DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
24,395 Posts
I just hope that they never move the MPEG-4 of TNT and ESPN etc, back to 110 and 119 to let MDUs get caught up. By the time they shut off the MPEG2- versions, they should be caught up and not need to do like they are doing now with the west coast DNS feeds... Has anyone heard any word what kind of deadline the MDUs are up against? I had heard that it was august or September, but haven't heard anything recently.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
After the 31st most markets that already have HD locals will only need 99-101-103 birds to have a full line of channels, with one exception of PBS HD that should be added soon.

Many HD LiLs markets will be added from D11,D12 that can be fully serviced by 99-101-103 sats. :)
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,035 Posts
Ave you saying that after the 31st that you can compare 206 (MPEG4) and 73 (MPEG2) if you have the HR 20? or, will this IRD see the MPEG4 on 73 as well?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
satelliteracer announced that initially the 70's will stay the current mpeg 2 feed and the 200+ numbers will be mpeg 4. I expect eventually when the mpeg2 is shut off some of the 70's will get remapped to the mpeg 4 version while others may be dropped depending on contractual things like espn being in the 70s is apparently based on their contract so should stay.
 

· I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
11,448 Posts
evan_s said:
I expect eventually when the mpeg2 is shut off some of the 70's will get remapped to the mpeg 4 version while others may be dropped depending on contractual things like espn being in the 70s is apparently based on their contract so should stay.
I don't think that's the case. I think ESPN's contract (like CNNs) is that they be in the low-200s, e.g., the lowest generally-available channel. When the MPEG2 feeds are cutoff entirely, I expect the 70's to go away entirely.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
24,395 Posts
evan_s said:
satelliteracer announced that initially the 70's will stay the current mpeg 2 feed and the 200+ numbers will be mpeg 4. I expect eventually when the mpeg2 is shut off some of the 70's will get remapped to the mpeg 4 version while others may be dropped depending on contractual things like espn being in the 70s is apparently based on their contract so should stay.
the 70's are going to go away completely and permanently, and very soon... I'm guessing by the end of September. The only hold up is getting the MDU's in line and finishing offering all current MPEG-2 HD only customers free upgrades...
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,481 Posts
inkahauts said:
the 70's are going to go away completely and permanently, and very soon... I'm guessing by the end of September. The only hold up is getting the MDU's in line and finishing offering all current MPEG-2 HD only customers free upgrades...
a most interesting side effect is that people with mobile dishes (King Controls, and KVH) are getting MPEG-2 on their HD sets, and when MPEG-2 turns off, they will have to get a new satellite dish, like the Motosat or the Winegard, which will cost them another 2,500
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
curt8403 said:
a most interesting side effect is that people with mobile dishes (King Controls, and KVH) are getting MPEG-2 on their HD sets, and when MPEG-2 turns off, they will have to get a new satellite dish, like the Motosat or the Winegard, which will cost them another 2,500
If you can afford to fill up on of those things these days then 2,500 shouldn't make you blink. :D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top