DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HD Observer: DIRECTV Needs More HDTV Movie Channels

Washington, D.C. (November 30, 2006) -- I've been a DIRECTV subscriber for five years; an HD subscriber for almost two. When I finally bought the set (Sony Grand WEGA 50-inch flat-screen) and HD/TiVo, I decided to trim down my movie programming package since I presumed that the HD experience would spoil me.

.....
Read the rest of the story at: TVPredictions.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
When will people realize that D*'s just out of bandwidth to add more national HD channels until D10/D11 go into service? Yes, they could shut down some PPV SD channels, like they do for NFL-ST/SF but then you'd have a bunch of folks posting about the lack of PPV channels on D*.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
RAD said:
When will people realize that D*'s just out of bandwidth to add more national HD channels until D10/D11 go into service? Yes, they could shut down some PPV SD channels, like they do for NFL-ST/SF but then you'd have a bunch of folks posting about the lack of PPV channels on D*.
Agreed, there is no bandwidth at this point to add any HD (heck, some would say there isn't enough to properly send the current channels).

However, an average consumer doesn't know or care about provider infrastructure -- only content and costs. If somebody down the street gets a desired channel and they themselves do not, they're unhappy.

You'd think, though, that someone writing at that site would be informed enough to understand the current situation and D*'s future plans.

If all goes well (which is far from a given for D* these days), this (and hopefully "HD-Lite") will be a thing of the past.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
Is there any reason D* could not add a few more national HD channels now, with the understanding that they would be temporarily removed while Sunday Ticket games are on, until the new sats are operational?
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
147 Posts
paulman182 said:
Is there any reason D* could not add a few more national HD channels now, with the understanding that they would be temporarily removed while Sunday Ticket games are on, until the new sats are operational?
They already remove at least one national HD channel now when Sunday Ticket was on. I'm guessing you missed all the complaints when TNT HD was removed during the first few weeks of football (over fear of missing NASCAR in HD). Later on in the season, they kept TNT HD up, but pulled one of the other national HD channels. Do you really want to see the complaints when they remove more than one national HD channel on sunday?
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
RAD said:
When will people realize that D*'s just out of bandwidth to add more national HD channels until D10/D11 go into service? Yes, they could shut down some PPV SD channels, like they do for NFL-ST/SF but then you'd have a bunch of folks posting about the lack of PPV channels on D*.
Are you saying that the Ka birds are not ready? I thought they were already up.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
554 Posts
RAD said:
When will people realize that D*'s just out of bandwidth to add more national HD channels until D10/D11 go into service? Yes, they could shut down some PPV SD channels, like they do for NFL-ST/SF but then you'd have a bunch of folks posting about the lack of PPV channels on D*.
when will D* launch SAT10 and SAT11
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
ptwat said:
Are you saying that the Ka birds are not ready? I thought they were already up.
There will be a total of four KA satellites by the end of 2007. Spaceway 1 & 2 have been launched and are being used for providing local into local HD channels. These two satellites have only spotbeams on them, no CONUS beams hence no new national HD channels.

DirecTV 10 and 11 are the next two KA satellites to go up, not sure of the exact dates, I think D10 has an April/May date. Once those go up then they will have room to add more national HD channels.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
White_Horse said:
They already remove at least one national HD channel now when Sunday Ticket was on. I'm guessing you missed all the complaints when TNT HD was removed during the first few weeks of football (over fear of missing NASCAR in HD). Later on in the season, they kept TNT HD up, but pulled one of the other national HD channels. Do you really want to see the complaints when they remove more than one national HD channel on sunday?
Technically they would not be "removing" the new channels. They would be "adding" them for the remainder of the week.

I think the complaints would be much reduced because consumers would know in advance it would happen. I hope it would be explained to them when they signed on for the "HD Limited Package," or whatever it would be called.

