.

·
Mentor
30 Posts
HDMe said:
Yeah, channel 17 around here usually is my lowest signal too. Still solid now, but about 10-12 points lower on my ViP622 than the others.
Yep, that's exactly what I get too. Mostly solid, but tends to drop out more.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
ClaytonD said:
Yep, that's exactly what I get too. Mostly solid, but tends to drop out more.
My HDTV is just a monitor (no tuner)... I used to have a 6000 Dish HD receiver, and 17 HD would breakup more often than the other channels. Similar results on an Accurian standalone HD receiver I had.

But, since getting my ViP622 a few weeks ago, everything improved, and I actually have had NO OTA breakups since install. I get 5, 11, 22, 28, 50 all at 95-100 on the signal bar and a solid lock... My channel 4 comes in clean at 70-75 and my 17 comes in solid at 88-90 most days.

So... if my results are any indication, you may experience similar better locking on the digital channels once you get your ViP622 upgrade. I was very happy, and it completely changed my plans to put up a larger in-attic antenna to get better signal. I'm not going to get better than what I have right now. Hopefully you will see similar results once you get your new receiver.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.