DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it my local HD channels keep going south (pixelating, code 771) from time to time. I have Santa's present (0x10B) running in my HR20 presently. This was an issue beforewith an H20 and my present HR20 (before software upgrade). This is also my 2nd HR20 from DTV as first one had some issues not related to this question.
Good thing my OTA's are working to compensate but why the problems with the satellite HD locals from DTV?:confused:

Philadelphia area
DTV HR20 since early November, '06.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALL transponders in the 90-96% range. Had a tech out to check connections and dish alignment--everything ok there but still have issues losing local HD from sat.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
What are your #'s for your 99 and 103 sat.

Also how long are the runs between your dish and your receiver

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sat 99:
96, 48, 99, 49, 95, 88 (Transponders 1-6)

Sat 103:
0, 0, 98, 95, 99, 88 (Transponders 1-6)

Appx. 35 feet to dish from HR20 but connector halfway through (connected 2 cables together).

· Registered
12,609 Posts
Those readings look great.

Do you more than one HiDef Receiver and/or DVR? Do they all have this problem? This has not been a widely reported problem, so most likely something is wrong with your Receiver, DVR or dish/multiswitch equipment. The challenge is to narrow down the root cause.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only one HR20, no other DVR or HD equipment. As stated previously, this has happened on an H20 and one other HR20 before I received my current HR20. Reported to DTV CSR with no luck so far. No blockages of the dish or any other problem observed. Tech that was out thought this was an HD related problem and notified DTV but no follow up so far, did not seem confident.

Could this be a problem with MPEG-4 decoding as all other HD channels are excellent?

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That, to me, is not good enough. When you look at the DTV forums, others across the country are seeing this issue (such as in LA).

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
I have seen in my area that DirecTV pixelation on my locals follows pixelation OTA. In other words, when I see this problem, it is usually the source feed, not DirecTV. Of course, that doesn't ncessarily apply to your situation.

· Legend
211 Posts
I have only one problem with my locals (Grand Rapids, MI) channel 3. Whenever a program is broadcast in HD, my DD cuts in and out. But some people I talk to don't have that problem. Any ideas of how to fix it?

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
tadam said:
I have only one problem with my locals (Grand Rapids, MI) channel 3. Whenever a program is broadcast in HD, my DD cuts in and out. But some people I talk to don't have that problem. Any ideas of how to fix it?
Which network is it? And what type of receiver do you have? What's your set-up?

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Maybe. But then I would think lots more people would be complaining about it.
Don't know about the OPs area, but many people have had problems with some of the Tampa locals, esp. those networks transmitted in 1080i. It appears that it has improved recently. Can't say myself -- I'm still on a phase III dish myself, so only use OTA for the locals.

· Legend
129 Posts
Interesting to find this topic I was about to post about a similar problem. Only my problem is with the Mpeg 2 HD channels. I also get excellent signal strength on the 110 and 119 satelites but for the last 2 weeks the channels between 72-79 have been pixelating a lot and getting the same 771 error. It only effects my HR20 since my other receiver is an SD directivo and my SD channels are all fine.

ETA: My HD locals have been perfect.

· DBSTalk Club Member
146 Posts
I have seen some pixelation on mpeg4 ABC-Boston (the station I watch the most) since 0x10b that didn't seem to be there previously. Interestingly enough, I quit watching the HR10 OTA because of the audio drop outs (6.3 issue), now starting to see infrequent pixelation on mpeg4, but not on OTA on the HR20. I haven't noticed it on other channels, or have had time to do a comparison, because I haven't really been watching anything other than the news since all of our favorite shows are in re-runs right now. I have 3 - HR20's (2 component, 1 HDMI) with 0x10b and 2 - HR10's (1 component, 1 HDMI) with 6.3a and have noticed similar results on all boxes. Signal strength is not an issue.

· Icon
545 Posts
Dave_S said:
I have seen some pixelation on mpeg4 ABC-Boston (the station I watch the most) since 0x10b that didn't seem to be there previously. Interestingly enough, I quit watching the HR10 OTA because of the audio drop outs (6.3 issue), now starting to see infrequent pixelation on mpeg4, but not on OTA on the HR20. I haven't noticed it on other channels, or have had time to do a comparison, because I haven't really been watching anything other than the news since all of our favorite shows are in re-runs right now. I have 3 - HR20's (2 component, 1 HDMI) with 0x10b and 2 - HR10's (1 component, 1 HDMI) with 6.3a and have noticed similar results on all boxes. Signal strength is not an issue.
I used to have this problem with all Boston locals, but have not seen it in a while!
MPEG4 locals have improved over the last couple of months. !

· Godfather
452 Posts
Dave_S said:
Don't confuse "pixelation" with macroblocking. Normally pixelation is a result of weak or marginal signals. Macroblocking is a result of over-compression or a result of the digital encoder being unable to keep up with the motion on the screen.

Macroblocking is frequently seen on action sports, particularly football where you have close-ups of action. Macroblocking is also common during the 1st second or so after a scene change, again where there is a lot of fine detail.

The problem we're seeing here in Houston with the MPEG-4 locals is absolutely macroblocking from too much compression.

You will also see macroblocking on some of your OTA locals, especially if the broadcaster is multicasting (i.e., running sub channels). These so-called experts will tell you that they can squeeze an HD signal down to 14 Mbps (or less) and for talking heads (i.e., a newscast) or an old movie it looks acceptable. But it does NOT look acceptable during any action sports. However, by reducing the main channel down to 14 Mbps or less it gives them the ability to create sub-channels and sell more advertising. That's what it's all about, selling advertising.

By contrast, if you have OTA available look at a FOX HD broadcast of a NFL game. It's damn near flawless. Why? because FOX does not multicast and thus allocates the entire 19.2 mbps channel bandwidth to their HD signal and the result is gorgeous. FOX also was late to the HD party and so therefore has somewhat newer equipment than stations who have been offering HD for many years. That DOES make a difference.

Here's an EXCELENT article on the subject, written in terms anyone can understand.
http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleid=CA6400524

2 Posts
I have constant problem with locals - pixilation and code 771 (Detroit area). Four visits to check equipment and installation, 3 receivers (HR20s) and endless phone calls to DTV. Two weeks ago I’ve been informed that there is a problem between local channels and DTV and “they” are working on a fix. After 2 weeks nothing is improving and the local channels are working on and off. Would you buy a car which works only 50% of time?

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Macroblocking"is not the issue here as this happens frequently, and more noticeable during local news broadcasts or when light weather around area. This is not acceptable since all other HD channels are fine, even during weather situations.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.