DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been subscribing to Direct TV for about 2 years now, have two TV hook up, both with model R10 DVR's I'm thinking about purchasing a HD large screen TV soon and am debating what would be my best choice for viewing. I see I can pay $10 a month to Direct TV for their content, but I live in a city (Rochester NY) that Direct TV doesn't offer the locals in HD yet. So the way I understand it, I'd need to hook up an antenna and let the locals filter through the box, then watch. So what am I paying the $10 for then a handful of stations?? If I were to buy the HD DVR, I believe that will let me record my locals throughthe box onto the DVR?

My other option would be to pay nothing extra, and just make sure the TV I buy has a bult in tuner and wathc direct. However we record alot of stuff for future viewing, so wouldn't be able to do that then I blieve?

Since I'm a current subsciber, will I be able to get any kind of deal on equipment? Currently I'm not on the lease deal, I bought my equipment back then. Even though the $10 doesn't seem to provide much content, may be worthwhile to do only so I can record locals? Will reception be good using an OTA antenna? Will the new box give me the "active channels"?

I'm also wondering how much would a similar set up cost in extras if I went back to cable?

Suggestions? Ideas?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
The $10 a month HD Package from D* has nothing to do with the HD locals. When your area is lit up for the HD locals via the MPEG4 signals, you will get that free if you subscribe to a package that includes your SD locals.

The HD DVR that you would need to receive your HD locals via satellite is the HR20. That is not currently programmed (or "turned on") for receiving OTA signals. I have read on here that a target date for enabling that capability in the HR20 is December 1st (note: Target Date).

The HR10-250 does record HD OTA, but will not be able to receive the MPEG4 HD locals from the satellite when they are turned on in your area. And the availability of HR10-250 units through D* is pretty much "miss" right now - not even hit or miss. You would need to buy one off of eBay or something like that.

The H20 HD receiver (not DVR) will pick up MPEG4 HD locals (when available) and DOES have a pretty good OTA tuner. Also, any further added national HD channels (sometime in the latter half of 2007 or so?) will be MPEG4 signals.

The $10 HD Package includes channels like HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, Discovery HD, TNT-HD (and maybe a couple others - going from memory here). Again, you do not need to subscribe to that to receive your locals in HD.

That doesn't answer all your questions, but I hope it gives you a start!

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.... So sounds like I may be best to just buy the HD TV, but not change anything with Direct. Eventually when the HR20 can handle OTA, then buy one. For now, I can still record anything in SD, watch HD live, just can't record it, which is a pain as we watch alot of taped stuff. I'm not likely to buy the new TV till year end anyway, so by then, maybe the HR 20 will be working for OTA. The only channel in the HD package that I'd be interested in is ESPN anyway.

Thanks!!

·
Legend
234 Posts
Ed_Roch said:
For now, I can still record anything in SD, watch HD live, just can't record it, which is a pain as we watch alot of taped stuff. I'm not likely to buy the new TV till year end anyway, so by then, maybe the HR 20 will be working for OTA. The only channel in the HD package that I'd be interested in is ESPN anyway.

Thanks!!
If you receive your locals from NYC you can receive and record HD locals via satellite (MPEG-2) with the HR10-250 in addition to receiving and recording HD locals OTA.

As already mentioned, the HD package isn't required for HD locals, i.e., there won't be any additional charge for HD locals if you're already receiving the SD version of those channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.