DBSTalk Forum banner

HD signal problem during storms

1799 Views 23 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  directvsocks
Hello everyone, new guy here that just found this forum. I have seen some good info here so far.

We switched over to DirecTV back in June. My only complaint about their service is their HD channels go out during a heavy rain or storm. The SD channels do not go out or it's rare they do. It's my understanding the HD signals come though another satellite and the window opening is narrow. But as much as the signal goes out with even low, thick cloud cover is ridiculous. Should have I them come out and readjust the dish to see if they can hone in on the signal better?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk, MRM!

What are your transponder signals on SAT's 103(c) and 99(c)?

BTW I am moving this to the "DIRECTV General Discussion" forum.
I don't know off the top of my head. I'll have to look at it when I get home. I want to say they are not as strong as the others. Most were in the 90's, I think those are in the 60's. I'll check tonight and post more later.
MRM said:
I don't know off the top of my head. I'll have to look at it when I get home. I want to say they are not as strong as the others. Most were in the 90's, I think those are in the 60's. I'll check tonight and post more later.
If this is the case then you definately want to get an allignment.
Welcome to DBSTalk!

Please fill in the "#'s":

Menu Button > Parental, Fav's & Setup > System Setup > Satellite (& Ant) > View Signal Strength

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)/(a))
[New national HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(c)/(b))
[Most national HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
17-24 0 NA NA NA NA 0 NA NA
See less See more
MRM said:
Hello everyone, new guy here that just found this forum. I have seen some good info here so far.

We switched over to DirecTV back in June. My only complaint about their service is their HD channels go out during a heavy rain or storm. The SD channels do not go out or it's rare they do. It's my understanding the HD signals come though another satellite and the window opening is narrow. But as much as the signal goes out with even low, thick cloud cover is ridiculous. Should have I them come out and readjust the dish to see if they can hone in on the signal better?
I have the same issue all the time during moderate to heavy rain. My signal strengths for 99c and 103c are in the 70's and 80's.

I also seem to lose my signal on 99c & 103c often at night around the same time (11:00 pm est.) even when there's no rain It usually lasts for less than an hour but it happens most nights and it impacts both my boxes.
bigben7 said:
I have the same issue all the time during moderate to heavy rain. My signal strengths for 99c and 103c are in the 70's and 80's.
Your signals could probably be about 10-15 points higher with better alignment, which would reduce the frequency and length but not totally eliminate this problem. Normally, it's difficult to get DirecTV to roll a truck if your clear weather HD tp sig's are all above 70.

bigben7 said:
I also seem to lose my signal on 99c & 103c often at night around the same time (11:00 pm est.) even when there's no rain It usually lasts for less than an hour but it happens most nights and it impacts both my boxes.
That's rather odd. Most often this type problem is reported to occur during the peak sunlight hours, indicating a temperature-related LNB problem. It could still be an LNB problem, however. That's definitely abnormal, and I suggest you call them while this is occurring in clear weather. Make sure they replace the LNB. You can get your alignment improved then as well to boost your HD tp's to mostly all in the 90's.

If you don't currently have the Protection Plan, you might want to consider adding it for a year, waiting the obligatory 30 days, and then reporting this issue. Or you can add it, pay $20 extra, and not wait 30 days. Otherwise you're going to be charged $80 for the service call.
In my case, we will be moving one TV from one room to another which will require us to get a service person to come out. When I place the service call, I will also make sure the alignment be adjusted if I find out my signal strength is weak on the HD signals. I'll check it tonight to see if that's the case.
Rain fade, or more correctly: cloud fade, is something that happens to everyone. Making sure your dish is aligned as best as possible can help to mitigate the effects.
MRM said:
In my case, we will be moving one TV from one room to another which will require us to get a service person to come out. When I place the service call, I will also make sure the alignment be adjusted if I find out my signal strength is weak on the HD signals. I'll check it tonight to see if that's the case.
Just make sure everything you want corrected is clearly communicated to the DirecTV CSR. Tech's don't appreciate having a whole load of unexpected additional responsibilities added to the job after they arrive.

