DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just learned of a PCTV HD Mini Stick made by Pinnacle that can pick up OTA HD locals on your PC. It works by using a standard USB port. It looks like a flash drive stick.

My question is, I believe my 722 also a a USB port. Could something like this be possible to insert into my receiver in order to capture OTA local HD signals?

Has any of the technologically advanced people in here ever heard about something like this? Dish does not currently offer locals in High Def in my area yet and I hate to install an outside antenna.

· Mentor
45 Posts
cptaylor said:
I tried the indoor antenna and it didn't work. I guess I was confused that this hardware would actually work like an antenna.

Thanks!
It doesn't work like an antenna...you have to connect an antenna to the OTA/antenna port. If you're getting decent signals with the USB device, an indoor antenna would probably be sufficient for your needs. Just hook it up to the coax port on the back of the 722 that is labeled for OTA/ATSC/antenna, and go into the setup menu and tell it to search for OTA channels. Also make sure that your analog type is set to over-the-air instead of cable (also somewhere in the setup menus).

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
cptaylor said:
I tried the indoor antenna and it didn't work. I guess I was confused that this hardware would actually work like an antenna.

Thanks!
The Pinnacle equipment works with an OTA antenna in order to get your HD Locals, you need an antenna that will pick up the OTA signals to work with the Pinnacle tuner as well as the OTA tuner in the 722 and other Dish HD recievers.

· Hall Of Fame
2,497 Posts
The Pinnacle equipment also requires you to install software on your PC in order to get it to work. Since you can't install that software on a 722 it will never work when connected to that receiver's USB port.

As for getting your 722 it receive you local channels you likely just need a better antenna. Go to http://www.antennaweb.org and put in your zip code and the site will give you information about what type antenna you need and the direction of your local stations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.