DBSTalk Forum banner

HD Satellite locations?

4767 Views 25 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  oldengineer
My installer came out today after I spent hours trimming tree limbs and told me I could not get the HD channels due to a tree in my front yard. Could someone tell me what degree the SD and HD Satellite's are at? I had a line of site for the SD satellites. He explained that DirecTV would be going to a different type dish soon but it would only pick up SD and not HD. This is the second time they were out. Friday they showed up at 6pm instead at 12pm-4pm. The first installer told me if I trimmed a few limbs, I trimmed a lot more, I'd receive SD and HD with no problem.:mad:
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
sd72667 said:
My installer came out today after I spent hours trimming tree limbs and told me I could not get the HD channels due to a tree in my front yard. Could someone tell me what degree the SD and HD Satellite's are at? I had a line of site for the SD satellites. He explained that DirecTV would be going to a different type dish soon but it would only pick up SD and not HD. This is the second time they were out. Friday they showed up at 6pm instead at 12pm-4pm. The first installer told me if I trimmed a few limbs, I trimmed a lot more, I'd receive SD and HD with no problem.:mad:
currently there are satellites at 101 for SD, 99 and 103 for HD and 110 and 119 for HD (Backups)
Check out dishpointer.com. Pick the 5LNB direcTV dish.
OverThereTooMuch said:
Check out dishpointer.com. Pick the 5LNB direcTV dish.
Thanks guys. I have been on dishpointer.com since yesterday and thats how I knew which trees to trim. It shows 99, 101, 103 I can get. Are there channels I need on 110 and 119?
6PM on a Friday before the start of a holiday weekend. Hmmm, bet he was thinking happy hour.
sd72667 said:
Thanks guys. I have been on dishpointer.com since yesterday and thats how I knew which trees to trim. It shows 99, 101, 103 I can get. Are there channels I need on 110 and 119?
for now, yes. per the install rules. later this month no.

do you know where your locals are?
curt8403 said:
for now, yes. per the install rules. later this month no.

do you know where your locals are?
Yes, but I am not paying for the locals. So they will not install unless LOS to 110 and 119? What is later this month?
sd72667 said:
Yes, but I am not paying for the locals. So they will not install unless LOS to 110 and 119? What is later this month?
A new slimline dish with 3 LNBs for 99/101/103 only. But it will only be offered in markets that do not depend on 110/119 for their locals. If your locals are available in HD now(i.e. on 99 or 103), you'll be go to go. Be available in a month or two.

If the installer was talking about a new dish, he probably said HD only, not SD only. But the exact rules are not out yet. But that he is talking about the new dish is a good sign for your area.
2dogz said:
A new slimline dish with 3 LNBs for 99/101/103 only. But it will only be offered in markets that do not depend on 110/119 for their locals. If your locals are available in HD now(i.e. on 99 or 103), you'll be go to go. Be available in a month or two.

If the installer was talking about a new dish, he probably said HD only, not SD only. But the exact rules are not out yet. But that he is talking about the new dish is a good sign for your area.
My installer today told me all of the HD channels were on 110/119 sats. I have LOS for 99/101/103 sats. What I have read here in the last few days I thought he was wrong. I'm in desperation mode! Should I call DirecTV or the installer's company? What should be my next move? :confused:
sd72667 said:
My installer today told me all of the HD channels were on 110/119 sats. I have LOS for 99/101/103 sats. What I have read here in the last few days I thought he was wrong. I'm in desperation mode! Should I call DirecTV or the installer's company? What should be my next move? :confused:
'call the installer, ask for a supervisor.
sd72667 said:
wait till oct 8th, then 110/119 will not matter on a install anymore
Johnnie5000 said:
wait till oct 8th, then 110/119 will not matter on a install anymore
If I wait, I'll miss part of the NFL Ticket. :nono2:
sd72667 said:
If I wait, I'll miss part of the NFL Ticket. :nono2:
Well, then there is the chainsaw.

Right now, D* insists on having all five sats for install. Them's the rules.
2dogz said:
Well, then there is the chainsaw.

Right now, D* insists on having all five sats for install. Them's the rules.
I was chainsawing for 3 hours today. :eek2: Does DirecTV lose many customers
due to LOS problems? Eventually I will get service, even if I have to do a self install.
That is part of the reason they are moving to the setup with just 99/101/103. It's much easier to find LOS on just those. As to exactly when you might be able to get an install done with a slimline 3 that only needs 99/101/103 no one can really say exactly. If your SD locals are off 119 it may be quite a while out. A self install is definitely an option but I would recommend a SWM8 or a SWMlnb otherwise you are missing guide data when you are tuned to a channel coming from 103. It won't cause things to break immediately but can cause some issues over time.
sd72667 said:
I was chainsawing for 3 hours today. :eek2: Does DirecTV lose many customers
due to LOS problems? Eventually I will get service, even if I have to do a self install.
Unfortunately yes. :( At least here in the mountains.

If your locals don't come of the 119, (big if), get another installer out and offer to sign off on the LOS issues on the 110 and 119 and be prepared to be persuasive ($ tip). You'll get everything you need (except for possibly locals depending on where you're at) off of the 99/101/103.
If the installer still wants to say your HD comes off of the 110/119 show him this.
Oh and Oct 8th is supposed to be when the national slimline3 launch happens.
Sorry if I chose the wrong thread but I couldn't find an exact match. I finally converted my parents to Direct TV from Dish. The tech told my Dad that you can buy a satellite and patch into your home satellite feed and use the new satellite in a completely different location, anyone hear of this?

i.e. New Direct TV service installed at house in Moreno Valley, CA and want to have access to this Satellite feed from a house in Las Vegas, NV. Is this possible?

Please feel free to direct me to the correct thread if there is one and I'll go there

Thanks
what you describe is not possible

you could have sat dishes at each corner of house and connect them all together, but different states. no.
Bluegrass installers are sending out a supervisor in the morning to check the LOS.
I hope we can resolve this quickly.
eddyjrsf said:
Sorry if I chose the wrong thread but I couldn't find an exact match. I finally converted my parents to Direct TV from Dish. The tech told my Dad that you can buy a satellite and patch into your home satellite feed and use the new satellite in a completely different location, anyone hear of this?

i.e. New Direct TV service installed at house in Moreno Valley, CA and want to have access to this Satellite feed from a house in Las Vegas, NV. Is this possible?

Please feel free to direct me to the correct thread if there is one and I'll go there

Thanks
He may have been talking about a slingbox.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.