DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am long term (10 yrs +) DTV customer. I recently moved and upgraded one receiver to an R15. I have no complaints. The picture on my 17 yr old 27" mitsubishi is fantastic on SD with dolby digital surround. I have finally convinced the wife that we need a 40" lcd tv (biggest size that will fit into the built in cabinet). I am considering the Samsung and Sony 40" lcds.

I have spend hours on this forum and others trying to educate myself on what to expect with the SD programming on DTV when I upgrade. Near as I can figure, the answer is, it depends. It depends on the tv manufacturer, tv size. distance from tv, tv type (lcd vs plasma vs dlp vs fp vs rp). Additionally, I am worried about the quality and availability of the HD-DVR equipment.

I will be feeding all my components (dvd, vcr, DTV HD rcvr) through my surround receiver (Onkyo SR604) via the HDMI inputs, S-video inputs and using the HDMI out to the HDTV. the receiver has up-conversion.

I live in NW Houston, about 30 miles from downtown. I have no idea what kind of reception I might get with an OTA HD antenna.

If anyone can shed some light on my concerns or point me to other websites that will help I would be most appreciative. thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
In August I bought one of the LCD HDTVs rated best at SD, a 32 inch Panasonic.

SD from D* looks poor, in my opinion. And as screen size goes up, it will look worse.

You'll get used to it--we have--and the HD will make the upgrade worthwhile. But if you are sensitive to picture quality, don't expect much from SD on your HDTV.

That's my experience with my TV and many others observed in showrooms, others may have a different opinion.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
I have a 60" Sony SXRD that looks great with SD - I was surprised about this. It is only when you switch from HD to SD that are being broadcast simultaneously (like hockey) and one switches back and forth that one is not happy with the SD.

·
Godfather
373 Posts
I have a 55" tv and I'm okay with the SD picture. I think if you try to stretch a 4:3 picture to 16:9 it will go to crap really quickly. Luckily, the HR20 can put pillar boxes on all 4:3 content and it makes it look okay. It can also upconvert to 1080i, which is nice...with cable the moto box was always changing resolution and it was a pain in the rear.

On a somewhat related note, the best advice I'd ever heard on TV buying was from Digital Life TV (cnet). Always turn the thing off and look at the screen. Does the screen look BLACK or does it look smokey or gray? Since the color back on a TV is actually the absence of light, the darkest you'll ever get is the screen color when turned off.

I was going to buy a Sony until I saw it's gray screen color. My Mits seems to provide much richer color.

Let us know how it goes!!

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Reggie3 said:
I have a 60" Sony SXRD that looks great with SD - I was surprised about this. It is only when you switch from HD to SD that are being broadcast simultaneously (like hockey) and one switches back and forth that one is not happy with the SD.
Nothing personal, but your standards for great are different than mine...and I've used a Sony SXRD and a Panny plasma, both calibrated. You can get some SD on D* to look "good," but you'll never get a great SD picture from D* -- there is simply too much compression being used. Sports are particularly bad. I've seen great SD pictures from uncompressed analog on a BUD, and D* ain't it (though it used to be much closer).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.