Most people would appreciate more HD even if it was for 6.5 days per week, as long as they knew that in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
You seem to forget, to add any new HD channel now, even for part time, something else would need to be discontinued. We then get into the problem that D* might turn off a SD channel that you want then you're upset about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
I actually like that idea of using ST channels Mon-Sat for national HD networks. It would show the D* is trying to take care of it's customers while the remaining satellites are launched, positioned and made ready for carrying their signals. I don't know if there are any significant costs that D* would incur, but it would sure make them more appealing in the near term while Brand X has the temporary HD advantage.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
253 Posts
How about D* using the ST HDs for new nationals after the end of the regular season and then utilize the new satellites once they are up. Best of both worlds or am I missing something?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
RAD said:
You seem to forget, to add any new HD channel now, even for part time, something else would need to be discontinued. We then get into the problem that D* might turn off a SD channel that you want then you're upset about that.
On Sunday they take away TNTHD and the Interactive Channels (I assume the interactives go to make way for the Player Tracker.)

But they have 7 HD ST channels this week for the early games. It would seem like they would have room for 5 or 6 additional HD channels the rest of the week:)

No, I would not advocate the removal of any other channels.

EDIT: Maybe there is something about football games that allows them to take up less bandwidth than normal HD channels, and to add even one HD channel would take more bandwidth than all the ST HD channels. I am theorizing without full technical knowledge, but it is something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
paulman182 said:
On Sunday they take away TNTHD and the Interactive Channels (I assume the interactives go to make way for the Player Tracker.)

But they have 7 HD ST channels this week for the early games. It would seem like they would have room for 5 or 6 additional HD channels the rest of the week:)

No, I would not advocate the removal of any other channels.

EDIT: Maybe there is something about football games that allows them to take up less bandwidth than normal HD channels, and to add even one HD channel would take more bandwidth than all the ST HD channels. I am theorizing without full technical knowledge, but it is something to think about.
You also missed that they take down all the SD PPV channels (that's a lot of channels) to free up the bandwidth for the NFL-ST games.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
219 Posts
RAD said:
When will people realize that D*'s just out of bandwidth to add more national HD channels until D10/D11 go into service? Yes, they could shut down some PPV SD channels, like they do for NFL-ST/SF but then you'd have a bunch of folks posting about the lack of PPV channels on D*.
How many people reeally buy PPV anymore????? I rearly do. $4 is just too much. I might if they would cut the channels in half for bandwidth and bring our HD PPV for $4
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
864 Posts
This is another reason to advocate new subscribers going with HD cable or Dish HD right now. They both have a lot more HD content available than DirectV. With the high amount of HD TV's being purchased this year. The HD sets are flying off the shelves this year at all the Best Buys, Circuit City's, Wal-Mart or where ever. People are not going to wait on DirectV to play catch up. Even though I have DirectV I am still telling everyone to go with Dish if they go satellite and want HD content. Or even some of the cable providers have a lot more content than DirectV. Direct waited to long to get in on the ground floor. Cutting off customers channels on Sunday so some can watch 15 football games at the same time is not the answer. Direct has known for years that HD was coming to the customers. Customers will not wait for Direct to provide HD content available right now to them.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
279 Posts
D* needs to lose some of the shopping channels and religious channels at least until the new satellites are up. If they could just get HGTV HD , Starz, and National Geographic HD by dumping some of these other channels, they would have a shot at more subscribers and be HD competitive with E*. The E* VOOM channels are pretty much a joke. I seriously doubt too many top level customers are currently attracted to sign up to D* because they have the most shopping or church channels. Doesn't D* have any business sense anymore? It seems like they lost it when Ruppert became involved.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
RAD said:
You also missed that they take down all the SD PPV channels (that's a lot of channels) to free up the bandwidth for the NFL-ST games.
Uh yes, I did miss that, sorry.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
189 Posts
So it seems like to me, you can switch away from DirecTV for it's current HDTV offering and go to one of the other companies. Then I suppose, you will want to switch back in the summer when they begin offering more HD channels than the competitors.

At this point in time, it's not that much longer before DirecTV will be adding a lot more channels, so I don't really understand the complaints.

The only thing I was really unhappy with was not being able to get my locals in HD because I am too far away to receive them OTA. Now that I receive my locals in HD via the dish, I think I can wait another 7 months for new content.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top