DBSTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing with my HR20 that when we get rain or wind I get pixelation or outages on my HD channels, both mpeg2 and mpeg4. The same channels on SD are fine, so I'm wondering is this just an issue with HD or is it a dish pointing issue?

I know long ago when I had Direcway that rain/snow would knock out my internet but the TV was still perfect. Is the HD signal weaker than the SD signal or am I just not aimed right?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,438 Posts
It is likely a peaking issue. I'd guess that your skew isn't right if one satellite is good and the other isn't.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
dhammis said:
I'm noticing with my HR20 that when we get rain or wind I get pixelation or outages on my HD channels, both mpeg2 and mpeg4. The same channels on SD are fine, so I'm wondering is this just an issue with HD or is it a dish pointing issue?

I know long ago when I had Direcway that rain/snow would knock out my internet but the TV was still perfect. Is the HD signal weaker than the SD signal or am I just not aimed right?
A couple factors:

1. MPEG-4's rae on a different bird and the dish may not be right on them yet (pointing problem)

2. The bit rate on HD is higher, so for a given "drop out" there will be more missing bits on HD than on SD. This "might" account for part of it. Also, each transponder on a given bird has a different strength, so you could have less of a fade margin on an HD channel, just out of luck.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
And if it happens with normal wind that you can regularly expect, sure sounds like a pointing issue.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
I have the same problem. My HD locals come in on the 103 sat and the signal strength on that one is all over the place.

So I had DTV come out and make sure the dish was pointed correctly and everything. Well their wonderful service person suggested I get a new box! All the other birds come in at 90+, but 103 on a great day is 70, on an average day is around 40. When I protested about the new box, he then suggested that a tree was blocking my view of the sky. It's on my roof top! There is a very large tree about 75 to the left of the dish, but I doubt any of my channels would come in if that was the case.

So all in all, I waited half a day for nothing. The guy would not even get up on the roof to look at the dish!

Awesome service!

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
This is because these techs have not invested in a satellite meter that will allow
them to peak 103 or 99. They peak for 101,119,109. They say if you can get a
strong 101, your 103 and 99 will be fine.

Here is a message to the installers..........Buy some new equipment. You might actually get some tips to recover the cost!

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are my signal strengths on a clear day:

101: 94 81 90 18 92 86 8 85
92 83 91 86 94 86 91 86
91 0 89 95 91 89 92 89
92 0 92 0 95 89 89 87
110: 53 69 53
119: 95 91 92 91 97 96 92 96 96 95 96
99: 0 0 0 0 0 0
103: 86 0 0 0 88 0

I've got the AT9 dish with the monopoles. Not sure about the rubber booted connectors, but it is grounded and does have drip loops.

The numbers on the 99 and 103 concern me a bit. Considering that I went with D* for their HD content and the HR20 (which so far I love) I'd be rather upset if everytime we get some weather I'll lose signal and/or shows.

Also, I'm in the Dallas area if that makes any difference. Total Choice Premier, Sunday Ticket, HD & Local HD.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
If your Dallas locals come in off 103 then you're fine. Both 99 and 103 are spotbeams only so you'll see a zero on many of the transponders. For me I have several on 99 and 103 around 20-40 but I'm inbetween 3 markets with HD locals so I'm on the edge of all their spotbeams. Once my locals are lit up then I'll get one or two transponders up in the 80s if peaked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.