DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Directtv install person out here today and was so confused on what to do I told him not to install and rescheduled with a different installer. In preparation for next time could use some help on what the correct install should be. I currently have DirectTv with 3 lines coming into garage then from garage 2 lines go to living room and 1 line goes to another room and that receiver feeds rest of tvs in house. In living room I currently have 2 directtv tivos connected via a multiswitch with 2 lines coming out of wall into multiswitch which then feed the tivos. For the new HD receiver (non tivo as was not available) how many additional lines need to be run into house? The guy was saying I needed 2 additional lines and he couldnt figure out how to get line into living room. Is it correct that I will need 3 lines in living room to feed the new receiver?

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
If I understand your current configuration correctly, then the installer was correct. See my diagrams .....

For HiDef your installer will probably want to install a new AT9 or SlimLine 5-LNB dish, but even with the older 3-LNB dish you cannot use a 2x4 multiswitch to distrubute all of the satellite signals required for the HiDef channels. So I think your best bet is to change your configuration as I've diagrammed ....

1) Have the installer change your dish to the 5-LNB HiDef dish
2) Have the installer provide a new Zinwell WB68 6x8 multiswitch
3) Run a fourth line from the dish to your garage where the new multiswitch will go
4) Run additional cables to the Living Room for all of your DVRs and the new HiDef Receiver. You cannot use a multiswitch there and properly pass the HiDef satellite signals.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
DBSTalk Club Member
129 Posts
Litzdog911,

Forgive me, I'm jumping into this thread to ask a follow-on question. If I don't use a Zinwell WB68 6x8 multiswitch, but rather just connect between the AT9 outputs and each receiver, one H20 and one or more old RCAs, what happens? What is the advantage to adding the WB68?

Thanks

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
satwood said:
Litzdog911,

Forgive me, I'm jumping into this thread to ask a follow-on question. If I don't use a Zinwell WB68 6x8 multiswitch, but rather just connect between the AT9 outputs and each receiver, one H20 and one or more old RCAs, what happens? What is the advantage to adding the WB68?

Thanks
The only advantage is that with the WB68 you can feed more than four tuners. There have been reports that with the first batch of Slimline dishes a WB68 was required in order to obtain proper switching and Directv has supplied the multiswitches in those cases, even if there were four tuners or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.