And welcome to DBSTalk.com!
K4SMX said:
Your signals could probably be about 10-15 points higher with better alignment, which would reduce the frequency and length but not totally eliminate this problem. Normally, it's difficult to get DirecTV to roll a truck if your clear weather HD tp sig's are all above 70.

That's rather odd. Most often this type problem is reported to occur during the peak sunlight hours, indicating a temperature-related LNB problem. It could still be an LNB problem, however. That's definitely abnormal, and I suggest you call them while this is occurring in clear weather. Make sure they replace the LNB. You can get your alignment improved then as well to boost your HD tp's to mostly all in the 90's.

If you don't currently have the Protection Plan, you might want to consider adding it for a year, waiting the obligatory 30 days, and then reporting this issue. Or you can add it, pay $20 extra, and not wait 30 days. Otherwise you're going to be charged $80 for the service call.
I do have the protection plan so do you think I could get them out to do a realignment? Should I exaggerate and say my signals are lower than they really are?

With regards to my "night" issue it used to only happen to my local HD channels but it seems to be impacting most of my HD channels now. I did call once a few weeks ago but after a few minutes I realized the rep new less then I did (which isn't much) so I hung up.
My transponder number came up as such:

32 total at 101º

95 94 91 0 91 96 90 96
91 95 92 0 94 97 87 96
90 95 92 0 95 97 93 96
95 80 94 86 95 97 93 97

Az at 212º, Elev. at 45º, and tilt at 68º
MRM said:
My transponder number came up as such:

32 total at 101º

95 94 91 0 91 96 90 96
91 95 92 0 94 97 87 96
90 95 92 0 95 97 93 96
95 80 94 86 95 97 93 97

Az at 212º, Elev. at 45º, and tilt at 68º
OK,

Now, post the numbers for the 99(c) and 103(c) satellites, too.
bigben7 said:
I do have the protection plan so do you think I could get them out to do a realignment? Should I exaggerate and say my signals are lower than they really are?

With regards to my "night" issue it used to only happen to my local HD channels but it seems to be impacting most of my HD channels now. I did call once a few weeks ago but after a few minutes I realized the rep new less then I did (which isn't much) so I hung up.
The "night issue" should be sufficient. You should call while you are experiencing the problem, and hopefully you'll have a better CSR when you're asked to jump through all the hoops on their list. Be prepared to tell them your transponder signal strengths on 99(c)/(a) and 103(c)/(b), as applicable to your receiver type, DVR or non-DVR.
Okay, got my other numbers.

99c:
1-8 64 74 61 76 60 73 59 75
9-16 60 73 58 76 60 74 N/A N/A

103c:
1-8 72 74 71 73 70 73 69 72
9-16 72 73 69 74 70 74 N/A N/A
Those are marginal when you have any significant precip and are below DirecTV minimums of 70 on all relevant tp's. All of these are probably relevant tp's. They all carry programming you pay to receive, depending on your programming package. See the last para. of post #7, above. You may be able to get this corrected for free, since your installation was in June. There is a 90 day installation warranty.
MRM said:
Okay, got my other numbers.

99c:
1-8 64 74 61 76 60 73 59 75
9-16 60 73 58 76 60 74 N/A N/A

103c:
1-8 72 74 71 73 70 73 69 72
9-16 72 73 69 74 70 74 N/A N/A
Yes, you need your dish tweaked.
You can have your dish tweaked, but don't expect it to cure the problem. Like you I have had numerous dropouts during thunderstorms this summer -- but only on the HD channels. The SD channels are almost always unaffected while the HD channels blackout completely...and I have readings in the 90's across the board on those satellites.

The same thing will happen even if you have your dish tweaked, it just seems to be a fact of life with the HD channels.
It won't "cure the problem," but it'll definitely mitigate it.
Considering about the only thing we watch are the HD channels, that is not good. Thanks for the suggestion. I have to call to get a new line ran to another room. When I call, I will also bring up the dish alignment issue.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.