DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had time to set up my 5LNB dish at this point. I know there are some HD channels that work with the old round dish. My question is this: If I get a new HD receiver, should those HD channels work with the old wiring and multiswitch, or do I need to get a Zinwell multiswitch (problem is I don't want to buy a 2 input Zinwell when I will need to buy a 4 input Zinwell shortly). I wanted to ask this before buying the HD DVR. Otherwise, I'll wait to buy the HD DVR for when I have time to set up the new 5LNB dish.

Thanks for your advise.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But, will the HD work with the old setup (non Zinwell multi switch) with the round 2 LNB dish? I know over and over on this site it says that HD needs a zinwell multi switch but everywhere I saw it, they were discussing the 5LNB oval dish never the round 2LNB dish.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
The standard "round" dish is a single LNB dish pointed at 101. There is no HD programming there, but your receiver will work to pull in everything from 101 (standard-def). In order to get HD, you must have the Slimline dish, and if you need more than 4 outputs, you need a Zinwell WB68 or WB616 multiswitch.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told on this site that "ESPN, ESPN2, HBO, SHO, UHD, TNT, HDTH, HDNM, HDN and they will be moved from SAT's 110 and 119 over to the new SAT (D11: 99c) some thime in the future (probably not to long from now)." I asked this on 6/1/08. Have they been moved over?

· Registered
5,915 Posts
bubbaart15 said:
I was told on this site that "ESPN, ESPN2, HBO, SHO, UHD, TNT, HDTH, HDNM, HDN and they will be moved from SAT's 110 and 119 over to the new SAT (D11: 99c) some thime in the future (probably not to long from now)." I asked this on 6/1/08. Have they been moved over?
They are mirrored right now and you can receive them from 99 and 110. 99 are the ones in the XXX channels and MPEG4 plus where they will stay in the future. 110 is just for backwards compatibility plus is in MPEG2 and XX channels.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grentz said:
They are mirrored right now and you can receive them from 99 and 110. 99 are the ones in the XXX channels and MPEG4 plus where they will stay in the future. 110 is just for backwards compatibility plus is in MPEG2 and XX channels.
So, you're saying, if I get an HD DVR Reciever, I should be able to see the HD channels with my round dish (with the way it was set up originally) until they stop mirroring them on the 110. What do you mean by xx channels? Does that mean they are from 01 to 99? Will I need to change any settings on the HD receiver? I think I'll get one tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks for all the help. :)

· Registered
8,035 Posts
bubbaart15 said:
So, you're saying, if I get an HD DVR Reciever, I should be able to see the HD channels with my round dish (with the way it was set up originally) until they stop mirroring them on the 110. What do you mean by xx channels? Does that mean they are from 01 to 99? Will I need to change any settings on the HD receiver? I think I'll get one tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks for all the help. :)
No, you will not get any HD channels with the basic 18" dish. It only "sees" the 101 sat position. All current HD channels come from the 99 and 103 sat positions. The "legacy" HD channels on the 110/119 are now mirrored on 99/103.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
I think you are confused on what dish you have. There are a few types of dishes:

Standard 18" Round (technically an oval): Sees 101
Phase II: Sees 101/119
Phase III (Old HD Dish): Sees 101/110/119
Slimline/Sidecar: Sees 99/101/103/110/119

Check out this page to ID your dish and see what it receives:
http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/directv_dish_antenna_types.asp

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grentz said:
I think you are confused on what dish you have. There are a few types of dishes:

Standard 18" Round (technically an oval): Sees 101
Phase II: Sees 101/119
Phase III (Old HD Dish): Sees 101/110/119
Slimline/Sidecar: Sees 99/101/103/110/119

Check out this page to ID your dish and see what it receives:
http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/directv_dish_antenna_types.asp
You're right, I misunderstood what dish sees what sat. My bad. I guess I'll need to wait until I have time to set up the new slimline dish I have. Thanks for teaching me the difference. I was under the impression that the round 18" dish received more than it did and now that I look, I see what you mean. Thanks for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.